Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Force Scrum

vCash

Force Scrum

The Force scrum seems to be much improved this year. Sure, there have been some wobbles, but overall it seems to be much better.

Haven't seen this discussed much on this forum, other than a few early season questions/slags about why they hired a "scrum coach who couldn't scrummage"... Stiles seems to have acquitted himself, no?

Any thoughts?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    the Force Scrum has been the most consistent in the Comp IMHO. Im pretty sure weve had the least resets and the least penalties as well

vCash
    Great work by Nick Stiles, we have come a long way this year, but the base was built by John Mitchell, who seems to be doing the same at the Lions now.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    K-bomb's done fantastic work. When I went on the Canberra tour in '09 he seemed too small to be a top-class prop - but he's put on some bulk and come good. With Pek, Charlie and K-bomb we've got an awesome, young front row, with some good U20 players in the academy.

Player
    vCash
    Longbum is up to Super rugby standard. But we are losing Fairbrother and Dunning at the end of the year (what is happening to Cowen?)
    We have PAE and CAN as up and comers, but we need someone to anchor the scrum on the TH side. Someone experienced (Longbum and Cowen are both LHs).

vCash
    Need to include Tetera Faulkner in the mix for next year as cover for Dunning or Fairbrother. No idea on his game though.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oxleymoron View Post
    Need to include Tetera Faulkner in the mix for next year as cover for Dunning or Fairbrother. No idea on his game though.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Fair enough. I still want to see us pick up an experienced tight head though. For mentoring of the two youngens if not for anything else.
    Anyone know how good Faulkner is?

We seem to be going through quite a few established props without nailing anyone down (with the exception of Cowen and Longbum, who we developed).
    We have seen Dunning, Fairbrother, Henderson and Castle all come and go within a year or two.

Player
    vCash
    U have to give Matt Tink some credit. He turned the scrummaging around last year and Stiles has done a great job continuing with it. Why they signed "pie man" Mafu is a mystery to me though

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    the Force Scrum has been the most consistent in the Comp IMHO. Im pretty sure weve had the least resets and the least penalties as well
    we still get penalised too often for early engagement

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Player
    vCash
    Is that over eagerness or the stupid 6 second engagement calls from the refs..

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    I think the Force would do well to look at what's out their in clubland in the front row than to be looking first everywhere but their own back yard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rucking Good View Post
    U have to give Matt Tink some credit. He turned the scrummaging around last year and Stiles has done a great job continuing with it. Why they signed "pie man" Mafu is a mystery to me though
    It's a bit hard to answer that question, but one thing I do know. We signed Matt Dunning whilst he was injured with a year long Achilles, having been decimated by the English front row and labelled a tellytubby. He had not played a decent game of super rugby for years and we all wondered how it would go. After a couple of years though, we're all lamenting losing him, he's found some form. Whilst he's not really up to international standard anymore

On to marshmallow ma'afu, he's currently not the strongest scrummager, nor the most mobile, or effective around the field, however there might be something there we haven't seen. To be fair, all of our experienced props have been criticized for being journeymen upon signing, but we've had a pretty good strike rate getting blokes that have done the job..........that might have been John Mitchell's nouse, I don't know, all I can be sure of is, we need to give the guy the benefit of a doubt, no matter how much of a gimp he is ATM

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    we need to give the guy the benefit of a doubt, no matter how much of a gimp he is ATM
    High praise indeed!

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rucking Good View Post
    Is that over eagerness or the stupid 6 second engagement calls from the refs..
    you mean the 6 seconds that differs between each one ? lol

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    you mean the 6 seconds that differs between each one ? lol
    I think Hippy's sentiment is bang on here, there is bugger all consistency at scrum reffing time. I think it is only a matter of time before a bloke gets injured. All of that resetting and stuffing around just tires blokes which leads to bad technique which can lead to wheelchairs.

Hasta la vista Pam

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast