Thread: Hewat to quit Waratahs

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Hewat to quit Waratahs

Don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out...
    Time to concentrate on making Turner into an International Fullback for mine.

Hewat to quit Waratahs

Friday, July 27, 2007
    Rugby Heaven

NSW fullback Peter Hewat will confirm today he is leaving the Waratahs to play in Europe next year.

Hewat and Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie have scheduled a media conference for 11am this morning.

"NSW Rugby will confirm that the Waratahs and Peter Hewat have reached a commercial agreement which allows Hewat to play in Europe next year," a NSW statement said.

"Hewat will play in tomorrow's Plate Final against Gordon at the SFS (Aussie Stadium) and (for) the Central Coast Rays in the Australian Rugby Championship before leaving Australia."

AAP

Snubbed Hewat walks away

July 27, 2007
    Fox Sports

NEW Sotuh Wales fullback Peter Hewat confirmed this morning he is leaving the Waratahs to play in Europe next year.

Hewat will link with the London Irish club after coming to an agreement with the Waratahs for an early release.

He is second on the Waratahs' all-time point-scoring list, but has consistently been overlooked by Australia selectors.

"In my mind I've gone as high as I can in Australia," he said.

Hewat will leave for his new club after playing for the Central Coast Rays in the Australian rugby championship.

AAP

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Hewat's $1.3m to get over Cup

Rupert Guinness
    Saturday, July 28, 2007

It is understood that Waratahs back Peter Hewat will earn an estimated $450,000 a year playing for the London Irish club in England from next season - almost four times more than what he has been paid at NSW.

Hewat, 29, has signed a three-year deal with the club after reaching an agreement with NSW Rugby and the Australian Rugby Union allowing him to move to England despite having a year to go on his NSW contract.

The agreement brings to an end months of uncertainty for Hewat, who, despite having the second-highest points tally (636) of any NSW player after Matt Burke, has never been called up to play for the Wallabies.

After the Super 14 season in which NSW placed 13th, Hewat - dejected by another omission from the Wallabies train-on squad - sought a release to play overseas after receiving offers from Japan, France and England.

His disappointment was made all the worse by hearing Wallabies selector Michael O'Connor's stinging remarks about his game during a telephone conversation to Hewat's NSW teammate, Lote Tuqiri, which Tuqiri had on loud speaker.

While the details of Hewat's new contract with London Irish were declared confidential yesterday, the Herald has learnt that the massive $450,000-a-year salary he will enjoy is very close to the mark.

However, before leaving for the Old Dart, Hewat - who has played 50 games for NSW, including 40 in the Super 12 or 14 competition, and six times for Australia A - will fulfil his playing commitments in Australia.

They resume today with the Sydney club plate final at the Sydney Football Stadium, in which he will play for Manly against Gordon. He will then play in the Australian Rugby Championship for the Central Coast Rays.

Despite his excitement at finally settling his future, Hewat yesterday admitted that not having had the chance to play for the Wallabies - or even be trialled in one of their training camps - had left a hollow feeling.

"It is probably something you would always love to have," said Hewat of the Wallabies selection that never came his way. "There will be that … sadness in your stomach knowing you didn't play for Australia."

Hewat said the closest he came to selection was in 2005 when, just before the Wallabies played the Springboks in Perth, coach Eddie Jones told him to undergo a medical check and be ready because the Australian camp had been struck by a late injury. But Jones's next call informed him the coach had "gone for someone else" - Adam Ashley-Cooper.

"I was in Sydney. They were in Perth. I got the medical approved and thought I was on my way. But it didn't happen. Eddie rang and said they had decided to go with someone else. It was disappointing," Hewat said.

Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie, who gave Hewat his Super rugby break when he signed him at the age of 27 in 2005, yesterday reiterated his dismay over the failure of the Wallabies to trial Hewat - even at training.

"The one thing I will say about Peter is that the higher he has gone, the better he has gone. It is a rare commodity in players," McKenzie said. "It is disappointing not to see him get an opportunity in a [Wallabies] camp or training environment, just to see if he can mix it. There were opportunities there where it could have happened."

But Hewat yesterday was adamant that despite that issue "the good times I have had have far outweighed the disappointments".

"I have played a Super final and semi-final and been with the Waratahs through a successful period," he said. "I owe Ewen a lot for giving me an opportunity when no one else did. I have played 50 games and probably wouldn't be here talking about overseas options if it wasn't for Ewen and NSW giving me that opportunity."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.