Thread: Cooper to NRL?

vCash

Cooper to NRL?

The contracting process for Australia's top rugby players is a shambles and it must be overhauled immediately.

The saga surrounding Quade Cooper is embarrassing. It's a poor look for the game at a time it can least afford it.

To view this content ensure that Adobe Flash Player version10.0.0 or greater is installed.

Cooper was announced as having signed a three-year extension with the Queensland Reds in June, yet now - two months later - we hear he might be off to the NRL next year because he hasn't signed the ARU component of the deal.

How on Earth has this been allowed to happen?

The NRL have received a massive free hit out of the publicity when Australian rugby is struggling to win the hearts and minds of sports fans.

And the contracting system is to blame.

Related Content
    Tempting: Quade confirms SBW's NRL whispers + 76

The way it works, Wallabies players must firstly negotiate a deal with a local franchise and sign off, before then entering into negotiations with the ARU for a top-up contract. But the catch is, the franchise contract is worthless until the ARU top-up has been signed.

That is a ridiculous scenario.

It simply does not make sense that a player of Cooper's profile can still be a free agent so long after his franchise signed him to a long-term deal.

Wallabies players are on another level to franchise players and must be treated as such.

The current system allows player agents to drag out the process and claim their clients are heading to badminton, basketball and ice hockey in Canada just to squeeze a few more dollars. It is a debacle.

Cooper should have been signed to the ARU the same day as he signed with Queensland; that is the commonsense approach.

The Reds stopped searching for a five-eighth in June when they signed Cooper. What happens if he leaves?

Queensland went through all the right processes, weighed up their options, and made Cooper an offer they believed would keep him at the club.

They were right at the time, but the situation is unclear now and that is grossly unfair to the Reds. If they lose Cooper, there is nobody available at this late stage with anywhere near his ability and drawing power.

Many fans who have purchased season passes for next season could also feel cheated, and rightly so.

The new ARU system helps them save significant amounts of money, because the greater the bidding between franchises, the less money they end up paying in top-ups. But surely there is a better way.

I want to see every player who receives an ARU top-up on a publicly named list. We don't need to see how much they're getting - I don't care - but a public list like Cricket Australia's top 25 will cease all the rumour*and innuendo surrounding who gets a top-up and who doesn't.

Those on the public list should then negotiate with all franchises until they make a decision. At that point, the franchise and the ARU should sit down with the player's representative and negotiate both deals in tandem.

If they cannot reach an agreement within seven days, the players should be given one more chance with another franchise under the same process. After that the player can look elsewhere. Would that be so difficult?

Franchises would have clarity at an early stage. If Cooper, or others, held out, at least they could move on and secure capable replacements.

We find ourselves in a situation where one of the most exciting players in the country may defect to a rival code, which would leave a leading Australian franchise exposed.

Our internationals are as much a franchise player as a Wallabies player, because both pay for his services.

If Cooper does leave, both will pay the price for a poor system that allowed such uncertainty to enter the negotiating process.

And if the system is not fixed we can expect to deal with this sort of farce every season, while rugby's rivals lap up the free publicity.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    I would prefer to see ARU top ups be either
    A completely independent of franchise and not linked to any SupeRugby payment whatsoever
    Or
    B completely at the control of the franchise to be distributed as they wish (maybe restricted to a list of x players identified by the ARU)

With either of those solutions the ARU can no longer be charged with interfering with super rugby teams unfairly.

How does the ARU defend allegations that they had a hand in genias non signing for the force, Ashley coopers movement to the tahs, Pocock to the Brumbies etc etc etc. under the current contracting system, they have their fingers all up in that pie and they can't clearly defend themselves, if, however they release all their top ups after the super rugby lists are complete and negotiate them separately then they are clear of that.

C'mon the

vCash
    I agree with the proses being a mess but I would not loose any sleep if Cooper goes to the mungo's

vCash
    Cooper can't tackle therefore the idea of him going to League is amusing. This is simply something to scare the ARU into giving him a sizable top up.

I agree the process is an absolute farce.

vCash
    League can have Berrick Barnes back after watching him kick every 6th tackle last night.

There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NTT View Post
    League can have Berrick Barnes back after watching him kick every 6th tackle last night.
    He did not get to six tackles before he kicked

vCash
    Christ I dream of six phases
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Elf1 View Post
    This was apparently Berrick Barnes' mindset leading into last nights game. What happened Berrick? Shit yourself much? 2 meat pies by the forwards with Benny Alexander showing the 'backs' how it's done!!

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...905-25eqw.html

The pack was Forced into distrusting the 'backs' wasting so much possession. I think were onto a winner with a team of 15 forwards.

There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

vCash
    NTT you may be right. If we keep the ball in hand we look great. My answer is go back to when I was 5 years old playing this beautiful game for the first time.
    My folks were about to buy me boots but our coach wouldn't allow kids under 8 to wear shoes of any kind on the park! We learnt to run, even FB's like me!

vCash
    I dont think there should be an ARU contract at all. Scrap the ARU component and lift the salary cap accordingly. The ARU component can be given to the provinces to make up the difference in the increase in salary cap. The only payments ARU should make are match payments and any payments involving training camps and squad tours etc.
    I think when the ARU are restricted to giving a certain number of players contracts,they also seem obligated to play them regardless of form and fitness to try and get as much bang for their buck as possible. eg beale, horne, mitchell etc Guys who are in form will struggle to crack the 22 unless severe injuries deplete the original lot of 30 ARU contracted players. Guys like this are Shipperely, Cummins, Nic White etc

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I believe that it is in the best interest of Australian Rugby that all of the Provinces are performing to the very best of their ability.

SO with that in mind I believe that the High Performance Unit of the Australian Rugby Union should not only have a vested interest in who plays for which province but they should also have the final say in transfers to prevent provinces from becoming to powerful at the detriment of lesser provinces .

Of course this would only work if they dont put provisions on the selectors to pick "x" number of players from certain provinces no matter how they perform.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    I believe that it is in the best interest of Australian Rugby that all of the Provinces are performing to the very best of their ability.

SO with that in mind I believe that the High Performance Unit of the Australian Rugby Union should not only have a vested interest in who plays for which province but they should also have the final say in transfers to prevent provinces from becoming to powerful at the detriment of lesser provinces .

Of course this would only work if they dont put provisions on the selectors to pick "x" number of players from certain provinces no matter how they perform.

"Whoa"
    Quite a statement!
    I'm not sure that the so called franchise system would accept that.
    We should either have proper franchises like the Rebels and the Force or go on to a wholly subsidised system that should never work. If they wish to " be involved with development " fine but it has to cost them. If they wish to have players for development
    "ditto". If they wish players to play for the Wallabies give them an incentive and special match bonuses (or maybe let them keep their jersey).

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Elf1 View Post
    I think we got to a maximum of one tackle before kicking.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue