Thread: Force silence critics but won't dwell on grand slam with finals at stake

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Force silence critics but won't dwell on grand slam with finals at stake

Rupert Guinness

April 19, 2009 - 11:48PM

THEY have been maligned, investigated and made to answer for a number of on- and off-field issues since their inception in 2006. But the time has come for the Western Force to warrant some credit.

That was the message from their foundation coach John Mitchell, himself having been implicated in controversy, after their 15-14 win over the Waratahs at Sydney Football Stadium on Saturday.

Their victory secured a grand slam over Australian sides this season. And while Mitchell and captain Nathan Sharpe were hardly boasting about the feat - which kept their Super 14 finals hopes alive - the former All Blacks coach used it to remind that for all the Force's woes, there have been unrecognised positives.

"Clearly, there has been a lot of focus on some of the negatives throughout our growth," Mitchell said. "But I think it is important to say that we are doing some great things for Australian rugby, and we are ? a part of the rugby family.

"I guess, being the newest club ? we will have to continue to earn respect between the white lines. As long as people continue to do that, with the way we play - and we are very proactive in the way we play - people will continue to support us."

The Force, ninth on the ladder on 23 points and six out of the top four, realise they will probably need to win all of their remaining games to sneak into the finals.

That includes games against the improving Lions (11th) in Perth on Friday, followed by the Bulls (3rd) in Pretoria, the Stormers (12th) in Cape Town and the Highlanders (10th) back home in round 14.

With so much at stake, Sharpe was only too willing to shelve celebrations for his side's unprecedented run of wins against the Brumbies, Reds and Waratahs.

"We are still mathematically alive, so until we are mathematically dead in the race we won't dwell on that at all," Sharpe said. "Mathematically, we are still a chance [of qualifying], and we are playing some good football. Aside from that [last] 10 minutes against the Hurricanes [in round nine], the last few weeks have been pretty good."

Mitchell said he felt the Force's attacking style should boost their chances of winning and scoring the tries needed to earn the bonus points to sneak through the log-jam and qualify for the knockout rounds.

However, he agreed there was every likelihood that the fate of his team - if not, that of several other teams - could be determined by the inconsistencies of the referees, such as James Leckie, whose control of Saturday's game between the Waratahs and the Force earned the derision of both sides.

Asked if a team's destiny could be determined by the referee, Mitchell said: "I think they always will [be]? but clearly we are an attack-focused team ? We have the ability to score four tries in every game the way we are playing at the moment.
    "If the breakdown is dealt with clearly and we are allowed to get good ball, we will continue to stress sides."

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/spor...0419-abj1.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Rupert Guinness

THEY have been maligned, investigated and made to answer for a number of on- and off-field issues since their inception in 2006. But the time has come for the Western Force to warrant some credit.

At long last!!!!!!!!

I think we have now earned it, the credit that is

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    NEWSFLASH - Humble pies are the fastest selling food item in the SMH cafeteria.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Giving credit to the Force must be easier than saying the Tahs are crap

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    I never thought I would have seen the day...almost brings a tear to the eye...

coz Stone Cold says so

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Rupert Guinness

That was the message from their foundation coach John Mitchell, himself having been implicated in controversy, after their 15-14 win over the Waratahs at Sydney Football Stadium on Saturday.

I don't want to be a party pooper, but SMH writer Rupert Guiness never said the Force warrant some credit.

Read the second paragraph.

Once again we have to blow our own trumpet.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Awww I thought they'd finally said something nice.

I'm glad they won't dwell on the Tahs but they can't rush ahead to the SA tour either! The Lions have improved greatly but I think we can take them if we bring out BRAINS to the game!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry