Thread: NZ rugby's five-eighth stocks take a hit

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash

NZ rugby's five-eighth stocks take a hit

NZ rugby's five-eighth stocks take a hit
    By DOUG SAIL and DUNCAN JOHNSTONE - Fairfax Media | Sunday, 16 March 2008
    NZ rugby's five-eighth stocks take a hit - New Zealand's source for sport, rugby, cricket & league news on Stuff.co.nz

Injuries are threatening to dramatically thin New Zealand rugby's five-eighth stocks.

Blues playmaker Nick Evans and Crusaders rising star Stephen Brett are the latest to be hit with both injured in their Super 14 clashes last night.

They join Blues back-up five-eighth Isa Nacewa, at least seven weeks away from playing with a knee injury, and the Chiefs Tasesa Lavea who is out for the season with a foot injury.

It is feared the injuries suffered by Evans and Brett tonight are quite serious.

The Blues fear a possible broken jaw for Evans who was helped from the field after 30 minutes following a collision with a teammate in their 27-17 loss to the Force.

He was taken to hospital and there were genuine concerns about his jaw which he was clutching as he headed through the players' tunnel at North Harbour Stadium.

Brett, the understudy to All Blacks and Crusaders star, Dan Carter, left the field in their 55-7 romp over the Cheetahs with what many thought was an AC joint problem, but a teammate, young winger Sean Maitland, later told Sky Sport there were fears Brett had actually broken his collar bone.

Evans injury couldn't come to a more important player for the Blues.

Evans has been in fluid form with his general play and his goalkicking and looks a key to his side's playoff chances.

But as good a player as Evans is, he has a long history of untimely injuries. The Blues will be hoping that Evans' latest problems don't turn out to be as serious as feared. Blues officials said Evans was dazed and his hospital visit was "a precaution".

The Blues have already lost their backup No 10 with Isa Nacewa sidelined for about another seven weeks with knee damage.

That would leave the Blues to utilise the allround talents of young All Black Isaia Toeava who took over against the Western Force but couldn't get a tired Blues side home.

The Blues have slipped from top of the table to having their top four place in danger in the space of two weeks.

And they face a massive challenge next Saturday night at Eden Park when they host a resurgent Stormers side who have already claimed two scalps on the road, beating both the Reds and the Chiefs in successvie matches.

They are already confidently talking about upsetting the Blues.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    good to see New Zealands 5/8 stocks take a hit just as Australias seems to be improving.

Obviously with Giteau the top 5/8 in the country the competition for second spot seems pretty tight, Barnes, Beale, Cooper and even Lealifano could represent the Wallabies this year if they keep playing some of there better football.

vCash
    I'm leaving that one alone TOCC!

C'mon the

vCash
    banging head against the wall....

realistically all it would take would be 1 or 2 injuries, if giteau is injured and barnes is starting, who would be on the bench, what would happen if barnes gets injured at the same time.

Unless you want to call in someone like SMK, who i hope is never in a wallaby jersey again.

vCash
    I wasn't arguing your list, you've pretty much named the contenders for the bench...it's just that I don't think all of those names are as good as you do! Beale's a no hoper, Cooper is even less predictable, Lealiifano, I haven't seen enough of to make much of a judgement, so I'll not say anything. For me Barnes is the only backup who has much of a chance. In a pinch I'd put Leliifano there but only if one of the two only real choices are hurt. I think in the absence of Gits I'd be looking at one of the backup S14 names, Jimmy should be fit by then, and has certainly been an able 5/8th at S14 level, pushing Gits to 12 when he's fit....why not him? Daruda is playing a pretty nice Second five role under Gits at the Force, what about him? I don't really know too much about the fringe players from other franchises, but I can't see that they'd be much worse off using them.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I wasn't arguing your list, you've pretty much named the contenders for the bench...it's just that I don't think all of those names are as good as you do! Beale's a no hoper, Cooper is even less predictable, Lealiifano, I haven't seen enough of to make much of a judgement, so I'll not say anything. For me Barnes is the only backup who has much of a chance. In a pinch I'd put Leliifano there but only if one of the two only real choices are hurt. I think in the absence of Gits I'd be looking at one of the backup S14 names, Jimmy should be fit by then, and has certainly been an able 5/8th at S14 level, pushing Gits to 12 when he's fit....why not him? Daruda is playing a pretty nice Second five role under Gits at the Force, what about him? I don't really know too much about the fringe players from other franchises, but I can't see that they'd be much worse off using them.
    They werent fringe players that i mentioned.

well the only non starting player i mentioned was quade cooper, yet he started last weekend and will be the starting 5/8 in the next few games for the reds from what the coach has said.

Daruda hasnt being a regular starting 5/8 at S14 level, one of the small prerequisites of being a wallaby 5/8, and unless jimmy gets some decent game time up in the second half of the season i dont think he would be considered either.

vCash
    Being a starting player in an underperforming team doesn't make you better then a bench player in a very good team...

vCash
    last time i checked the force have only won 1 more match then the reds and brumbies and same amount as the tahs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    last time i checked the force have only won 1 more match then the reds and brumbies and same amount as the tahs.
    And look at the different teams they have played....3 games in South Africa, one against the Sharks, a close loss against the Saders plus a win against the Blues in New Zealand...I think the hardest any of the Aussie teams have come up against was the walloping the Brumbies recieved against the Saders....

vCash
    Well apart from the Bulls this weekend BLR, but I've been singing that song ALL SEASON!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Well apart from the Bulls this weekend BLR, but I've been singing that song ALL SEASON!
    Bulls aren't the team they used to be, Stormers are probably better then the Bulls right about now, despite what happened in round 1...