Melbourne Rebels coach Rod Macqueen meets with Mark Gasnier

By James Hooper, Sunday Telegraph
February 07, 2010.

Rugby convert Mark Gasnier has held a secret meeting (I love these "secret" meetings...) at the Sydney home of Melbourne Rebels coach Rod Macqueen in a clear indication that he is considering a return to Australia.

On record about his desire to represent the Wallabies at the 2011 Rugby World Cup, Gasnier's agent has contacted the Australian Rugby Union about topping up any potential Super 15 contract.

The No. 1 backline target for the Rebels, Gasnier travelled to the Northern Beaches home of former Wallabies coach Macqueen last Thursday to discuss a potential move from Paris to Melbourne.

The former Kangaroos centre arrived in Australia last Saturday to prepare for his wedding with Claudine Bonnechere in front of 100 family and friends at Darling Point on Saturday.

ARU high performance unit manager David Nucifora confirmed they had been contacted by Gasnier's agent George Mimis and were considering offering the former St George Illawarra captain an upgraded deal to lure him home.

Macqueen admitted he sat down with Gasnier to gauge his interest in becoming a marquee signing for the team that will enter Super rugby next year.

"Mark's obviously looking to move on with his life and he seems to have a good head on his shoulders," Macqueen said.

"One of the things about Mark is he's now had a couple of years in rugby. He's been playing on the wing overseas, but he's probably better suited to outside centre."

Nucifora confirmed he had discussed Gasnier with Wallabies coach Robbie Deans and the pair had an ongoing interest in bolstering Australia's depth ahead of next year's World Cup in New Zealand.

Nucifora met Gasnier in Paris in November, 2008, after the rugby league convert had signed a $2 million two-year contract to play Top 14 French rugby for Paris-based club Stade Francais.

"I initially spoke to Gasnier when he first went over to rugby because I'd never met the guy, just to try to get to know him," Nucifora said.

"That's the only conversation I've had with Mark, just over 12 months ago, but since then his agent has contacted us and we have had discussions."

"Mark is showing some interest in wanting to come back to Australia and wanting to have a crack at rugby. "

"We're reasonably interested in chatting to him about what his motivations are and where his expectations sit in coming back to Australia."

"He's got a good pedigree as a footballer and he's a good athlete."

With his two-year deal with Stade Francais due to expire in June, Gasnier is also available to return to the NRL mid-season if he desires.

If the former NSW and Australian centre returns to the code he made his name in, St George Illawarra remain the favourites to land his signature.

Queensland Reds coach Ewen McKenzie -- the man involved in Gasnier's defection to rugby -- has also declared his interest in luring him to Brisbane if he wants to stay in rugby.