Thread: Waratahs hit by pre-season injuries

vCash

Waratahs hit by pre-season injuries

I know that Burgs posted a similar story earlier today - however I know that Chook will appreciate our concern that so many Tahs are injured. There's a bit at the end about the Reds injury problems as well

Waratahs hit by pre-season injuries

Peter Kogoy | January 04, 2008

COACH Ewen McKenzie returned to work yesterday to find something approaching a medivac field hospital on the Waratahs' training ground at Sydney's Victoria Barracks.
    Tahu

Timana Tahu at the Waratahs at first training session of the new season. Picture: Bob Finlayson

He had four established stars restricted to light duties and second-rower Al Kanaar out for the start of the Super 14.

Kanaar, 24, who missed all of last season following a right knee reconstruction, had surgery on the left knee yesterday and is expected to spend up two months on the sidelines.

"After what I've been through in the last months, this is a minor setback, nothing more," Kanaar said. "I've been training really well and the right knee's feeling great, so it's disappointing the other one's playing up now.

"Hopefully, I'll be right by late February or early March, which puts me in the frame for the game against the Brumbies."

In addition to Kanaar, Wallabies Matt Dunning and David Lyons, along with prop Benn Robinson and second-rower Dave Dennis are all recovering from off-season surgery.

Timana Tahu, the Waratahs' recruit from NRL club Parramatta, is on the mend from a back-related hamstring problem.

McKenzie described the injury to Kanaar as a psychological setback after the work he had done to recover from last year's surgery.

"It is very disappointing for Al, he's a great player who hasn't played for the last 18 months," captain Phil Waugh said.

"Hopefully, he'll have a speedy recovery and we catch him not too far into the season."

McKenzie hinted at experimenting with his outside backs, opting to give the untried Tom Carr first crack at inside centre with Tahu at outside.

As far as the new rules, which will be used for the first time in the Super 14, McKenzie is tipping a more attack-minded, free-flowing game.

"It won't be just about throwing the ball to the wing all the time," McKenzie said. "As much as that is an attractive part, you have to manage the players' fatigue levels."

Meanwhile, Queensland Reds reserve halfback Will Genia is out of pre-season trials after breaking a hand in an accident while on holidays in Papua New Guinea.

PNG-born Genia was helping to move a refrigerator at his family's home in Port Moresby when the fridge slipped and fell on his hand.

He was able to move the hand but an X-ray taken yesterday at the Reds' pre-season camp at Casuarina Beach confirmed a fracture that could keep Genia out of action for up to five weeks.

"It was sore but I thought it was OK because I was still able to clench my fist. I wasn't even going to mention it to the doc," Genia said.

The injury could rule Genia out of the team's first trial against the Waratahs in Sydney on Australia Day, as well as a match against the Blues a week later.

Genia, who turns 20 this month, is the talented understudy to Wallaby Sam Cordingley at halfback, where new coach Phil Mooney concedes the Reds don't have the depth they enjoy in other positions.

Reds Academy player Ben Lucas will step into Genia's role in the short-term.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I can't imagine a backup to Sam Cordingley would be hard to replace. If Genia was anywhere near S14 standard, he'd be the starter already.

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think Genia is just considered a little young, he started quite a few last year with the "genius" Cordingley sidelined. Cordingley is a waste of a contract IMHO.
    For mine Genia has the potential to be Wallaby #9 in 2011 or at least from 2011.
    I was very impressed in him in an ordinary performing team with inexperienced Flyhalves.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    You're probably right about Genia's youth, to be fair, I haven't seen a lot of him, I was just saying that Cordingly is crap and if Genia can't displace him, he's not ready yet.

I'd heard the hype, but equated much of it to the Quade Cooper/Kurtley Beale rubbish that was flying around last year. None of those boys are quite 'cooked' yet in my opinion, but they will likely serve Australia well in the future.

C'mon the

vCash
    KwooWade Kwoopa needs to get back to the womb. He ain't even started yet.

Evidence here

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Cooper got fast tracked due to injury however, so long as his confidence isn't shot, he will be twice the player for it this year. With the "Awesome Rugby Brain" in Brisbane this season I think Cooper will be on the Bench though and Barnes moving back to Flyhalf.

Back to Genia though, I believe he has the best pass of all the Australian #9's, a pretty handy starting point for a Halfback....
    It is flat as a tack and very long too, very impressive.
    He's a strong little bugger too, with plenty of heat on him last season at the breakdown.
    For playing his position as intended, rather than relying on "flair and inspiration", I would put him in front of both Cooper and Beale and possibly Barnes too.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chook View Post
    KwooWade Kwoopa needs to get back to the womb. He ain't even started yet.

Evidence here
    Mate, that's 4 mistakes from one game repeated about twenty times (piss funny but) I have definite memories of Kurtley Beale having similarly embarrassing days last year, stop trying to cover him up by pointing in the other direction.

Has Kurtley got over his love affair with pointless chip kicks yet?

C'mon the

vCash
    Chook, its staring already - Ewen is going to be a grumpy bastard already? The season hasn't started yet!!!!

vCash
    The chip kick will win the Tahs the S14 this year, courtesy of K Beale. The Force boys should have been practicing it some more but obviously they have taken their eyes off the ball in this respect. Kurtley is streets ahead in skill now compared to all other opponents. I guess thats just a failure they will have to live with.

That wasn't 4 mistakes repeated 20 times. That was all individual errors made by KwooWade, 20 in total. Trust me, i'm a Tahs fan.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    One thing we agree on Chook, Kurtley Beale will chip kick the Tahs to their final position on the ladder this season. The difference is about 11 places by my reckoning.

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Lot's of chip kicks and lots of "Benji Marshall's" from Kurtley, that would be fantastic.
    Is he with HBF???

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    One thing we agree on Chook, Kurtley Beale will chip kick the Tahs to their final position on the ladder this season. The difference is about 11 places by my reckoning.
    Yes, you are right, we will be above the Force by 11 places!

Gigsa made me do it

vCash
    You can't get 11 places higher than first Chook.

Of course in that fantasy World called Tah town, where Lote is an eloquent speaker, Trestle is a world class prop and shit tastes like chocolate, I guess it could be!

I'm calling you Kojak from now on!

C'mon the

vCash
    Thats cool with me, Gandhi.

Gigsa made me do it