(Welcome to our world boys)

3/10/2007 11:34:15 AM
Adam Lucius
Sportal

The Western Rams' injury curse has claimed its sixth long-term victim, with a broken leg ruling experienced lock Van Humphries out of the Mazda Australian Rugby Championship finals.

Humphries, one of his side's best this year, fractured his right tibia during the one-point loss to Perth Spirit last weekend.

The Rams, who meet the Melbourne Rebels in Sunday's second semi-final at Parramatta Stadium, have had a horror run with injuries. "Sometimes you've just got to keep smiling," coach Brian Melrose said. "Injuries have been a common theme with us – barely a week has gone by without losing someone."

"It really is a shame as Van’s been nothing short of fantastic all season, he's consistently one of the first picked." "We've had an incredible run of injuries but the boys have kept stepping up and this week will be no different."

Marty Wilson and Sam Wykes are in the frame to replace Humphries, with a decision expected closer to game day. "This is an excellent opportunity for Marty and Sam in what is a vitally important game," Melrose declared.
"We don't know who will start and who will come off the bench but in all reality they'll probably get close to equal game time." "One thing is certain they'll both have significant involvements."

Three-Test Wallaby Tatafu Polota-Nau has lost his fight to play after straining a hamstring against Spirit. But he is confident of playing again this year - providing his team gets past the Rebels. "As strange as it may sound I'm trying to stay positive about it all," Polota-Nau said. "Of course it's disappointing to miss the semis but best case scenario I might be right for the final should we make it." "So I'm just doing everything I can to recover quickly while looking forward to next week."