Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: 2025 Squad - Speculation Thread

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kernow View Post
    I got the impression that nothing has been decided yet, as Cronno said, his missus has a big say in that and they have more important things on their mind with bub #2 arriving this week. I’d be the first to admit I wasn’t thrilled by the announcement, but from the outside glimpsing in he appears to have made an incredibly positive contribution. JT and Richard Kahn made a huge contribution with their rugby IQ and it looks like KB is doing the same. With such a young squad I think KB would be able to accelerate several players development.
    Hopefully Potter is attending training (in between physio/recovery sessions) and watching how Beale plays.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kernow View Post
    I got the impression that nothing has been decided yet, as Cronno said, his missus has a big say in that and they have more important things on their mind with bub #2 arriving this week. I’d be the first to admit I wasn’t thrilled by the announcement, but from the outside glimpsing in he appears to have made an incredibly positive contribution. JT and Richard Kahn made a huge contribution with their rugby IQ and it looks like KB is doing the same. With such a young squad I think KB would be able to accelerate several players development.
    Yes, but this contribution needs to be balanced with what other options we have available. Remember he was signed as injury cover for Harry Potter who filled 15 when Max Burey didn't do enough to lock the jersey down.

I think that move weakened our wing, however in Bayley Kuenzle we were lucky to find a replacement who was more than capable. Bayley is also a great optiojn to cover for a vacating Sam Spink in 13 next year, so there's clearly at least one spot to fill in the outside backs, but I'd suspect 2 because it doesn't look like Max Burey will be getting an extension.

So whether Kurtley is in the fram would depend on who's on the market as an instant option for either 13, 14 or 15

Then there's the question of having competition for the spot. I'd be comfortable with them signing somebody to challenge Bayley for the 13/14 role because he's clearly ready for that at this level so he either wins the battle and we haven't lost any ground or he loses that battle and we improve. Same for all other positions.

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I got the distinct feeling it's a "nothing decided yet" which could mean several things.

1 I want to stay, but the Force haven't made any moves yet.
    2 The Force want me to stay but I'm still open to offers
    3 We both want me here but the negotiations between agent and recruiter aren't done yet
    4 Neither of us want it but we're keeping our options open
    5 I'm already signed for a job in Japan but I can't announce it yet

TBH the whole piece was Mr Randwick Turinui shilling his clubmate to the world by talking about a contract when, in reality, hes a 37 year old back on an injury cover contract for a younger guy who is AT LEAST his equal. I'm not convinced we want Kurtley for the same reasons as Kurtley would want to be here, he'll sit the bench or in the stands until somebody's hurt and that doesn't strike me as a Beale kind of gig.
    I took it at the time as #3, given Cron's immediate response following Beale's comments.
    The interview here would kind of indicate similar. https://westernforce.rugby/news/kurt...ratahs-2024520
    I would see a contract offered that kept him available through to the RWC, with a transition into Coaching and involvement in mentoring and Indigenous engagement programs.
    He is a unique, engaging and marketable individual for the Force on several levels and should be retained if at all possible/affordable.
    And that is saying something compared to if you had asked me over the preceding decade!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Hoiles resigning as Randwick coach with "nothing lined up for the future" but "coaching the Tahs would be a dream job" being the final straw to get NSW rugby to sack DC.

We might be closer to 2 burgs, you can't tell me that Beale doesn't know what Hoiles thinks is a secret but every rugby follower in the country saw happening six weeks ago.

Hoiles has either looped him in and said he's wanted or he's operating under that hope.

He surely knows that a starting spot at the Tahs is a virtual walk up Wallabies jersey.

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I felt it significant re Hoiles on Between Two Posts (if he doesn't have something to go to) that it wasn't raised there at least tongue in cheek about getting more time for golf or something. But not a word. On the day of the Hoiles announcement.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Player
    vCash
    Hoiles resigning as Randwick coach with "nothing lined up for the future" but "coaching the Tahs would be a dream job" being the final straw to get NSW rugby to sack DC.

We might be closer to 2 burgs, you can't tell me that Beale doesn't know what Hoiles thinks is a secret but every rugby follower in the country saw happening six weeks ago.

Hoiles has either looped him in and said he's wanted or he's operating under that hope.

