Thread: Tri-Nations awards

vCash

Tri-Nations awards

http://www.sarugby.com/news/News/article/sid=10012.html
    Another Tri-Nations has come and gone with the All Blacks, once again, taking the spoils in 2008. Despite the bloated nature of the expanded format the competition still went right to the wire - and dished up some classic clashes along the way.

As the curtain comes down on the competition we give our annual SARugby.com awards to the best - and the worst - of 2008.

Team of the tournament

1. Tony Woodcock
    2. Andrew Hore
    3. Greg Somerville
    4. James Horwill
    5. Ali Williams
    6. Rocky Elsom
    7. Richie McCaw
    8. Rodney So'oialo
    9. Jimmy Cowan
    10. Dan Carter
    11. Lote Tuqiri
    12. Jean de Villiers
    13. Stirling Mortlock
    14. Richard Kahui
    15. Mils Muliaina

Player of the tournament

Dan Carter

Game of the tournament

South Africans will hail the win in Dunedin. Australians will have enjoyed breaking their drought in Durban. The All Blacks, however, won the game of the tournament in Brisbane in the winner takes all decider. Test rugby at its best with a tight first half, a run-away leader just after half time, a powerful burst from the All Blacks and a grand stand finish.

Best referee

Jonathan Kaplan was our pick of the tournament.

Worst referee

Stuart Dickinson for incredibly missing the Thorn spear tackle on John Smit.

Most cringeworthy moment

Kobus Wiese's post match interview with Victor Matfield following the loss in Durban. First the big man tried to point out perceived cheating by the Wallabies to Matfield before getting the venue for the next game wrong. Embarrassing!

Stupidity Award

CJ van der Linde's flying headbutt. What was he thinking?

Best veteran

Our vote goes to Bok legend Percy Montgomery. Although he featured mostly from the bench for the Boks, the blond-flyer reached the auspicious 100 Test caps for his country. He played two more Tests before hanging up his international boots after the 53-8 rout of the Wallabies.

Best hair

Ma'a Nonu's new Rasta colour dreadlocks added a touch of class and colour to any game.

Best newcomer

Stephen Donald looked the business coming off the bench for the All Blacks, while Luke Burgess and Peter Hynes also impressed for the Wallabies. In the end, however, the Beast Mtawarira takes the award as the best newcomer for him impact at loose-head for the Boks.

Most heartwarming moment

Jongi Nokwe's fairytale quartet of tries at Coca-Cola park. The nonchalant manner he scored his tries and his humble - some might say bewildered - post match interview.

Worst hair

A tie between Ricky Januarie and Dick Muir wearing the blond Percy wigs.

Best facial hair

Only one winner: PdV

Player who was the biggest disappointment

Victor Matfield

Most cringe worthy commentator

Hugh Bladen, for calling Wallaby prop Ben Robinson, Ben Johnson for almost the entire game against the Boks at Coca Cola Park.

Warren ' Walking Cliche' Brosnihan also gets an honourable mention.

Some memorable Brosnihan quotes:

"He's showing more toe than a roman sandal."

"Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it."

"He's a big piece of meat."

"Try time!"

Most entertaining commentator

Phil Kearns

Try of the tournament

South Africans will tell you it was Ricky Januarie's match-winning try in Dunedin of course, but Andrew Hore's try against Australia in Sydney, where he cut the angle and beat a handful of defenders to the line gets the nod this time around. Not bad gas for a front-ranker either, and were are not talking about his flatulence.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    Best facial hair

Only one winner: PdV
    does anyone know who PdV is??

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    peter de villiers?

vCash
    aww yeah
    makes sense now

BOKKE

vCash
    it can't be him, his facial hair sucked arse.

My vote goes either for Drew's lame attempt at growing a mustache or (Of course) Scott (the Wolverine) Fava for the many iterations of his mutton chops

C'mon the

vCash
    but this is for tri nations not super 14

BOKKE

vCash
    Lote in team of the tournament?!?!
    Why isn't Crossy in there for newcomer, he had a stellar campaign?
    Why is Percy there for best veteran, he barely played at all when he did he didn't do anything special!?!
    Most heart-warming moment? They're pretty South African bias I thought they would have said Percy's 100th game (not my choice, but I'd have thought they would have chosen it).

The most part I reckon is pretty good, especially the stupidity one for CJ van Der Linde, but what on earth is ^ about?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    Lote in team of the tournament?!?!
    Seems like most pundits agree how good a player Lote is, from Robbie Deans right through to the Saffer press. Everyone except the majority of TWF.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Seems like most pundits agree how good a player Lote is, from Robbie Deans right through to the Saffer press. Everyone except the majority of TWF.
    thats because we know better

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lara93 View Post
    but this is for tri nations not super 14
    Oh....Yeah....good point that!

Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Yeah I don't really get it though, Lote's apparently the best number 11 in the comp, but we all know how Drew kicked his ass scoring tries in the World Cup. Granted Lote sucked a lot less this year than last year, but he's still not the duck's guts in my book. For me a winger is paid to score tries, everything else is a nice addition and handy if you can get it, but really, meat pies is their job and the rest is secondary. Lote does a lot of the other stuff, but how many tries does he ACTUALLY score. he only seems to get on the scoresheet as a result of somebody else doing something AMAZING and getting him 20m in the clear.

I know Moses and Jesus will wade in sometime tonight, defending Lote as the Wunderkind that the SMH seem to think he is, but surely that could be countered by collecting some stats for total tries scored by the wingers in the tri nations.....now I haven't done any sums but there was one Saffer bloke who piled four onto us in one game (Nokwe wasn't it) did Lote even score four tries in the tournament?

yeah well that might be the case but he did a lot of work off the ball and carting the ball up which took pressure off our forwards

Highlight the whole thing and you'll see Moses' reply.....which is a load of crap IMHO

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by some saffa idiot

Team of the tournament

11. Lote Tuqiri
    how did lote get in there? he was rubbish!

Best referee

Jonathan Kaplan was our pick of the tournament.

Worst referee

Stuart Dickinson for incredibly missing the Thorn spear tackle on John Smit.
    there is such a thing as a good referee?

if jonathan kaplan refereed a single allblacks game involving mccaw hes out.

Worst hair

A tie between Ricky Januarie and Dick Muir wearing the blond Percy wigs.
    did they not see drew shaved?

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    For me the most cringe worthy moment was Tahus defence in the Ellis park drubbing. I thought mungoes could tackle.