Thread: Tahu's big '09 predictions

vCash

Tahu's big '09 predictions

Tahu's big '09 predictions

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...006067,00.html

WARATAHS centre Timana Tahu claims his cross-code transition is complete and believes his Wallabies tour experience will translate into results on the field this season.

Tahu starred in the Waratahs' 60-nil thumping of the Fiji Warriors in Newcastle on Friday night, scoring a try and sending winger Lote Tuqiri over the line for another.

The former Newcastle and Parramatta NRL star, who returned early from the Wallabies spring tour with a hamstring injury, said his 12 months in the 15-man game will be evident on the field this season.

"I feel like I'm a better player, I think after the Italy game (with the Wallabies) I sort of worked things out,'' Tahu said. "It probably took a year for me to scratch up my knowledge and know how to play rugby, so this year I'm coming in confident and I'm expecting big things from myself. Hopefully I'll have a good season.''

A long line of hamstring injuries have limited Tahu's time in rugby but the outside back said after Friday's hit-out he was feeling fit and confident in the work he'd done during his rehab.

"I think our training staff has got everything down pat, you really don't get to rest when you're injured, they find ways to flog you,'' Tahu said with a smile. ''... I trained through the Christmas break and was expected to come back at the start of training to be fully fit.

"My conditioning is up pretty good I think, it's only going to get better as I get more games in.''

The Waratahs will face the Brumbies at the Sydney Football Stadium in their final pre-season trial on Thursday. Tahu said the Brumbies match-up would give him a better gauge of where he was at.

"I expect they're going to be full strength sides, I'll be probably up against Stirling Mortlock so it'll probably give me a test on how much I've prepared and how much the team has prepared,'' he said. "Going into that game is going to be a good challenge for us before the Super 14 starts.''

Expect Timana Tahu to be a standout at 12 this season.... he has a lot of talent with ball in hand...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    "I feel like I'm a better player, I think after the Italy game (with the Wallabies) I sort of worked things out,'' Tahu said. "It probably took a year for me to scratch up my knowledge and know how to play rugby, so this year I'm coming in confident and I'm expecting big things from myself. Hopefully I'll have a good season.''
    It must have been all the experience he got from the games since then.

I want some vbookie odds on how many games it will take for Tahu to be out injured for the rest of the season. I'm feeling optimistic- I think three.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    who knows he could be a walking first month injury... I watched him at the Australia A v Tonga last year and he was on firer... It was the Tahu show…

Tahu’s problem is with defence not attack. If he can get that right he will be a formidable opponent for any centre pairing...

I wouldn't under estimate the guy... in his second season... look how well Ryan Cross has come on in his second year...

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    who knows he could be a walking first month injury... I watched him at the Australia A v Tonga last year and he was on firer... It was the Tahu show…

Tahu’s problem is with defence not attack. If he can get that right he will be a formidable opponent for any centre pairing...

I wouldn't under estimate the guy... in his second season... look how well Ryan Cross has come on in his second year...
    Part of me hopes Tahu does well just so the ARU hasn't wasted the large amount of money they sunk in him. The other, more reasonable part, wants him to burn as all Tahs should.

Ryan cross played almost three times as much union as Tahu did as well as having experience when he was a young-un.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Part of me hopes Tahu does well just so the ARU hasn't wasted the large amount of money they sunk in him. The other, more reasonable part, wants him to burn as all Tahs should.

Ryan cross played almost three times as much union as Tahu did as well as having experience when he was a young-un.
    ryan cross was a nsw junior so that explains why he has done as well as he has!

vCash
    Tahu will adapt.... Has I said, I wouldn't under estimate him with ball in hand... I’m sure any good coach will keep a close eye on him and brief his centres accordingly when they face Tahu...

vCash
    the problem with Tahu was when he didn't have ball in hand, He was a turnstile in defence. If he works on defence he should be good. Then we can hate him solely because he plays for the tahs
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    i wouldnt say he was a turnstile, that term is reserved more for the players who cant tackle, Tahu has no problem in tackling players, he has just had a hard time adjusting to Rugby Union defensive patterns and reading the attacking play.

Morgan Turinui is a turnstile, he is almost always in the right place, but he is just shit at tackling.

Whilst i hope Tahu goes well, i do hope that he is the last big name NRL convert, such a waste of money, at worst they should be targetting the U21 NRL players who are ex Rugby schoolboys.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    Whilst i hope Tahu goes well, i do hope that he is the last big name NRL convert, such a waste of money, at worst they should be targetting the U21 NRL players who are ex Rugby schoolboys.
    Yeah and preferably the big heavy ones that would strength out lock/front row stocks. We have quite a lot of talented backs as it is.