Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Eagles reckon they are "homeless"

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Eagles reckon they are "homeless"

• WHILE WA will finally get a new sporting venue capable of holding world-class events, West Coast is now a club in need of a new home.
    Premier Alan Carpenter confirmed yesterday that a $1.1 billion, 60,000-seat stadium would be built by 2016 at Kitchener Park - adjacent to Subiaco Oval - finally resolving the long-running debate about where to locate it.
    Negotiations between the government and the WA Football Commission, which manages Subiaco Oval and favoured a refurbishment of the 43,000-seat ground, were at an impasse until AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou recently persuaded the state's football bosses to accept a move.

While resolving that dispute opened the path for the announcement - with the venue to host football games from 2014 at an initial seating capacity of just 40,000 - the stadium's management is likely to be an ongoing issue, as will housingf the Eagles.

The Eagles will continue to use Subiaco Oval for training and matches until it's demolished in five or six years.

The Eagles were reluctant to discuss the announcement.

"We won't react to it just yet," a club spokesman said.

"But essentially we are delighted about the decision and believe it is an exciting step forward for football in this state, and for many thousands of fans."

WAFC chief executive Wayne Bradshaw confirmed it was likely West Coast would be forced to find a new home for both its administration and training.

But Bradshaw told Perth radio the WAFC had reached an agreement with the government when it gave its support to the new stadium that will ensure West Coast, which announced a massive profit of $3.87m for 2007 after costs, is looked after.

"The Eagles would be offered the best of a world-class facility," Bradshaw said.

"We don't know (what that will be), but it is absolutely imperative we maintain the success of our two AFL clubs."

West Coast has reached saturation point in terms of membership at Subiaco Oval, with the house-full sign going up on virtually all its home games.

The greater capacity at the Kitchener Park Stadium will ensure further growth in both membership and match-day attendance for West Coast, with the Fremantle Dockers also likely to benefit given the rapid expansion of their supporter base.

It was a point acknowledged by Demetriou, who is in Dubai for tonight's season-opening NAB Cup game between Collingwood and Adelaide.

"One of our key objectives is to maximise attendances at AFL matches and provide world-class facilities for all Australian football supporters and the premier's announcement will make this possible," Demetriou said.

Fremantle president Rick Hart also welcomed the move but said it was important football maintained a dominant presence at the new stadium.

"It is critical that Fremantle, as an anchor tenant, has a significant involvement in this process and a strong presence at the new stadium," Hart said.

Bradshaw also said AFL would fight to maintain its dominance of a market that includes Super 14 rugby union side Western Force and A-League team Perth Glory.

"There will be mechanisms put in place to protect football," he said.

"There will be no-one riding on our back and it will be up to the other sports (to ensure their own success)."

But Carpenter signalled that AFL may not hold its power base of previous years in announcing his government will promote the new stadium as a key vehicle if Australia is successful in its bid for the 2018 soccer World Cup.

Rugby WA chairman Geoff Stooke said the new stadium would allow the body to push to host Tests, with the Bledisloe Cup a particular goal.

"Certainly in our discussions with the ARU, they have said, 'you get the stadium, you will get the game'," Stooke said.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    The weagles should establish their new training base in Northbridge - as so many of their players spent so much time there.

vCash
    Words cannot express how badly I feel for those poor homeless Weagles *sniff*

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    [LIST]

1. The Eagles will continue to use Subiaco Oval for training and matches until it's demolished in five or six years.

2. But Bradshaw told Perth radio the WAFC had reached an agreement with the government when it gave its support to the new stadium that will ensure West Coast, which announced a massive profit of $3.87m for 2007 after costs, is looked after.

"The Eagles would be offered the best of a world-class facility," Bradshaw said.

Bradshaw also said AFL would fight to maintain its dominance of a market that includes Super 14 rugby union side Western Force and A-League team Perth Glory.

"There will be no-one riding on our back and it will be up to the other sports (to ensure their own success)."
    Subi demolished in 6-7 years and Kitchener Park won't be finished for 9

Translation: AFL up and running ASAP then a bit of lip service with movable seating for a few years before deciding it won't work, QED and too bad RugbyWA.

Translation:AFL is happy to ride on the taxpayers back for new training facilities etc., but nobody else should get a leg up and if it looks they might we'll use our influence to try and scuttle that.

vCash
    Weagles wouldn't be the first bunch of druggies tossed out on their ass would they? Maybe they should have a little chat to homeswest and DSS, they're used to bludgeing on the taxpayer!

Welcome to the real world wankers!

C'mon the

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    man I hate AFL soo much

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    *sabotages the freo membership my sister was trying to get dad to buy*

vCash
    I'm betting you're crying yourself to sleep aren't you jono!

C'mon the

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    What does he mean by will???
    Seems to me those mechanisms are well and truly in place and rolling

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    man I hate AFL soo much
    ditto from me.

vCash

DAMN IT ALL TO HELL

Oh it does me no good to hear the poor Weagles are homeless. Oh no sorry it does me good!!!!!!!!!

Is there any truth to the rumour that MES is to be used as a temporary stadium for the WF during the construction of the "eye sore"?? I have heard it is, but it is only hearsay.

I vote - GIVE US A RECTANGLE STADIUM!!!!!!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Unnamed Sources have confirmed this could be an option

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    WF have been homeless for years, MES has got to be the only sensible option left, but i read somewhere that the millions the government pledged to the force at their time of bidding for the S14 franchise has been swallowed up by funding for thew new stadium.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I'm betting you're crying yourself to sleep aren't you jono!
    oh i'm gutted, cant you tell

heres hoping we stay at MES!

vCash
    Eagles homeless, i couldnt really care less. I'm sick of the way they dominate the sports news in this state (in a 2 AFL team city) Most of their players are assholes apparently. I could give a s**t if they had to play at some useless run down piece of crap stadium. Oh wait..........................don't they already hahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    *sabotages the freo membership my sister was trying to get dad to buy*
    Just tell her to hang around and wait unitll 2014/2016, that wil brighten her mood

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast