Thread: Inexperience to cost Toomua

vCash

Post Inexperience to cost Toomua

Experience not performance is likely to cost Matt Toomua the ACT Brumbies' No.10 jersey this weekend.

Gene Fairbanks declared himself yesterday fit and ready to replace Toomua at flyhalf against the Queensland Reds on Saturday night.

Fairbanks was expected to step in as Christian Lealiifano's flyhalf replacement against the Wellington Hurricanes last weekend, but was struck down by a groin injury at training.

Coach Andy Friend hinted Fairbanks's experience would likely sway him to select the 26-year-old over teenager Toomua.

Friend was impressed with 19-year-old Toomua's Super 14 run-on debut in the 56-7 loss to the Hurricanes.

But with Mark Gerrard (hamstring) also likely to rejoin the squad, the coach said experience would boost the team's performance after the Brumbies' worst defeat.

"I thought Matt did really well in the last game, so we'll just go through our selection process," Friend said."We need to have a chat as coaches and we'll see what comes of it.

"Experienced players do give you a bit of confidence so if you can get those guys on the park that's something that will be good for the side, especially after the result last weekend."

Fairbanks also praised Toomua, but conceded there were areas of his game that needed work for the last three matches of the regular season.

"There are a couple of issues that he's aware of and that he needs to work on this week if he is to start at 10 again," Fairbanks said."But I thought it was a good performance for his first starting run.

"I think he was a little bit deep at stages in attack which made it hard to get over the advantage line.

"Also defensively it was one of the toughest games to play at 10."

Second-rower Sitaleki Timani is also in line for a return and will undergo fitness tests later in the week.

Versatile back Fairbanks said he would be comfortable if moved from his favoured position at inside-centre to flyhalf.

A neck injury forced the 26-year-old to miss the majority of last season and he made his Super 14 return against the Durban Sharks last month.

If Fairbanks slots in as flyhalf, he will face off against the in-form Berrick Barnes, who led Queensland to a 31-24 victory against the Auckland Blues last weekend.

"The groin's feeling really good and I had a good couple of days of recovery on the weekend," Fairbanks said.

"I'll see how it pulls up [after yesterday's training], but I'm very confident it will be fine and then hopefully I'll be back to full team training [today].

"Fitness wise, I'm going to be totally fine ... hopefully I'm going to be in the mix somewhere."

The 49-point loss in New Zealand last weekend means the Brumbies' finals hopes hinge on winning all their remaining games.

Friend believed it was still possible.

"We've made it very difficult on ourselves and we'll be relying on other results," Friend said."But all we can do is get a win this week and then focus on the games after that.

"I do think we've got the side that can beat [the Reds], it's just a matter of getting focused and getting that done."

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...684434150.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rookie
    vCash
    I think he'll stay there, Fairbanks to 12, Smith to 13 and push Mortlock out to 14.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!