Thread: Carter ponders future outside NZ

vCash

Carter ponders future outside NZ

Dan Carter remains uncertain about his future in New Zealand rugby.

Last year the All Blacks first five-eighths hinted that he would consider playing overseas when his New Zealand Rugby Union contract expires at the end of this season, and he may still carry out that threat.

"In a fairytale I would love to still be here in 2011 playing for the All Blacks. That would be a dream," Carter said in South Africa this week.

"I come off contract at the end of the year and I suppose it is a matter of weighing up what I want to do. At this point I am just focusing on this campaign, and giving respect to the Crusaders jersey."

Carter, who turns 26 next month, would be able to name his price to the wealthy northern hemisphere clubs that are sure to chase his signature.

During last year's World Cup All Blacks skipper Richie McCaw re-signed to stay in New Zealand for another two years and the NZRU will be eager to go one better and get Carter to commit until the next World Cup.

The problem for the NZRU will be whether it can afford to keep him and whether he is motivated by the thought of playing in the repetitive Super 14 and Tri Nations competitions.

The International Rugby Board 2005 Player of the Year has been a member of the Crusaders and All Blacks squads since 2003. He has already played in two World Cups.

Getting away from the pressure of playing for the All Blacks will be factored into his decision.

"It is tough at times, you know - that expectation to win every game.

"It's tough because you are not going to win every one of them. It's just a matter of winning as many as you can and the right ones."

Carter had a disrupted season last year. The reconditioning programme sidelined him from half the Super 14 and then he suffered ankle and calf injuries with the All Blacks.

To top it off, he limped out of the World Cup during the All Blacks' fateful quarter-final loss to France, and even if they had won it is unlikely he would have been fit for the semi.

"I guess that is the thing about last year: we didn't win the ones that mattered, which was tough. But that's the beauty of sport - things like that can happen and that's why people watch games.

"Unfortunately it just happened at the wrong time."

Meanwhile, he expects the Loftus Versfeld crowd to motivate the Super 14 champion Bulls side when it plays its first game at home against the Crusaders in Pretoria on Saturday morning.

"I definitely notice a difference playing the Bulls when they are at home as opposed to playing them away," he said. "They do really lift a notch playing in front of their crowd at Loftus.

"They score a try, they get a roll on and it really lifts them. That's what makes it tough playing them there."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to ..........."

vCash
    Why can't he do what McAllistar is doing and leave now and come back for the world cup?

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Mardi-gra ambassador for new zealand ?

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Flower Girl for Benny and Kristin's wedding!

C'mon the

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehna View Post
    Why can't he do what McAllistar is doing and leave now and come back for the world cup?
    I think this is what will end up happening. And we are going to see a lot more of this happening. Players will go right after a World Cup for two years and then come back in time to play in the next cup. Might be a bit of a problem for Carter though as if he goes for two years then he would only have one year back in Super 14 and test rugby before the World Cup. If another player steps up and the choice is Carter or the new guy, NZRU might use the excuse that Carter hasn't fully adjusted back into the lineup. So he might miss out.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Or, more likely, the NZRU might decide he isn't sufficient value for the money he'd be expecting, relative to his replacement (who'd be told not to expect too much unless he wanted Carter back)...or is that too machiavellian?