Tahs will use clause to keep Vickerman
Bret Harris | May 08, 2008 Tahs will use clause to keep Vickerman | The Australian

THE Waratahs will consider seeking an exemption from the ARU's rule on third-party sponsorships in an attempt to persuade Wallabies second-rower Dan Vickerman to change his mind about playing overseas.

Vickerman announced at the start of the Super 14 season that he would leave Australia at the end of the year to play club rugby in the UK and study at Cambridge University.

Despite strong speculation that Vickerman has already agreed to play for English club Harlequins, the Waratahs are hoping he will reconsider his decision to go offshore.

When winger Lote Tuqiri re-signed with the Waratahs two years ago, the ARU relaxed its laws to allow the Waratahs to secure a third-party sponsorship with Vodafone, which helped to prevent him returning to rugby league.

At the time the ARU said the exemption for Tuqiri was a one-off.

But asked whether the Waratahs would seek a similar deal for Vickerman, NSW Rugby chairman Arvid Petersen said: "If that was important to retain him, yes.

"If it were critical to retaining him, we would definitely get involved. I think Dan Vickerman is a world XV player. He's that good. As well as that he is an incredible on-field leader.

"I'm hopeful that if we have a successful finish to this campaign, we can convince him to stay and continue to be part of the Waratahs and the Wallabies.

"He would be a terrible loss to Australian rugby."

It is understood the difference between what the ARU offered Vickerman and what he could earn overseas was only $150,000 a year.

Asked whether Vickerman had been undervalued in his original negotiations with the ARU, Petersen said: "I think that was probably ... I think it's a fair comment."

But the ARU may not have to waive its rule on third-party agreements to improve its offer to Vickerman.

The impending departures of Wallabies number eight David Lyons (Llanelli Scarlets) and prop Rodney Blake (Bayonne), and the retirement of flanker David Croft, will save the ARU hundreds of thousands of dollars, which it could reinvest in Vickerman.

Meanwhile, Petersen has confirmed that former Wallabies attack coach Scott Johnson is on the NSWRU's short list for the Waratahs head coaching position, although they are still not sure whether he is available.

It is understood the Waratahs have offered Johnson the job, but he has already agreed to coach the American Eagles for the next four years.

While Johnson has indicated his intention to honour his commitment to the US, it is believed "complicating factors" may prevent him from taking up the role.

"That is still to be determined," Petersen said of Johnson's availability. "He has got an agreement with Rugby USA and I think it would be no secret that he is somebody who is very much in the final group."

Eastwood coach Chris Hickey and Waratahs defence coach Les Kiss are also on the short list, but it is understood they are also being considered for assistant coaching roles.

Petersen said the NSWRU had deferred making a decision on the new coach until the end of the month so constant media speculation would not disrupt the Waratahs' campaign to reach the semi-finals. But the delay was also linked to the uncertainty about Johnson's availability.

"It's not the sole reason," Petersen said. "We don't want to be rushed with the appointment."

If the Waratahs failed to secure their preferred candidate, Petersen did not rule out looking at a foreign coach.

"No, I don't think it would be out of the question," he said.

Meanwhile, Matt Carraro is set to start on the wing for the Waratahs against the Stormers in the crucial game in Cape Town on Saturday. In this event, winger Lachlan Turner is likely to move to fullback with Sam Norton-Knight dropping to the bench.