Thread: Jason Kelce calls out ‘stupid rule’ in NFL

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Jason Kelce calls out ‘stupid rule’ in NFL

“It’s a rule, but it’s a stupid rule, though.”
    Jason Kelce

By Kevin Harrish on May 27, 2024

The NFL obviously has a lot of rules in order to make sure the game is played safely, fairly, and consistently. But there is one rule that longtime center Jason Kelce is not all that fond of.

During the most recent episode of his New Heights podcast he does with his brother Travis, Jason Kelce made it clear that he does not think it should be against the rules for teams to deflate footballs to their liking, calling it a “stupid rule.”

“I don’t even think Tom [Brady] should have got in trouble for deflating footballs,” Jason Kelce said according to Lauren Campbell of MassLive.com. “I’m pro-deflating footballs. I’ll say it. I’ll say it. I am pro-deflating footballs. . . . He outsmarted people. Why the [heck] does it matter how much air is in that [thing]? If you’re throwing it and catching it, who the [heck] cares?

“We’re all mad because he had the common sense to [freaking] take a little air out so the receivers could catch the [freaking] thing? Why is that against the rules? You all could have taken the air out, too. You guys could have taken the air out, too. You just weren’t smart enough. So why am I getting penalized because you’re [freaking] dummies? It’s a rule, but it’s a stupid rule, though.”

Of course, this whole conversation stems from when Tom Brady was investigated several years ago for illegally deflating footballs to make them easier to throw. But it sounds like Kelce does not think he did anything wrong.

WOW...!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    He has a point. In the NFL (or at least it used to be the case) the balls weren't provided by the refs, each side provided the balls their offense played with. I think it was 9 balls in total, typically 7 of which were used for the offense, and 2 for kicking (kickers & punters want over-inflated balls (fnargh, fnargh!)). If the ball is turned over, the other side's offense gets to use their balls when they get on the field, so the only people who touch the balls are the centre, quarterback, running back and receivers, and all of them want a slightly under-deflated ball as it's easier to catch/hold. The rules on what pressure the ball is inflated to are completely arbitrary anyway, so why not widen the allowable range?

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I wasn't across the supply of balls issue, however, I am stumped on the logic of thinking it alright to alter the pressure once commenced.
    Given Home team supply, yes could see pre KO the Away team being able to select amongst those provided for approval.
    Really isn't any different to the Home side saying, "These are our field dimensions" and the Away side saying, Nup, gunna bring those sidelines in a meter..."

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.