Thread: Folau in no rush to recommit to rugby

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Folau in no rush to recommit to rugby

Darren Walton,
    AAP
    Updated July 29, 2013, 11:59 am

Israel Folau says he'd love to remain at the NSW Waratahs in 2014 but is no rush to recommit to rugby union.

The code-hopping superstar on Monday refused to shed any new light on where, or which sport, he would play next year, insisting he was more intent on making a full recovery from a hamstring injury before entering Wallabies camp next month.

The Waratahs and the Australian Rugby Union have made no secret of their desire to keep Folau after his spectacular entrance to the 15-man game this year, but the 24-year-old former Australian rugby league international has also been linked to a return to the NRL with Canterbury.

"I'd love to be here next year," Folau said after the Waratahs announced Volvo as their new major sponsor on Monday.

"Obviously there's a lot of things that I've got to sort out off-field and my management team is doing a job with that.

"So there's no timeline to it, but hopefully we can get something done pretty soon."

Folau injured his hamstring in Australia's series-deciding third Test loss to the British and Irish Lions three weeks ago and is desperate to retain his starting spot for the Wallabies' Rugby Championship opener against the All Blacks in Sydney on August 17.

The backline ace was named in new Test coach Ewen McKenzie's initial 40-man Wallabies squad last week and is racing the clock to be fit for the All Blacks clash.

"Obviously he's shown some faith to pick me in that 40-man squad," Folau said.

"Look, I've really enjoyed it so far and that Lions series was a great experience for me.

"Right now I'm trying to get my hamstring right to try and make sure that I can give 100 per cent when I get into camp.

"It's very exciting."

Folau nominated the mateship and travel opportunities in rugby as two key factors that could keep him in the code.

"How close I've gotten with the coaching staff and the boys, and also the travel as well, getting to go to South Africa and all those different places and play rugby is awesome," he said.

"So that's probably the two main attractions for me at this stage. That's why I think I really enjoy it so much."

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...mmit-to-rugby/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    GAWNNN!

vCash
    Just increasing the value before he signs a one year for a squillion dollars elsewhere!

C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    Such a shame that this lad with so much natural ability to play both codes can't settle in one or the other.

He has shown he has undoubted talent in the 13 man game.
    What he has achieved in his short time in Union has been nothing short of a metoric rise and I would love to see what he could achieve if he committed to union.

When dealing with people like Folau and others who want to hold everyone to ransom and keep them on tender hooks will he or won't he I wish that all the professional clubs would have the last laugh and not sign him and relegate him to playing local rugby.

I freely admit I live in an idealistic dream world where people do the right thing by others because it's the right thing to do.

vCash
    Volvo - the wh*res of Australian Super Rugby...

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    it's a headline i am getting all to sick of reading .. i agree with PeterM.

What has your hamstring got to do with resigning ?? seriously!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    The media drumming up a nothing story

vCash
    they pander to the whims of Falou and his fickle minded nature, all the while guys committed to the code (like Cummins) are on the periphery practically begging to get some increase to their Wallaby/ARU top-ups.

Sure, he is a talent and would be a good name to re-sign, but not at the expense of others please!

vCash
    Could not agree with you more Marty! The ARU are a complete shower.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby