Thread: Preview: Blues v Brumbies

vCash

Arrow Preview: Blues v Brumbies

VENUE & TIME: Eden Park, Auckland, Friday March 19, 19.35 NZT.
    HEAD TO HEAD: Played 16 – Blues 9, Brumbies 7.
    LAST TIME: May 9, 2009 (Canberra) – Brumbies 37-15 Blues.
    LAST TIME AT VENUE: April 12, 2008 – Blues 11-16 Brumbies.
    MATCH ODDS: Blues $1.62, Brumbies $2.30.

WALKING WOUNDED: Luke McAlister's return to the Blues has been delayed by a broken nose suffered in a club match over the weekend. However, the Blues had better news on other injury fronts with backs Isaia Toeava, George Pisi and Anthony Tuitavake and loose forward Chris Lowrey all recovering nicely from their various problems. Toeava makes the starting line-up this week and the others aren't far away from consideration. Stirling Mortlock was ruled out with a minor neck injury; his absence is more precautionary than anything else and he should be back shortly.

FORM:

PAST FIVE Blues:
    Round 1: Lost to Hurricanes 22-34
    Round 2: Beat Highlanders 19-15
    Round 3: Beat Reds 27-18
    Round 4: Lost to Crusaders 20-33
    Round 5: Bye

PAST FIVE Brumbies:
    Round 1: Beat Force 24-15
    Round 2: Lost to Bulls 32-50
    Round 3: Beat Stormers 19-17
    Round 4: Beat Lions 23-14
    Round 5: Beat Sharks 24-22

The Blues are promising to have a reasonable season but have already dropped a couple of games to other contenders and face a difficult task this weekend against a Brumbies side that's winning without notching up many style points. Both the Hurricanes and Crusaders have beaten the Blues by applying constant pressure, reducing errors and taking whatever chances are left lying around – exactly how the Brumbies will play it. The Blues did the same to the Reds in dreadful conditions, so they can win tough games, but the home team probably cannot afford to lose this one. The Brumbies have put together a sound start but are not tearing the competition up – ironically, they posted their highest score in the one match they've lost. The Australians have got by with a very sound defence (only eight tries conceded in five matches), good ball retention, the ability to apply pressure for 80 minutes and accurate goal-kicking.

WHO'S HOT: Keven Mealamu makes his 100th appearance for the Blues this week – the first man to reach that milestone – and that should provide ample motivation for his team. His example around the field deserves the reward of a complete performance from the troops in this match. Alby Mathewson has proved a valuable acquisition with his sharp running and good general play but the backline is yet to click; when it does Rudi Wulf will benefit from some decent possession. Matt Giteau will obviously be a key man in the Brumbies lineup and he's gradually working into form in general play while his kicking (93 percent) could hardly be better. Ben Alexander scored a couple of one-metre tries last week on the back of concerted phase play in the 22; the Brumbies don't make as many errors near the line as most teams and this is something the Blues have to watch for. George Smith is having his usual good season but perhaps the home defence will have to keep a closer eye on brother Tyrone, who is having a breakthrough year in midfield.

WE THINK: This will be the toughest match of the weekend and one could make a case for either team. If the Blues have the patience and discipline to counter the Brumbies sequence play without giving up penalties the home team should get the points; we're going to stick our necks out and say they can, but we don't expect the margin to be only than about five points and don't expect to see many tries.

TEAMS:

Blues: 1.Tony Woodcock, 2.Keven Mealamu (captain), 3.John Afoa, 4.Kurtis Haiu, 5.Anthony Boric, 6.Jerome Kaino, 7.Serge Lilo, 8.Viliame Ma'afu, 9.Alby Mathewson, 10.Stephen Brett, 11.Rudi Wulf, 12.Benson Stanley, 13.Rene Ranger, 14.Joe Rokocoko, 15.Isaia Toeava.

Reserves: 16.Tom McCartney, 17.Charlie Faumuina, 18.Filo Paulo, 19.Peter Saili, 20.Chris Smylie, 21.Daniel Kirkpatrick, 22. Paul Williams.

Brumbies: 1.Ben Alexander, 2.Stephen Moore, 3.Salesi Ma'afu, 4.Ben Hand, 5.Mark Chisholm, 6.Rocky Elsom, 7.George Smith, 8.Stephen Hoiles (captain), 9.Josh Valentine, 10.Matt Giteau, 11.Francis Fainifo, 12.Christian Lealiifano, 13. Tyrone Smith, 14.Pat McCabe, 15.Adam Ashley-Cooper.

Reserves: 16.Huia Edmonds, 17.Jerry Yanuyanutawa, 18.Justin Harrison, 19.Mitchell Chapman, 20. Patrick Phibbs, 21.Matt Toomua, 22.Andrew Smith.

REFEREE: Mark Lawrence (South Africa)

http://sportal.com.au/rugby-union-ma...s-87808/page/2

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    and what do you think Muddie ?

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Personally I reckon the Blues will be ordinary, I don't have much reason for that because they should be a bit of a powerhouse at home. The Brums will continue to fizzle and fart, not doing anything much of value outside the #8 It'll be a close one with neither team doing well. the Blues by less than seven (and only because they're at home) Kafer and Paul will rave about how Giteau's getting better for every run, but there will be more tries from pick n drive than through the hands.......and at least 1 f@ckin' stupid stuffed up cross kick from the golden boy!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone View Post
    and what do you think Muddie ?
    I went to the TAB and was pleasantly surprised at the odds I took the Brumbies between 1-12 for about $3.25-ish... In reality I think it will be close, the Blues have a had the week off and a few guys are returning from injury so their form could be questionable in the first 20 and last 20 minutes... Something like Brumbies 28 vs Blues 21...

Late retraction: As its dry in Auckland tonight Brumbies 38 v Blues 26

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    You guys are getting pumped. Suffering from the same inability to attack that the Force had when we played Giteau at 10.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Blues 36 Brumbies 27

61st minute

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Was 36-22 a moment ago with 4 tries in a row to the Blues.

vCash
    One of the commentators said the Blues trailed by 6 at half time?

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah 16-10 became 36-22 in a matter of minutes.

---------- Post added at 16:15 ---------- Previous post was at 16:08 ----------

36-34 with 3 minutes to go. This one is getting tight.

vCash
    Brumbies lose

Blues 39 def Gluesticks 34

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    oh dear
    such a pity

not

vCash
    bah bow... Sounds like it was a cracker of a game though
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    the Blues by less than seven (and only because they're at home)
    Thanks Gigs you rock! I took your advice over Muddies and tipped the Blues by 5 for a cool 20 points!

vCash
    yep brumbies lost the second half... goods news did pick a bonus point... Blue scored some nice tries and more worthy winners...

Possession was 50/50
    Brumbies missed more tackles
    Brumbies had many more mistakes…

In the last 15 minutes when the brumbies were behind we saw more intensity in their play and finally Giteau ran the ball more, which made them look a lot more dangerous. This was a positive turn to their play as they have been playing within themselves and not pushing themselves enough… Andrew Smith looked strong as did their bench who all came on early Ih the second half.. I was at a pub so I didn’t hear the commentary.. but I know you guys don’t respect that anyway… I’m looking forward to you all being as honest in the Forces review tomorrow night… GO the force…

A loss but some very pleasing signs in game development. I think a loss at this time in the season will do them good… Brumbies are still a strong chance for the semis…

Friend can take a good look at the team tonight some of the bench played some good rugby...

---------- Post added at 19:00 ---------- Previous post was at 18:55 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    You guys are getting pumped. Suffering from the same inability to attack that the Force had when we played Giteau at 10.
    You shouldn't blame Giteau for your lack of attack in 2007-9. When the force have only look worse since he departed. Take to your coach aside and ask him... thats his job james...