Thread: All Blacks players in revolt threat to New Zealand Rugby

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

All Blacks players in revolt threat to New Zealand Rugby

Rugby in New Zealand is facing a potential civil war after the New Zealand Rugby Players Association (NZRPA) warned that they will split from the governing body if their demands are not met.

A letter, signed by several All Blacks past and present, has been sent to the New Zealand Rugby members ahead of a vote at a special general meeting on May 30.

It relates to a proposal put forward by some provincial unions following a review into the NZR after a NZ$200m deal with Silver Lake was accepted.

A condition of that agreement was for a review to be set up, delving into the governance of the NZR.

Changed recommended
    The outcome was particularly bad for the governing body, with it being described as ‘not fit for purpose.’

As a result, sweeping changes were recommended, but since then some provincial unions have come back with a counter-offer, which the players have deemed unacceptable.

“Should Proposal 2 [put forward by some provincial unions] be adopted, or the status quo prevail, the professional players will no longer pass to NZRU, via a collective employment agreement, the right to govern the professional game,” the NZRPA letter read.

“A new body will be established to govern the professional game in New Zealand. Directors appointed by the professional players will represent the players on this body and on other bodies such as NZRC [New Zealand Rugby Commercial].

“NZRU will make appointments to this new body, as will, likely NZRC. Super Rugby clubs will be represented and tangata whenua will of course be inherent.”

New Zealand Rugby to ‘modernise’ after scathing review deemed them ‘not fit for purpose’

Big names involved
    Richie McCaw, Sam Cane, Sam Whitelock, Will Jordan and David Kirk, as well as Blacks Ferns stars Sarah Hirini and Ruby Tui, were among those to sign the letter.

It added: “This new body, for example called ‘The Professional Rugby Tribunal’, will govern, in some sort of partnership with NZRU, the sale of media rights, the contracting of sponsors, the revenue share model, international and national competitions, the high-performance programmes and development pathways and any other activity that impacts the careers, safety, remuneration, workplace and development of professional players.

“NZRU will continue to govern alone the community and amateur game including provincial rugby, club rugby and other non-professional rugby activities.”

Although the NZRPA do not want to go through with this action, they insist that they have been left with little alternative given the proposal put forward.

“The proposed new arrangements outlined above are NOT the NZRPA’s preference. The professional players do not want to see a divided and further complicated governance system but will not under any circumstances be governed under Proposal 2 or the status quo,” the letter read.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rugb...7c90c500&ei=20

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Dear NZRPA,
    Please hold off any further action until the lead up week to Bledisloe 1.
    Kind regards,
    RA.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    This classic always comes to mind when I read such articles

Name:  Peasants.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  46.6 KB

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Sir John Kirwan slams New Zealand powerbrokers for ‘holding game to ransom’ amidst civil war threat

All Blacks legend Sir John Kirwan has called on the key powerbrokers to work together in order to fix New Zealand’s “broken system”.

A civil war threatens to break out after the New Zealand Rugby Players Association sent an explosive letter to the unions announcing their intention to break away from the governing body should their demands not be met.

Their disillusionment comes over a proposal to retain the “status quo” in New Zealand Rugby despite an independent review recommending sweeping alterations.

NZR was described as being ‘not fit for purpose’ in August last year, leading to calls for change, but some provincial unions came in with a counter-offer, which has left the players unhappy.

Infighting
    “Some of these chairmen, they’re just holding the game a wee bit to ransom. Some of these guys that are fighting, their unions lost $800,000 to a million dollars last year. It’s a broken system at the moment, we need to get back to what’s best for our game,” Kirwan told Newstalk ZB.

“You spent millions of dollars on a governance review, that governance review’s come out and now you’re trying to change it. So the problem is power.
    “The interesting thing for the public is the NPC sides really at the end of the day have a vote, all of them, that can change the direction of the game.

“What we’re trying to do is speed that up, what the governance review said is we need to have a look at our game, we need to change it, we need a different structure.”

All Blacks players in revolt threat to New Zealand Rugby after extraordinary letter plunges game into crisis

Although Kirwan agrees with the NZRPA that change must happen, the 59-year-old believes that they are going about it the wrong way.

“That will happen again, there will be an absolute split. That’s why I don’t think threatening to leave is the right answer,” he said.

“I understand Rob’s [Nichol, chair of NZRPA] frustration because he has seen this governance review done and now they’re trying to change it, I understand that frustration.”

Public growing weary
    Kirwan is worried that the power struggle is turning the New Zealand public off the sport as they grow tired of the constant arguing.

“The trouble is, with me, I don’t like threats of people leaving and that sort of stuff but our game continues to be split. The saddest thing for me is people don’t give a s*** any more because they’re just sick of it,” he added.

“Rather than having an opinion and being passionate about it, if you just stop caring, that’s when our game is in real danger.”

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rugb...1654d622&ei=10

vCash
    I appears that NZ rugby is headed straight to the same places we have been for years

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    I appears that NZ rugby is headed straight to the same places we have been for years
    It's not like they have to fly far to see how effective an independently appointed board is at administering the game is it?

Not like the old system of monopoly had any better options for Aussie Rugby though so I can't be sure who (if anybody) has the best interests of the game at heart.

C'mon the