Thread: Force grog flop hits Glory, Rabbitohs games

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Force grog flop hits Glory, Rabbitohs games

CHRIS THOMSON

September 30, 2009 - 7:48AM

The Western Force's failure to sell alcohol-free memberships at Subiaco Oval may see the number of family seats at Perth Glory and South Sydney Rabbitohs fixtures in Perth slashed by 93 per cent.

In support of a liquor licence application for its new home at ME Bank Stadium, the Force admits it sold only 20 - or 1.2 per cent - of its 1671 alcohol-free seats at Subiaco this year.

In 2007 the Force quarantined 661 alcohol-free seats for its members at Subiaco.
    WAtoday.com.au has obtained a submission from Western Force management to liquor approval authorities that reveals there was "almost no take-up" of the bays then or in 2008.

In response, the rugby franchise this year extended its alcohol ban to an additional 1010 seats which were marketed at a cheaper price.

"Despite the extra seats being added, and the consistent promotion to our members of the alcohol-free seating option available, we currently only have 20 members who elect to sit in these areas," the Force submission says.

For its inaugural 2010 season at ME Bank Stadium, the Super XIV rugby franchise plans to offload to the general public any alcohol-free seats not bought by members.

Responding to the Force's relocation, Perth Oval caterer Spotless has demanded the State Government approve a 93 per cent cut to the venue's alcohol-free "family" seating from the current 1922 seats to just 144.

This would slash the venue's proportion of alcohol-free seats from the current 10 per cent to just 0.7 per cent - well below the 4 per cent of Subiaco seats from which Western Force fans had been banned from consuming alcohol.

The Government's Drug and Alcohol Office, and Liquor Enforcement Unit, have already expressed concerns about the plan.

In another blow to rugby's relocation, WAtoday.com.au can reveal that at a secret session last week, Town of Vincent councillors rejected a bid by the Force to erect a 750-patron marquee on a park beside ME Bank Stadium for the entire Super XIV season.

Before the meeting, council CEO John Giorgi slammed as "totally unacceptable" the mooted Loton Park location.

He expressed dismay that the town had not been consulted over the plan, hatched by the Force and stadium management company Allia.

Also scuppered at the secret session was a plot by the Force to usurp the council's stadium executive suite while imminent venue renovations were underway.

Mr Giorgi claimed he was not consulted on that idea either, and that his council needed the suite for "various events".

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/fo...0929-ga50.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Well there is a news flash rugby supporters drink alcohol. Who would have thunk it?
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    I assume that most of the Nickel and Iron members will be seated in the southern end of the ground which is the Alcohol Free end of the ground, I can see some unhappy alco.....I mean Rugby supporters if they can't get it changed

vCash
    What is the drama? It would not be hard to extend a 'dry zone' by roping off a few extra rows or bays etc; So if Perth Glory and South Sydney Rabbitohs wanted to sell extra non alcohol area family tickets they could.
    Personally, I would prefer a free alcohol membership.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    "The Western Force's failure to sell alcohol-free memberships at Subiaco Oval may see the number of family seats at Perth Glory and South Sydney Rabbitohs fixtures in Perth slashed by 93 per cent."

How does this correlation come about? Why do the Glory and the Rabbitohs have to take on the seating arrangements of the Force? If the Glory or Rabbitohs don't want family seating, surely they can cover any such signage and sell tickets in a different arrangement to the others.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    I have no idea how this actually affects the Glory or the Bunnies, at first glance it is a bit of a nothing story

Last edited by jargan83; 30-09-09 at 10:56.

vCash
    Not surprised the council are displeased they might lose their box especially as they have chipped in for the improvements.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OzFUB View Post
    Not surprised the council are displeased they might lose their box especially as they have chipped in for the improvements.
    Pretty weak if you ask me. They haven't chipped in- the rate payers in the town of Vincent have. ToV wants the Force to come to MES to boost the businesses in the area and yet they seem reluctant to compromise in the short term to ensure a successful long-term relationship.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    They haven't chipped in- the rate payers in the town of Vincent have.
    How is that any different to normal taxation? Does this mean I can tell the State and Federal Government what I want my tax dollars to be spent on?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OzFUB View Post
    They think they will be getting freebies....make the buggers pay

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    How is that any different to normal taxation? Does this mean I can tell the State and Federal Government what I want my tax dollars to be spent on?
    Well no. But I don't think that Kevin Rudd or Colin Barnett would be fair or reasonable to make a decision that benefited them personally and likely had a negative effect on everyone else. I would have thought that the ToV having a private box at MES would be a conflict of interest unless maybe it was paid for our of the councillors own pocket but in that case this wouldn't be an issue.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Well no. But I don't think that Kevin Rudd or Colin Barnett would be fair or reasonable to make a decision that benefited them personally and likely had a negative effect on everyone else. I would have thought that the ToV having a private box at MES would be a conflict of interest unless maybe it was paid for our of the councillors own pocket but in that case this wouldn't be an issue.
    I daresay there could be a clause somewhere regarding the ToV box from when the ground was last upgraded/rebuilt to a proper Rectangular ground?

Or maybe when they signed the contracts with Allia to manage the venue?

Last edited by jargan83; 30-09-09 at 16:37.

vCash
    Who are the 20 Force members who are currently signed-up? Name and shame them!

(This coming from someone living in a Muslim country!)