Thread: Aussie fans 'spat on' at RWC

vCash

Aussie fans 'spat on' at RWC

Rugby World Cup chief executive Martin Snedden described New Zealanders' treatment of Australian fans as "disappointing" after fierce trans-Tasman rivalries took on a spiteful edge.

Australian fans complained of being spat on and abused when the Wallabies slumped to a shock defeat against Ireland in Auckland last weekend, identifying New Zealanders, not travelling Irish fans, as the culprits.

Australia and New Zealand have always enjoyed a healthy level of sporting rivalry but Snedden said it would be uncharacteristic if it had crossed the line into outright hostility.

"The overwhelming response here has been one of welcoming and supporting the visiting teams and their fans," the RWC chief told the Sydney Morning Herald.

"If some visiting Wallaby fans have not been welcomed this way, we would be very disappointed, as this would definitely be out of character with the way New Zealanders have looked after our visitors over the past two weeks."

An online poll conducted by the Sydney newspaper found 61 per cent of 10,500 respondents felt threatened attending a game with New Zealand supporters.

The home fans' rancour towards Australia has been partly fuelled by New Zealand-born Quade Cooper's presence in the Wallabies' team, particularly as he has a reputation for needling the All Blacks' revered skipper Richie McCaw.

The Wallabies are also seen as perhaps the main obstacle to the All Blacks' hopes of breaking a 24-year World Cup drought, explaining the unrestrained glee with which many New Zealanders greeted Australia's 15-6 loss to Ireland.

All Blacks assistant coach Steve Hansen admitted he was enjoying Australia's discomfort but said the historic rivalry was tempered with respect.

"I mean we've gone to war and fought shoulder to shoulder," he told reporters on Wednesday.

"They're probably looked upon as the big brother and we're the little brother, we want to belt them, they want to belt us.

"So if they're suffering a bit at the moment, the little brother will be smiling and chuckling away, won't he? So we'll enjoy that while we can."

However, TVNZ presenter Alison Mau, an Australian who moved across the Tasman in the 1990s, said she had never seen such vitriol against her homeland.

"For the first time, I feel there might be a bit more to it that just good fun between mates. It worries me," she told the New Zealand Herald.

"The worst sledges (insults) are generally fuelled by alcohol and are both unprintable and not worth the ink."

She attributed the animosity to New Zealand's inferiority complex about Australia, which is both richer than its neighbour and has long enjoyed sporting ascendancy, including winning two Rugby World Cups to New Zealand's one.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8350560

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    this is a pity

it seems some kiwis have got the english boozing and brawling culture we seem to have inherited. i noted one of the kiwi commentators accusing australians as always being the first into a fight in one of the earlier games in RWC. not a particularly nice thing to be known for.

if i make it to new zealand for a force game next year, i'll wear a rain coat.

cheers auss...
    fabricarti diem punc

vCash
    That's terrible to hear. We just coped some light hearted banter after the game. Kiwi hospitality is alive in Wellington though - just had a kiwi pick us up and another couple too, from the bus stop and take us into town

Laugh and the world laughs with you.......
    ......cry and you'll weaken your beer

Champion
    vCash
    Never had a problem in 2000. The people in Wellington were gracious in defeat. It would be a shame if things have changed

vCash
    Do I need a bodyguard when I come over.??..OH! I have just remembered at my age I am invisible..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post
    at my age I am invisible..
    Depends. Did you have any green & gold clothes specially made for the trip?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David