Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mortlock is free to be a Rebel: Fagan

vCash

Thumbs up Mortlock is free to be a Rebel: Fagan

February 23, 2010

BRUMBIES chief executive Andrew Fagan yesterday declared that the Super 14 powerhouse would not stand in the way of former Wallabies skipper Stirling Mortlock becoming a marquee signing for the Melbourne Rebels after domestic anti-poaching restrictions were relaxed by the Australian Rugby Union.

The ARU board yesterday announced that the Rebels and the four existing Australian Super rugby teams would be free from March 15 to sign and announce players recruited from domestic rivals.

The Rebels, which will enter the expanded Super 15 competition next year, had not been allowed to sign players contracted to Australia's four existing franchises before June 1, while Queensland, NSW, Brumbies and Western Force were able to re-sign their own players who were coming off contract.

Mortlock is reportedly among a group of players that head a hit list for the Rod Macqueen-led Rebels and Fagan said a move to Melbourne by the off-contract Mortlock, who is currently in South Africa with the Brumbies, ''could be a good fit'' for all parties.

''In terms of where Stirling's at in his career we appreciate he may present greater value to the Rebels than he does for us from both his perspective and that of the clubs, so if that's something he looks at doing I don't think we'll stand in his way,'' Fagan said.

''We'll have that chat with Stirling and see where his head's at and if that's the way he wishes to prolong his career in Australia then that's good and we'll have that discussion when he's back.''

Rebels chief executive Brian Waldron put to ARU chief executive John O'Neill last week that the restriction disadvantaged the Rebels' recruitment hopes, and subsequent ability to attract investors, who have been waiting to see the team that was assembled before committing.

Melbourne has so far only one player on its roster - former England five-eighth Danny Cipriani who was signed last week.

Waldron said yesterday he was pleased with the outcome.

''It''s been a good result,'' Waldron said. ''… I think March 15 is very fair. It gives existing provinces the next three weeks to work with the players who are already in their midst and they have under their control at the moment and it allows us from March through to February, 11 months, to get our model out there and to get the brand of the Rebels and the playing roster well and truly known to the Melbourne and wider community in order to raise the funds.''

The Rebels' wish-list reportedly includes Mortlock, Berrick Barnes, David Pocock, Peter Hynes and Benn Robinson and they have expressed interest in former NRL star Mark Gasnier.

Fagan said he was disappointed with the deadline change which would disrupt teams by contract talks with players early in the season.

http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-union...0222-ortj.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Sounds like he's finished at the Brumbies regardless, he'd get better money in Japan than what the underplayed talk of Fagan is suggesting in the Capital.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Stirling Mortlock has given great service to Brumbies over the past 10 years... He has earned the right to leave on his own terms with the best wishes of his team’s supporters. I wish him all the best and I’d like to see him stay in AUS but if he chooses another path that’s OK...

Brumbies have some young guns who will be ready, keep an eye on Pat McCabe this season…

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "His own terms" being, "You may as well go because we aren't going to pay you much from here on in old timer."
    You should go to Canberra and work with the spin doctors in politics mud, your talents are wasted.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Stirling Mortlock has given great service to Brumbies over the past 10 years... He has earned the right to leave on his own terms with the best wishes of his team’s supporters. I wish him all the best and I’d like to see him stay in AUS but if he chooses another path that’s OK...

Brumbies have some young guns who will be ready, keep an eye on Pat McCabe this season…
    Translation from Muddie 'I love all that is the Brumbies'-speak

Stirling is unlikely to be the Wallaby #13 this year so we're cutting him from the roster.....we don't know who his replacement is yeat...we'll be waiting for Robbie Deans to make a selection!

C'mon the

vCash
    I thought the Brumbies speak was respectful to Mortlock... You guys just are use to conflict...

There is no standout 13 in Australian rugby besides Mortlock... perhaps Digby if he fires again this season and his defense improves... AAC will be 15 until after the RWC...

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Hmmm, I wouldn't say there is a lack of respect but would have described what Fagan said as "tactful". As I would read it:

''In terms of where Stirling's at in his career we appreciate he may present greater value to the Rebels than he does for us from both his perspective and that of the clubs, so if that's something he looks at doing I don't think we'll stand in his way."
    = ''Cut it any way you like, Stirling is getting on. His accumulated experience and gravitas would certainly be a benefit in Melbourne and he'd probably have more opportunity to contribute himself, as opposed to here when we have so many other senior players. So if he wants to head, we're not likely to stop him."

"We'll have that chat with Stirling and see where his head's at and if that's the way he wishes to prolong his career in Australia then that's good and we'll have that discussion when he's back.''
    = "We'll have that chat with Stirling when he gets back and see where his head's at. If that's the way he wishes to prolong his career in Australia then that's good. If it turns out he wants to stay...well, I guess he can't take a hint and we'll have quite a different sort of discussion''

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I echo what you are saying about Mortlock mud, but don't try and spin it as being some altruistic gesture by the Brumbies because that is pure brumby shit.
    They are finished with him and have given him a polite and very public DCM.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Mortlock is a great player but based on what I saw this weekend I think the slide has started. At least the Brumbies are giving him a heads up about it. The man has seen some punishment in his rugby life, so maybe it is time to go earn big dolllars for a season or two and bow out gracefully.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    Brumbies resigned to Mortlock move

24 Feb, 2010 08:11 AM

The ACT Brumbies have been aware for a month of Stirling Mortlock's likely move to the Melbourne Rebels, and are happy to let the veteran go.

Mortlock informed Brumbies coach Andy Friend of the new club's interest in him in late January, when the side was returning from a trial match in Wellington against the Hurricanes.

Friend and club chief executive Andrew Fagan have since discussed the worthiness of offering Mortlock a new contract for 2011 but that is unlikely to eventuate.

Friend met Mortlock again in Cape Town yesterday and was adamant the 32-year-old would be a success at the new club.

''As far as I'm aware, it's still all just talk at this stage, there's nothing concrete, but from the impression I get, Stirling is definitely keen to explore that option of Melbourne and seeing exactly what is there for him,'' Friend said.

''We haven't made him a contract offer yet. It would be a possibility but we certainly wouldn't be able to offer him a long-term deal like Melbourne can and likely will.'' Mortlock is considering playing in Australia past next year's Rugby World Cup but the Brumbies would only be interested in him for one more season, if at all. Should he still be playing in 2012, he would turn 35 during the season. It remains unknown how much interest the ARU has in topping up his contract with a view to him playing for the Wallabies at the World Cup.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news...e/1759462.aspx

---------- Post added at 07:52 ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    I echo what you are saying about Mortlock mud, but don't try and spin it as being some altruistic gesture by the Brumbies because that is pure brumby shit.
    They are finished with him and have given him a polite and very public DCM.
    its media management Burgs...

As I said last night which was edited?...

Fagans words stand as professional and respectful to a senior player who represented the Brumbies for 10 years...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Horseshit.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Mud,

Just so you and everyone knows. If you flood the forum with inflammatory and personal attacks those posts will be removed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Mud,

Just so you and everyone knows. If you flood the forum with inflammatory and personal attacks those posts will be removed.
    I that rule for just me or everyone?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Think about it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    I that rule for just me or everyone?
    if the shoe fits.....

C'mon the