He surely knows that a starting spot at the Tahs is a virtual walk up Wallabies jersey.
    Yep you could put money on this happening, we need to make sure they don’t poach any of our other ex tahs back

It is frustrating me somewhat all the talk of Kurtley for Wallabies but they very rarely mention anyone else who has been performing better than him for longer - Horton, Williams, kuenzle, Stewart

Also I am sure if Donaldson was putting in these same performances for the tahs he would be a walk up starter for the wallabies

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Owen View Post
    Yep you could put money on this happening, we need to make sure they don’t poach any of our other ex tahs back

It is frustrating me somewhat all the talk of Kurtley for Wallabies but they very rarely mention anyone else who has been performing better than him for longer - Horton, Williams, kuenzle, Stewart

Also I am sure if Donaldson was putting in these same performances for the tahs he would be a walk up starter for the wallabies
    I think it's a tough discussion to have meaningfully at this point. All we have to go on is media hype and nepotistic speculation. That's a case of everybody doing business as usual stuff because they don't know the selection criteria.

St Joe comes across as logical, pragmatic and unpretentious, seems to be a pretty good judge of rugby talent and is an expert at playing his cards close to his chest so we can be confident that he doesn't listen to the media hype nor the bullshit that comes from administrators at NSWRugby.

That being said, he's working within a system where that has been the acknowledged way to get ahead since the last World Cup victory and the cynics amongst us are wise enough to know that such strongly embedded systems aren't dismantled easily or quickly.

Does he have the power within his position to run things the way he sees fit or is he going to need to make concessions and prove himself before they let the reins go?

Is that the reason he's only signed for 2 years, because he's not sure he can organise the cluster that is elite pathways in this country?

It could be anything from business as usual to 100% selection by merit.

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I don't recall hearing either way at appointment, but one would assume Jumbuck Joe will be constrained by a Selection Committee.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Can't be arsed starting a thread. And I don't know how to link stuff but Clint Wheeldon hosted an ok interview with Jeremy Williams on Extra Time tonight which pretty much showed he's a "follow me" skipper more than an orator. If he's not Burgs' favourite player, he'll likely be up there with Benny Mc & Browny after opening up on his chosen post Rugby career choice.
    Available as podcast on ABC Listen

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    I don't recall hearing either way at appointment, but one would assume Jumbuck Joe will be constrained by a Selection Committee.
    I would expect that, yes, but there are many ways of utilising such a structure, from the Michael Cheika "taking control out of the coach's hands" model to the Shag Hansen "people who challenge my thinking and ensure that I've considered all possibilities"I think the choice depends largely on the personality of the coach and their favoured leadership model, but sometimes an authoritarian structure can be imposed by the powers that be.I'd hope the current Wallabies model is more Hansen than Cheika

C'mon the

vCash
    I got the distinct feeling it's a "nothing decided yet" which could mean several things.

1 I want to stay, but the Force haven't made any moves yet.
    2 The Force want me to stay but I'm still open to offers
    3 We both want me here but the negotiations between agent and recruiter aren't done yet
    4 Neither of us want it but we're keeping our options open
    5 I'm already signed for a job in Japan but I can't announce it yet

TBH the whole piece was Mr Randwick Turinui shilling his clubmate to the world by talking about a contract when, in reality, hes a 37 year old back on an injury cover contract for a younger guy who is AT LEAST his equal. I'm not convinced we want Kurtley for the same reasons as Kurtley would want to be here, he'll sit the bench or in the stands until somebody's hurt and that doesn't strike me as a Beale kind of gig.
    But with Beale enjoying life living near Cottesloe beach, he indicated he would love to keep playing with the Force next season.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2024/05/2...labies-return/

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Owen View Post

Hoiles could be angling for an assistant coach gig but I’d have thought too much is at stake with Lions next year etc. for it to go to a “rookie” SR coach. Tahs being pummelled in-front of a Lions TV audience would be enormously embarrassing and do nothing for the credibility of the centralised model.

That said there appear to be some powerbrokers in NSW living in cuckoo land so who knows. Something has to change there though as DC wasn’t setup for success.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Gareth Chilcott after his last game for Bath in 1993
    “I thought I would have a quiet pint… and about 17 noisy ones.”

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Noting Academy signed Finn Pras starting at Fullback for Brothers this season.
    Watching last weekends replay now, but so far is making a pretty good show of it.
    Took the KO, shot in to Scrumhalf at a Ruck...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Also interesting Henry Speight Captaining Wests this year.
    Last heard he was at Biarritz.
    At 36 I'd say he's come home to see out his playing career at Club.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10