Thread: Fitzpatrick mulls call from the west

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Fitzpatrick mulls call from the west

Bret Harris | May 19, 2009

Article from: The Australian

AUSTRALIAN under-20s hooker Damien Fitzpatrick will decide by the end of the week whether to remain with NSW Waratahs or join Western Force for next year's Super 14 series.

Fitzpatrick, 19, is regarded as a future Wallabies hooker, but he has two Test players, Tatafu Polota-Nau and Adam Freier, ahead of him at the Waratahs.
    The Force is desperate to recruit a talented hooker to replace former Wallaby Tai McIsaac, who has taken a coaching job in Japan.

The Perth-based team has already tried to sign Polota-Nau and Springbok hooker Bismarck du Plessis.

"I've got under-20s in Japan on the first of June so I'm definitely looking to try and make a decision before I head over there," Fitzpatrick said. "It's something that's been on my mind for a while and I want to try to sort it out soon.

"It's a very tough decision. I've got my family here in Sydney. I'm just weighing up a few options.
    "I'm close to a decision. It has been hard though."

Fitzpatrick's under-20s teammate Ben Whittaker emerged as the back-up to McIsaac at the Force this year, but Fitzpatrick would almost certain be guaranteed the starting position in Perth.

A confident young man, Fitzpatrick would have no qualms about starting for a Super 14 side despite his inexperience.

"If you ask any coach, no spot is ever guaranteed, but there is definitely opportunity in the west," Fitzpatrick said. "It just depends what I want here. I like the Waratahs, but the Force have given me other options. It's something I'm looking at. I'll make a decision soon, hopefully."

Fitzpatrick spent the last eight games of the Super 14 series on the Waratahs' bench after Freier sustained a season-ending chest muscle injury.
    A mobile, ball-running hooker, Fitzpatrick certainly showed he was a player of immense potential.

"It was a bit of a shock with Hass (Freier) getting injured so quickly," Fitpatrick said. "I was just kind of thrown into it. I've really enjoyed the experience and I think I'll be better for it."

NSW coach Chris Hickey said the Waratahs were keen to keep Fitzpatrick. "We would very much like to hold Damien. He is a player with a tremendous future.
    "I think he sees there are good opportunities for him here at the Waratahs and good development opportunities for him as well.

"At 19 maybe the development opportunity and the opportunity to work with the Wallaby frontrow and with Michael Foley (forwards coach)."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015651,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    Maybe better to target Frier for his experience.Although Ive always thought him to be a bit small.....but you cant beat experience.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    Maybe better to target Frier for his experience.Although Ive always thought him to be a bit small.....but you cant beat experience.
    I would rather have a young gun who can grow with the team. Besides, you're right, he's too small and can't throw. I've always thought he was over rated.

Just happy to be here

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I did note the article on the weekend about the Force looking closely at a number of the under 20s team. I can't find a link, but I guess it is one advantage of having a number of unreplaced departures at the moment. With the respective flurry of signings, have the other teams got much room for any talent highlighted by the U20WC? Assuming a Melbourne team to come, this may be the last chance for a while and we may have it largely to ourselves...

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    I did note the article on the weekend about the Force looking closely at a number of the under 20s team. I can't find a link, but I guess it is one advantage of having a number of unreplaced departures at the moment. With the respective flurry of signings, have the other teams got much room for any talent highlighted by the U20WC? Assuming a Melbourne team to come, this may be the last chance for a while and we may have it largely to ourselves...
    About a third of the JWC team are already S14 contracted. The rest are in various academies here there and everywhere. It would be nice to get a big slice of the remaining pie and a winger or two will definitely be handy for next year. I think the Reds are probably the only other team who make take a good look in at the JWC but they might not bother as most of them are already in their academies anyway.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.