Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sign Thurston now: Ella

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Sign Thurston now: Ella

If there is a current Inside Back League player who could make an instant success of Union then I believe Thurston is that man.
    He's talented enough to play any position in the Backs but would be dynamite for say the Reds at Flyhalf.

Sign Thurston now: Ella

Will Swanton
    Sunday, August 12, 2007

Wallabies legend Mark Ella believes the Australian Rugby Union should entice Kangaroos halfback Johnathan Thurston to fill the void left by George Gregan and Stephen Larkham after the World Cup.

A new era of Wallabies players will be unveiled in 2008 and with league representative Timana Tahu already on his way to rugby, Ella is convinced 24-year-old Thurston - consistently voted by his peers as the best league player in the world - would be the perfect fit for either of the positions about to be vacated by Gregan and Larkham.

"Rugby has always gone for outside backs from league, which is terrific, but we need guys who can come in and run the game," Ella told The Sun-Herald. "I'm a fan of Johnathan Thurston's. A Darren Lockyer is probably past it now, but Thurston can control the ball. He's an organiser and we'll need someone to organise when Larkham goes.

"You could play him at halfback or five-eighth. He's got the kicking game and flair and he's intuitive. He's got everything. He's creative and he's a good leader.

"He's just one of those footy players with the right instincts in attack. He's always prying for openings and taking on the line. I like the way he plays because of that aggression in attack."

Ella nominated the electrifying Melbourne Storm pair of Israel Folau and Greg Inglis as two other league players who would be immediate standouts in rugby.

"These boys know how to put the ball over the line - that's what you need," Ella said. "I guess we pick outside backs to come across because they're away from all the rucks and mauls; areas of the game that probably take more time to get to know.

"It would be harder for an inside back to slot into rugby because the rules get a bit more complicated, the angles you have to run and the alignments change."

Ella lives on the Central Coast and follows the Newcastle Knights in the NRL. His just-released biography, Ella, reveals how close he came to joining St George in 1985 when the Dragons more than tripled an original offer of $100,000 for an 18-month stint. He would have become league's highest-paid player.

"I was only joking at the start about crossing over but it became really serious," Ella said. "I'd never really wanted to go across to league and I was only being smart when I got the offer and said, 'You've gotta do better than that'. I thought they'd think, 'What an arrogant bastard, we're not going to go after him'. But the offers just kept on coming and the money ended up being so good, I thought a lot about it."

Aside from former Test captain Andrew Johns, Ella put two other league players - dual international Michael O'Connor and Queensland hero Wally Lewis - on his list of the greatest players from either code.

"Glen and Gary [Ella] were fabulous, David Campese was unbelievable, Michael O'Connor was a freak, Michael Hawker at inside centre was an unbelievable player, Wally Lewis when I played with him at schoolboys, was another freak. There have been so many natural ball-runners, players with enormous ability."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    Here we go again!!!

The other option would be to not spend all kinds of money to get him over and to develop players that are already committed to Rugby. Berrick Barnes and Kurtley Beale are just two of the well known options Rugby has. And what about Matt Giteau could we not slide him over to number 10 and let him run the game from there??

Also, 24 may seem young, but the next World Cup he'd be 28 and then the one after that 32, he may already be on the Superanuation Tour or back in league at that age. So it'd be a big cost for one maybe two World Cup's. And it's no guarantee he'd be successful making the switch.

vCash
    I agree, develop what we have now for the future!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Generally I agree with you both but an interesting choice as an example in Berrick Barnes gustafsl...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I've had an eye on Berrick Barnes for about 4 years now. I used to watch him play for Towoomba Clydesdales in the Queensland Cup. He's the real deal. The ARU should persist with him.

vCash
    berrick barnes is the next 10 for australia, i agree putting all of that money to develop these players is a better option.

but i dont think they will ever be as good as thurston so signing him isnt a bad idea he would be a great player.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    My point is Berrick Barnes IS from League...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I think that article may have been taken from a radio interview on ABC radio last night. Tracey Holmes did it and , though Ididn't hear a lot of it - fairly lengthy - it was the first in depth interview I've heard with Ella. She did a great job and I'll definately be buying the book 2morrow.

That schoolboys team was something else too, The Ellas, Mick O'connor, Michael Hawker, Wally Lewis - Ella kept him on the bench. I think there ended up being about 8 or 10 Wallabies from that team.

And how could I forget CAMPESE!!

Last edited by shasta; 13-08-07 at 16:26.

vCash
    wow after seeing his performance just then i have changed my mind. GET HIM. he played very well throughout the game and he set up the golden point try under so much presure.

vCash
    im not even going to get started on this topic

vCash
    Totally agree with you Burgs if there was a League player who could make it in Union it would have to be Thurston. I also agree that Barnes is the future #10 for the Wallabies and still there are the likes of Quade Cooper to look forward to as well. Thurston would be great; but not for the future.

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    With all respect to league fans and players - ME NO WANT!

There is no doubt that quality league players CAN play rugby - many have crossed over, and we really shouldn't let the excesses of a few sully that name of them all....

BUT - there are RUGBY players being overlooked in favour of the 'quick' fix - it's a disgrace. Rugby shouldn't be seeking players from other codes, it should be developing the players already in the system, or if that system is not good enough to give rugby the players it requires, bloody well fix it.

If anyone finds a "shakes head in astonishment and disappointement" smiley - please send me a link...

Rookie
    vCash
    I agree with coach. Why spend time and money on developing youngsters in the art of Rugby and when they are ready to step into that senior position a league player is pulled across. What kind of message are we sending Rugby youngsters

Jambooi

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think the debate isn't so much whether we should be developing or buying etc, virtually 100% of Union loyalists would say we should be developing.
    However, IF there are to be bought League players, then Thurston would be at the top of the list.
    Keep in mind that we are all praising Barnes at the moment as the next great saviour and he is a totally League developed player!
    Can't have it both ways...can you???

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Agreed Burgs. And I'm totally a League fan. I started with League and moved to Union so i have no qualms about recruiting from other codes. But I just don't think we need to right now. I think that the amount of money that is spent enticing leaguies over to union is disproportionate to the role they tend to play. Sure its worked well for us - look at berrick, crossie, clinton, rogers etc. But then on the other side of the coin you have money wasters like dell and tuqiri. I think we have a bunch of youngsters in union atm (regardless of where they started) who can fill the voids we'll have post-world cup. Consequently, to me, there's no reason to look outside the code right now. We are better off spending the money internally.

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast