Thread: Yougster's first crack at Larkham's spot

vCash

Yougster's first crack at Larkham's spot

January 31, 2008

TALENTED youngster Christian Lealiifano will get first crack at the ACT's No.10 jersey vacated by Stephen Larkham when he starts the trial against New South Wales in Gosford.

Test utility Julian Huxley has been ear-marked to start at five-eighth in the Brumbies' Super campaign, but won't play in their opening trial.

Coach Laurie Fisher has named just three of his Wallabies, props Nic Henderson and Guy Shepherdson and lock Al Campbell, who will captain the side.

New Zealand born Lealiifano, 20, has represented Australia at schoolboy, under-19, under-21 and Sevens levels and is being groomed for Super competition this year.

"I certainly think Christian will be pushing for bench time and hopefully a start at some stage of the year," Fisher said.

The Brumbies' other highly-rated young pivot, 18-year-old Matt Toomua, will come off the bench in the trial.

Fisher will not play the majority of his Test stars against a NSW side whose starting line-up includes six Test forwards.

"We've got people to trial in every position and it's just trying to asses where our program is in terms of core skills and fitness, that's all we're trying to get out of it," Fisher said.

Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie wasn't fussed that the Brumbies would be fielding a relatively youthful team.

"You have to look at it from their side, they are playing against some name players, so they will be pumped up for it, it's a big opportunity for them," McKenzie said.

"I expect that they will give everything they've got, they will be trying to force their way into the team."

The match will mark the first time prize recruit Timana Tahu will start for the Waratahs alongside two of their boom youngsters, five-eighth Kurtley Beale and fullback Lachie Turner.

"They looked pretty good at training, there's a little bit of chemistry there," McKenzie said about the three backline aces.

"We'll see how it goes under pressure from the Brumbies.

"Their defence last year was very good, we expect that won't be any less this year."

McKenzie will be happy to see the back of January following the retirement announcement of his Wallabies' lock Alex Kanaar, due to a chronic knee injury.

Kanaar missed all of last year after a knee reconstruction in a trial against the Brumbies in January, when prop Matt Dunning and flanker Dave Dennis also suffered serious injuries.

"I'm starting to get worried about January, it's not a kind month for me, it wasn't last year and it hasn't been so good so far," McKenzie said.

McKenzie said NSW would again rely on Will Caldwell and Dean Mumm, who performed well last year when Kanaar and Wallaby's lock Daniel Vickerman were both injured.

AAP
    FOX SPORTS | Sports news Australia | Australian sports

Give him a go, its only the tahs

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Give ME a go...It's only the Tahs!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the