Thread: Valentine sets his heart on regaining Test selection

vCash

Post Valentine sets his heart on regaining Test selection

Valentine sets his heart on regaining Test selection
    Rupert Guinness | March 4, 2009

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...842412543.html

WESTERN FORCE halfback Josh Valentine has come close to being lost in the wilderness on more than one occasion in the seven years he has been playing Super rugby.

He might have 53 Super caps to his name and four as a Wallaby - the latter earned as far back as 2006. But his has been a stop-start career, stalled by injury and limited playing opportunities.

However, that has not stopped the 26-year-old from believing that his best years might be just about to start.

"Footy has turned around a little for me," Valentine said yesterday before he trained with the Force at Latham Park in South Coogee in preparation for their game against the Chiefs in Hamilton on Friday. "I am running with the opportunity I have been given and hopefully will turn it round to something special."

That "something special" includes playing in a winning Force side and a dream recall to the Wallabies. Valentine says the latter "is definitely in the back of my mind" and he views the position as being wide open. He says he can understand how the experience of dealing with the uncertainty in his career could make him a better player.

"What comes with that is understanding the game a little bit better, instead of just playing more on instinct, which you sort of do when you are young," Valentine said. "You play more for the team than individually. The way things are turning out, there are lots of opportunities for anyone to make the No.9 jersey for the Wallabies."

His words must reassure Wallabies coach Robbie Deans, who describes this season's selections at this stage as a blank canvas. The halfback position is perhaps the most open of them all.

Deans does not judge on the past, but on present form. However, Valentine's ability to fight back from adversity could add some weight to his case for a return to the Wallabies.

Born in Singleton, NSW, he made his Super debut in 2003 for the Reds and played 38 games for Queensland despite missing a year with a knee injury in 2005, only to break into the Wallabies in 2006 against England. However, Valentine hit another stumbling block after joining the Waratahs in 2007 as the back-up to No.9 Chris Whitaker. As Whitaker left to play overseas, Luke Burgess emerged to become NSW's starting halfback, with Brett Sheehan securing the back-up slot.

Valentine said he was told the selection battle was always close between the three NSW halves, but that only added to the frustration he felt when Burgess and Sheehan were picked for the Wallabies last year when Deans selected 13 rookie Test players.

"That inspired me to work harder," he said. "Hopefully the results will show in Super 14."

So far, the results are showing.

He has worn the Force's No.9 in their past two games and has impressed, especially in their victory over the Brumbies in Canberra last Saturday, which led to his naming in the Herald's Australian team of the week.

His ball service and reading of the game were sharp, with his back line leaving the Brumbies rattled, despite limited possession. That Valentine is forging a strong combination with Matt Giteau at No.10 was also clear.

Valentine is also off contract at the end of the year and indicated yesterday the futures of in-demand teammates Drew Mitchell and James O'Connor would have a large bearing on whether he re-signed with the Force. As for whether he has made any progress on Burgess and Sheehan, that will be clear in round 10 when the Waratahs and Force meet in Sydney on April 18. For now, they all have other challenges to overcome.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Well, it is all in front of all of them. Someone needs to grab the scrumhalf position by the throat this year.

vCash
    a decent article until the last paragraph.

"rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated" said the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    The way I see it if he isn't good enough for the Wallabies he is going to head off to the UK/France. If he makes the Wallabies he'll stay in Australia but with Will Genia, Ben Lucas, Sheehan, Burgess, Josh Holmes and Pat Phibbs at the other provinces I doubt they'll be screaming to sign him.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    If he keeps playing the way he did on Saturday, he's in with a very good chance.

Go The Force!

vCash
    He had a fantastic game last Satuday, it was like having an extra loosie on the pitch. He was everywhere and being GOOD everywhere! You're right FB, if he keeps that up then a gold number 9 jumper is looking good for him!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    and if he gets the gold jumper, the other provinces will definately be interested

C'mon the

vCash
    his been playing pretty decent, although Genia, Sheehan(as much as i hate to say it) and Burgess i think have been playing better.

vCash
    Valentine's a good signing by the force and I think is a chance to make the broader squad... Rember this year will bea little different with no Australia A so heir will be no guys stepping through that gateway iun 2009... Anyway he is a good addition to the Force, he just had a bad injury run at the Tahs and found it hard to get back in the squad when Link was under siege by the Sydney press to keep his job...