Thread: Forwards revamp gives pack even more punch

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Forwards revamp gives pack even more punch

Forwards revamp gives pack even more punch

Greg Growden in Paris Chief Rugby Correspondent | November 19, 2008

The Wallabies have revamped their pack by rewarding prop Ben Alexander, promoting breakaway Dean Mumm and shifting Hugh McMeniman to the second row for Saturday night's Test against France.

The changes to the forwards contingent does not mean coach Robbie Deans was unimpressed with the up-front performance against England. Instead, due to the tough demands of this five-week northern hemisphere tour, Deans knows some players have to rest and revive.

That is the case with loose-head prop Benn Robinson, who has started 11 of the 12 Tests this season. With a difficult game against Wales in Cardiff next week, Deans felt it was a good time for him to "have a breather". He also knows Alexander deserves another chance following his excellent effort during his starting debut against Italy in Padova. Alexander was a standout, involved in defence-breaking midfield runs, while holding up the scrum well with fellow front-rowers Matt Dunning and Stephen Moore against good opposition. Also, Alexander has some knowledge of the French, having played 20 minutes off the bench in Tests against them earlier this year in Sydney and Brisbane.

Mumm also returns after McMeniman was moved to the second row to replace Mark Chisholm, who has been workmanlike rather than spectacular on the tour. Wycliff Palu is back in the starting XV because of concerns over No.8 Richard Brown's knee and hand injuries. Team management believed Brown would have been able to play, but decided not to risk it.

The backs remain intact, while the forwards reserves contingent has been altered - with Sekope Kepu taking over from Dunning, Chisholm returning to the bench and David Pocock coming in for Palu. For the second Test running, Waratahs skipper Phil Waugh has missed out on the squad.

For McMeniman, being involved in the Test team continues to be a moveable feast. One week, the second row against Italy. The next, in the back row against England. Then back in the second row against France. It could get a bit confusing, but McMeniman is not too bothered by his regular number change.

Before being officially informed he was returning to the second row, McMeniman told the Herald: "It doesn't really worry me where I am. I can play both positions pretty easy. There's not much difference, really. I do prefer playing at No.6, and wouldn't mind playing there a bit more at provincial level, but with James Horwill being out at the moment, I'll be probably playing in the second row for the Reds as well next year.

"I don't mind though, because when you've got a good scrum, and working well as a pack, it's a pretty good feeling being in the second row. You don't have to prepare that much differently, even though in the second row you have to be ready more for a lineout role."

McMeniman said he was delighted to play his part in the Twickenham triumph.
    "It was a great feeling, but we were most happy for the front row," he said. "They have copped a lot over the last couple of years, and it was good to see them perform. We were so proud with what occurred, especially as we did our job by getting England off the ball. There were instances where they were a bit dominant at the breakdown, but we were over them physically."

He is anticipating more of the same at Stade de France. "I'm expecting to confront a tough mob who will want to attack us. They'll be out there to bash us."

■ France coach Marc Lievremont has made two changes to his team to face Australia, recalling second-rower Sebastien Chabal and bringing in Sebastien Tillous-Borde at halfback, AP reports.

Wallabies team

Adam Ashley-Cooper; Peter Hynes, Ryan Cross, Stirling Mortlock (capt), Drew Mitchell; Matt Giteau, Luke Burgess; Wycliff Palu, George Smith, Dean Mumm, Hugh McMeniman, Nathan Sharpe, Al Baxter, Stephen Moore, Ben Alexander. Reserves: Tatafu Polota-Nau, Sekope Kepu, Mark Chisholm, David Pocock, Sam Cordingley, Quade Cooper, Digby Ioane.

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...e#contentSwap1

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Good to see Bam back on the bench, hopefully he gets some meaningful time this week!
    Likewise Kepu, they need at least twenty minutes to get a feel for it, not the last dying seconds.
    Great work Alexander, here's to never being out of the 22 in the next year!
    Squad that is...
    Not showing much faith in other inside backs but at least it means Crossy gets to continue proving himself.
    Kind of a best of the rest type selection for the Backs on the bench, none of them really blow my hair back.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.