Thread: Oaks grind past Portugal

vCash

Oaks grind past Portugal

Oaks grind past Portugal

From correspondents in Toulouse, France
    September 26, 2007

ROMANIA ground out a slogging 14-10 win over Portugal to record a first Rugby World Cup Pool C victory in Toulouse, France, today.

The Romanians fought back from a 7-0 half-time deficit to overpower Los Lobos through their superior forward pack, scoring two pushover tries to deny the tournament newcomers a prestigious win.

Romania manager Robert Antonin said he was delighted for the players to have got a win, having pushed Six Nations side Italy all the way in a 24-18 defeat earlier in the tournament.

"I am so happy with the result," the Frenchman said. "At half-time, I told the players not to panic and that the way to get back in the game was to retain the ball and deprive the Portuguese of possession."

For Portugal coach Tomas Morais, it was a case of being proud of his amateur side while regretting the match hadn't come earlier. "Our game was good but not perfect," Morais said. "(Romania) played a tactically savvy game and we showed we had progressed. If this had bee the first match and not the last one, we would have won it.

"This type of match prooves that if one reduces the number of teams at the World Cup, it will be difficult for the minnows to raise their level."

For Portugal's tryscorer Joaquim Ferreira, there was one message he would transfer to his players - and that was to draw on their experiences at their first Rugby World Cup. "Yes I think we will be stronger next time," Ferreira. "We must be."

Portugal, playing its first Rugby World Cup, seemed to be on track for an upset after hooker Joaquim Ferreira scored a converted try in the 18th minute. But Romania, the world No.15, took control of the second half through their heavier forwards, wearing down the Portuguese resistance to record a dour victory.

Romania monopolised territory and possession in the second term, keeping the ball in the forwards to secure victory, although Portugal came away with a hard-fought bonus point for finishing within seven points.

Romania levelled in the 63rd minute off a lineout from which the Oaks forwards drove towards the Portuguese line. Replacement prop Marius Tincu touched down to end his side's 149-minute run without scoring a point.

Portugal edged back in front with a penalty by replacement fly-half Goncalo Malheiro, but Romania finally hit the front with a try by flanker Florin Corodeanu eight minutes from time.

Scrum-half Valentin Calafeteanu's conversion left Portugal needing a try to win. Romania has now won five matches in Rugby World Cup history, previously beating Zimbabwe 21-20 in 1987, Fiji 17-15 in 1991, the US 27-25 in 1999 and Namibia 37-7 in 2003.

Agence France-Presse

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    For me the Portuguese deserve a standing ovation as they have epitomised all that is good about our great game. Well done boys you showed great character, courage, skill and fantastic sportsmanship. Surely their contribution to this world cup will reinforce the case for keeping the, so called, minnows in the cup.

Just happy to be here

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    Good competition all round as far as I;m concerned.

Portugal, many salutations - they worked hard and played on the biggest stage for Rugby.

Romania, another good outing. BTW, I still recall when the expansion of the 5n was talked about and it was a toss between Italy and Romania. Theres still hope for them yet.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The EnForcer
    For me the Portuguese deserve a standing ovation as they have epitomised all that is good about our great game. Well done boys you showed great character, courage, skill and fantastic sportsmanship. Surely their contribution to this world cup will reinforce the case for keeping the, so called, minnows in the cup.

I will long remember the thrill of each of their scores against the All Blacks...even the kicks!!!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.