Thread: Force throw teen into the fray

vCash

Force throw teen into the fray

Western Force coach John Mitchell says he is happy to field a less experienced side for Saturday's match against the Chiefs in Perth because his team has very little chance of making the Super 14 finals.

James O'Connor, just 17, will make his starting debut alongside fly half Matt Giteau, who returns after missing the loss to Queensland with concussion.

Mitchell says the Force has nothing to lose going into the final three matches of the season.

"If we were going to still be right in the hunt to contest finals maybe I'd go for a bit more experience, but why wait til next year to let all your young guys experience Super 14?" he said.

"It's important now to get them started so when we come into the program next year, there's no guessing for any youngster."

Giteau says he is looking forward to playing alongside O'Connor in attack.

"It should be good, obviously he's got some huge raps on him," he said.

"He's a very skilful player, he's not a big player, but I think he'll create a lot in attack and that's very exciting for a guy like me.

"Hopefully I'll get a bit more space with a guy like Jimmy outside me."

James Stannard will start at scrum half with O'Connor slotting in at inside centre.

Matt Hodgson will start at Number 8 for the first time in his career.

Scott Staniforth (knee injury) Tamaiti Horua (knee), Tom Hockings (shoulder), Haig Sare (ankle) and Sam Wykes (hamstring) were all unavailable for selection.

Western Force: Pek Cowan, Tai McIsaac, Troy Takiari, David Pusey, Nathan Sharpe (c), Scott Fava, David Pocock, Matt Hodgson, James Stannard, Matt Giteau (vc), Drew Mitchell, James O'Connor, Ryan Cross, Nick Cummins, Cameron Shepherd. Reserves: Luke Holmes, Kieran Longbottom, Sitaleki Timani, Richard Brown, Chris O'Young, Scott Daruda, Dane Haylett-Petty.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...?section=sport

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    everyone as to start some time why not 17, i was not much older then that when i made my First Grade debut in the English Premier (Rugby)

vCash
    I smell some mind games there from the coach!

Yeah we've given up on it, we don't expect a lot from him, or many of the other boys we put in.......they're just there to get some experience for next year..........Never met a rugby player who wouldn't play himself to a puddle of jelly in response to a comment like that!

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    He lines up against Callum Bruce who is far from fantastic as a 12 so that is probably good for him. Its a shame Stephen Donald is in such good form though.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    They may have relaxed the rules since the Pocock ruling while I have been otherwise distracted but, if not, (and good luck to him) how can O'Connor play S14 when he is still 17?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    In the appeal to the Pocock decision they were successful in changing the rules to allow a player of any age to play so long as the club and his parents feel that he is ready (or any other necessary parties). Unfortunately this did not apply to Pocock as the decision was made after he turned 18 anyway. O'Connor is something like 100 days off being 18 but realistically whats 100 days worth of training/playing lower divisions/personal growth really going to mean at 17 and a half?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    In the appeal to the Pocock decision they were successful in changing the rules to allow a player of any age to play so long as the club and his parents feel that he is ready (or any other necessary parties). Unfortunately this did not apply to Pocock as the decision was made after he turned 18 anyway. O'Connor is something like 100 days off being 18 but realistically whats 100 days worth of training/playing lower divisions/personal growth really going to mean at 17 and a half?
    Ah, ok.
    Well really it would mean him not playing for ten months which would mean a lot in terms of his development.
    I guess at least Bam Bam won't have the "baby" mantle anymore!
    Having heard many good things but not seen him play, I hope O'Connor carves them up, good luck to him.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    He got a few minutes at the end of the Reds trial Burgs.......Carve them up is something he can do!

Didn't really get much of a chance to assess his defense as most of it was in a pile of bodies on the far side of the field, but there were no embarrassing linebreaks in the 4 or 5 minutes he got!

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Having heard many good things but not seen him play, I hope O'Connor carves them up, good luck to him.
    Yeah I was very very pleased to find out Sky was playing this one as they mistyped their schedule and so now I get to watch the boy go.