Fri, May 17, 2024, 10:24 AM
Nathan Williamson

Australian motor racing superstar Will Brown was excited to catch up with his old mates at the Western Force as they reflected on their journeys to the top of their respective sports.

Brown is one of the hottest commodities in motorsports, leading the Supercars Championship as they head to Perth for the weekend, along with being slated to make his NASCAR Cup Series debut in America next month.

Catch every game of Super Rugby Pacific LIVE, ad-free and on demand on Stan Sport.

Before they hit the track, Brown took the chance to catch up with childhood friend Angus Wagner along with fellow Toowoomba mates Harry Hoopert and Hamish Stewart as the Force prepared to host the NSW Waratahs on Saturday.

"Me and Angus were probably at each other's house from Grade one until Grade seven when Angus moved off to Churchie (Anglican Church Grammar School) to go play footy and I stayed in Toowoomba but stayed great mates since then,” Brown told media.

“..I stayed up there in Toowoomba and started go-karting that’s where I met Harry (Hoopert) and Hamish (Stewart) and did a lot with them during my high school days. I didn't play footy, but every weekend I wasn't racing go karts, I was making sure I watched them and they’ve done amazing things in their career through school and now.

“None of us thought we’d be doing this as a career, it’s something we could’ve only dreamed of so for four of us to make it and be doing this is really cool."

“It’s pretty crazy, we’d grow up motorbike riding and our older brothers are best mates so we’d be over their place every second week," Wagner added.

“I don’t know too much about Supercars but it’s pretty crazy that he’s doing his car stuff, I’m doing my Rugby stuff so it’s pretty cool."

Wagner was eager to see Brown extend his lead at the top of the Supercars ladder on Sunday, however, the focus remained on the must-win game against the Waratahs.

“We’re coming off a big win over the Drua last week and that was probably one of our best performances of the year,” Wagner believes.

“Hopefully we can go bang this weekend and keep ourselves alive for the finals.

“They’ve had quite a few injuries in their front-row but they’re still a quality side with plenty of Wallabies so we’re still looking to put together our best performance.”

As for who got the best of their childhood scrimmages?

“I used to put shots on him,” Brown said with a smile

“He’d always be a back and I’ve always been a front-rower trying to be a centre so he probably copped a back end of it,” Wagner responded.

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/will-b...wagner-2024517