Thread: Pocock no longer sleeps with gun under bed

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Pocock no longer sleeps with gun under bed

July 2, 2009

Taking on international forward packs holds no fear for David Pocock after what he's already been through, writes Greg Growden.

David Pocock, a man destined to one day lead the Wallabies, has had to grow up very quickly.

After all, not too many international rugby players can admit that in their teenage years they slept with a gun under their bed. The 21-year-old Wallabies breakaway has seen a lot, undergone a succession of dramatic life changes, and wants to improve the system. It is not surprising considering his experiences, including witnessing the disintegration of his home country, as well as the level of maturity he has shown in all aspects of his complex life that he is looked upon as a true leader.

Seven years ago, the Pocock family, who were farming cash crops and exporting flowers to the Netherlands from central Zimbabwe, were forced to flee their politically-scarred homeland. A nearby farmer had been murdered, while his son was shot nine times, but somehow survived. Then their immediate neighbour was strangled to death.

The Pococks also received death threats, prompting David to place a weapon under his bed … just in case the family had to be protected.

The Pococks headed for South Africa, and after checking several countries, emigrated to Australia in September 2002. When asked yesterday about the gun under the bed, Pocock paused before replying: "It got pretty hairy towards the end. There was a lot of stuff going on.

"But people went through a lot worse than what we did. A guy and his son about 15 kilometres away from us were ambushed, and then a neighbour had his house broken into, and was strangled. It was the farm workers and labourers who suffered the most, because they were the ones who were targeted. They lost their jobs, were abused and marginalised pretty unfairly."

The next culture shock occurred when Brisbane became the Pocock family base. "Going from Zimbabwe to a private school in Brisbane was overwhelming," Pocock said. "You were just struck by the amount of money which was thrown around in those schools. That was an eye-opener for me."

But the family, who had to leave virtually all their belongings back on the farm, soon fitted in.

"We came over here with not much, and one of the great aspects about Australia is that there is opportunity, and people are so embracing. They're keen to give someone a go."

Then the next big transition occurred straight after finishing school, when Pocock at 17 was lured by the Western Force. Suddenly he was on the other side of the country, but couldn't play Super 14 because officials deemed him too young.

"Moving out of home, and away from mum and dad, as well as living with guys who were a lot older than you, was another massive change. I wasn't the best cook, and am still not the best cook, but the great thing when I came over here, was that I was kept busy. Now I consider Perth very much home."

But his affections towards "Zim" remain strong. He is deeply involved in the Eightytwenty Vision organisation, which helps Zimbabwe communities become self-sustaining. After the Wallabies' end-of-season tour last December, he returned to his land of birth.

"The purpose of the trip was to set up the charity, while I also managed to see my grandfather and uncle, who still live there. Returning to Zimbabwe was a bit emotional. You hear stories that it is a very violent place, with civil unrest, but you go back there and you discover … well the best way to probably describe it is as if a cancer is eating away at the country. There's a lack of hope. Everyone is saying there's light at the end of the tunnel. But I'm not sure if anyone really believes that.

"It's definitely going to come right. But how much longer can people hang in there, and survive? This community development I'm involved in is really good for me. It involves liaising with guys on the ground in Zimbabwe, who are implementing the projects, as well as talking to people over here, who are donating funds. There's a fair bit of red tape involved. You eventually wonder what difference you actually can make.

"Well if we can help one community, one person … that's something. We have it pretty good in Australia. We may whinge and complain. But at the end of the day, the majority of us do get by pretty well."

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...e#contentSwap1

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    I thought it might be because tequiri had been sacked but apparently not

Just happy to be here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by article

Then the next big transition occurred straight after finishing school, when Pocock at 17 was lured by the Western Force. Suddenly he was on the other side of the country, but couldn't play Super 14 because officials deemed him too young.
    Makes it sound like Peter O'Meara was wandering the schools of Brisbane with a bag of lollies or something.

Good luck to ya Bam

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Whatever it takes
    A pretty amazing story, told better by Inside Sport.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    He makes me very proud to have him on board.

vCash
    Makes me even prouder knowing that a fellow blood zimbo has gained the recognition he has in such a short period of time.

As a Zimbo he is already regarded in the same league as other great Zimbabwean rugby players : Gary Teichman, Beast Mtawarira, Ray Mordt, Kennedy Tsimba, Tonderai Chavhanga and Bobby Skinstadt.

further to his efforts in fundrasing for zimbabwean communities, there is a Zimbabwean themed Festival being held at Soaks on October 5 (all profits are going to SOAP (Support for Old Age People) tickets can be purchased here: http://www.perthzimfest.com/

sorry for the plug but this article brings to the fore the plight of so many back where i call HOME... I will happily edit if this offends anyone.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    No offence Zim, a worthy sounding cause.
    Feel free to have a dedicated thread closer to the date.
    I didn't realise that Skinstad was a Zim, with that exception I would suggest he is, or soon will be, the best of that bunch and by careers end will probably surpass Skinstad too.
    Fire away with an All Time Zimbabwe XV Zim

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Bobby was born in Bulawayo but moved to SA when he was still in Junior School.

As for a ultimate Zim XV.... already have mate:
    http://twf.com.au/showpost.php?p=87828&postcount=3

but here it is here slightly modified/updated

1. T."Beast" Mtawarira (SA, Sharks)
    2 P. Hoffman (Sharks, Falcons, Mpumalanga, SA schools)
    3 A.Garvey (Zimbabwe, Sharks & Springboks)
    4 B.Chivandire (Zimbabwe)
    5 M. Passaportis (Western Province U19, U21 & Leicester Tigers academy)
    6 D. Pocock ( Aus, Western Force )
    7 B. Skinstad (WP, SA 7s, Sharks & Boks)
    8 G.Teichmann (Sharks & Boks)
    9 Jaques Leitao (Zim 7's captain)
    10 K.Tsimba (Zimbabwe, Cheetahs, Bulls, Border)
    11. R. Mordt (Rhodesia, Zimbabwe, Transvaal & Boks)
    12 S. Gray (Northampton Saints, Zimbabwe)
    13 D Maidza (Zimbabwe, Zim 7s & Border)
    14 T.Chavhanga (Cheetahs, WP & Boks)
    15 V.Olonga (Zimbabwe, Zim 7s) - (brother of Henry Olonga the cricketer)

16(centre): J.Ewing (Zimbabwe and zim Sevens player/coach)
    17(wing): Z. Ngwenya - (Zim U19, USA 7's and USA XV)
    18(Prop): B. Mujati (SA, Lions, Stormers )
    19(lock)L Greef (Worsteshire Warriors, Zimbabwe)
    20(flanker) Fortune Chipendu (Zim 7's)
    21(wing/fullback) Karl Mudzamba (Zimbabwe, Zim 7's, Hawkes Bay)

vCash
    Pocock is one of those players who does Rugby proud.
    He continues to be a fantastic ambassador for the Western Force and the Wallabies, and shows not all young players are out of control and getting into trouble.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gotheforce View Post
    Pocock is one of those players who does Rugby proud.
    Pocock is one of those people who does people proud.

vCash
    Good on ya, Bam-bam

The fact that people can come out of such desperate situations like that and still show optimism and sense of community is a wonderful thing.

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    Anyone else wondering if he wishes he had a rolex under his pillow this morning -

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone View Post
    Anyone else wondering if he wishes he had a rolex under his pillow this morning -
    If you are talking about Pocock wishing he had a watch it would only be so he could pawn it and donate the proceeds to charity!!

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    yes it was an unworthy comment but he was sooo close - can't imagine he would begrudge Hodgson a watch

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby