Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What Now For The Wallabies - A Hindsight/Future Look

vCash

What Now For The Wallabies - A Hindsight/Future Look

With the internationals over for 2008 what are your thoughts on what the wallabies ahve achieved and what maybe they shouldve done. Also would you like to see occur 2009 and onwards?

In hindsight Adam Ashley Cooper should not have been forced to play at fullback for as long as he did. He has always been a good winger and centre and the game against the baa baas showed that. Im not a fan of the mortlock/cross combination and i guess ashley 2 dads should at least be given a crack next time berrick goes down(which im sure he will). What follows is maybe people should only play in positions where their strengths are. tho gits has played brilliantly at fly half i still think he's better at 12. This gives us scope to develop guys like Barnes, cooper, beale and OC and realise the potential that everyone hype up about.
    I have great concerns about the halfback position. We perservered with cordingley and burgess too much with neither being very effective. After seeing the way SHeehan handled himself doing the basics very well and defending brilliantly around the rucks(even saving a try) i felt he should have been given more oppurtunities. The way i look at Burgess is unpredictable and often out of control. he had a great season with the tahs but he needs to mature a lot more at international level. Hopefully Josh Holmes or Valentine might actually live up to the hype next year cos we dont have many options. Ben Lucas is one i would also like to see if he gets the game time next year at the reds.

Im pretty happy with the way the forwards are coming along. I think we're biulding plenty of depth and the competition for spots is bringin the best out of em. Probably need to continue biulding depth with the props and finding alternatives to al baxter. He has improved a lot somewhat but only from a crap prop to a serviceable prop.

Probably need to biuld more leaders within the team apart from Mortlock. The team fell apart a bit when he came off. I would suggest handing the reigns over to Giteau or George Smith and start biudling the leadership skills of Horwill, and pocock.

I think next year guys like sharpey, waugh, tuquiri, baxter and possibly even mortlock should come to terms with playing lesser roles within the wallabies future.

We still have that mental breakdown that seems to occur now and then which to me sometimes comes across as laziness. this needs to be sorted and dont have any ideas.

Apart from that im happy with the direction Deans is taking us and hopefully next year it will pay off.

Thoughts anyone??

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    one player you didnt mention who deserves it is Richard Brown. A brilliant 2008 Super14 season ending with a fantastic 2008 Wallabies tour. there's no wonder he won the TWF award, and im sure he has plenty more to show in the coming years

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    Browndog goes without saying....if he stays healthy no 8 jersey is his. Palu seems to have more impact coming of the bench. I cant see anyone else competing tho with a full pre season of training behind him a fit leroy Houston might raise a few eyebrows. Hoilles has been fantastic at the brumbies but he seems to be in limbo with the wallabies. If his work offthe ball, inside the rucks and at the breakdowns improves then he may gain favour again.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Nice write Haji

I think what you wrote about Mortlock/Cross is right on the money - I have always believed that in the Centres you have a "crash" baller and a ball player. The Crash Baller does the tough yards up the middle and the ball player is a second 5/8th type player that has the ability to feed the ball to the winger or full back or chip kick for the team to run on to.

With Mortlock and Cross you have 2 excellent Crashballers but both can do little else.

Exile
    Port Macquarie

"Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place and I don’t care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done! Now if you know what you’re worth then go out and get what you’re worth. But ya gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain’t where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody! Cowards do that and that ain’t you! You’re better than that!" - Rocky Balboa

vCash
    Mortlock’s defence is outstanding so he filled to 12 role well when required. He plays better as a 13. Outstanding Captain, as Deans said Mortlock got younger this season.

I thought Ryan Cross had a great year and a good tour. He has learnt a great deal this year but sometimes plays a little to conservatively. I expect next year his confidence will be greater and we will all see a more creative Cross.

Stephen Moore had an outstanding tour and really has become a world-class hooker. TPN needs a good S14 season behind him.

Drew Mitchell’s energy and creativity when linked with Giteau was excellent. This combination will only get stronger. Looked more comfortable on the wing.

Ashley Cooper once again was the ultimate utility back. I would like to see him settle in a role. However he is to good not the have on the field. He will compete for the fullback spot at the Brumbies this coming season with Mark Gerard and Peter Betham. And fill in for Mortlock at 13 when required.

Burgess was inconsistent at best and I expect he will have a number of contenders for next years squad. Valentine, Holmes will push for the 9 jersey. Each key position has one important key skill and at halfback it’s the pass, Luke’s needs work.

Sharpe and Chisholm both stood up on the northern tour and set a message to the coaches that they are still of great value to the Wallabies.

Mumm, McMenimen and Brown all took their chances and we will see a much improved S14 season from all and see them back with the Wallabies in 2009.

Quade Cooper surprised and showed he can hold it together at international level so I would expect to see a cooler head Coops this S14 season with the Reds.

James O’Connor what can you say, amazing at 18 years taking on the world best at Wembley and being so confident. He has a big future if he stays focused on the job.

George Smith was the man of the tour…

As far as the future goes, I’m happy to leave it with Robbie Deans and Jim Williams they have proven with out question they know how to motivate the team and how to win matches.

Job well done, However next year we want to win back the Bledisloe cup...

vCash
    Shepherd on one leg is a better fullback option than AAC. He was the incumbent before his injury. Once again, the battle for the 15 jersey will be played out in Perth, although Shepherd is better at Fullback and Drew on the wing.

Burgess is more of a playmaker 9, like Weepu and Du Preez. The lack of a stable flyhalf at the waratahs has forced Burgess more into a 10 role, when he should be concentrated on distributing the ball like Gregan. Burgess doesn't need to run the plays with Gits outside him in 10. The example of this was Sheehans effort against the Baa-baas. Get quick ball from the ruck, have a sniping run when the opportunity presents.

vCash
    I was at that game when Shepherd broke his leg...its never pleasant to see a player receive an injury like that. I'm sure he’ll be in the mix next year.

Latham has left big shoes to fill. He currently stands as the second highest try scorer (behind David Campese) in Wallaby history with 40 international tries.

vCash
    Adam 2 dads is a tuffy. In the centres he's behind in the pecking order to mortlock and cross on the outside and behind barnesy on the inside. On the wing i think he's behind Mitchell and ioane, and when Shepherds fit i think his 3rd choice behind him and OC. he maybe destined to be cursed with the same brush as matt rogers.
    Where the brumbies play him next year will be crucial to his international aspirations. He really needs to play where his strengths are which is in the centres and it may look like tyrone smith may have to make way for AAC. Which is a shame cos smith had a fantastic rookie year this year.

vCash
    Great write up! Haji

I think a little change might be at hand. Sharpe improved towards the end of the season, his game against the poms was just unbelievable! However, James Horwill had an amazing season, that injury was so untimely. Chilsom has been great in Horwil's absense, so there is more competition. However, I reckon Tom Hockings will also, be looking at a gold jumper some time next year, which puts some pressure on the boys, for there are four of them all playing top-class rugby.

Our front row. I want Pek in the mix. Soon. Dunning is not playing amazing rugby and I'm afraid one fantastic game this season does not make Baxter consistant enough to be starting every single week. Kepu, well, I don't know much about this fella, but I like the sound of him. Good vibe, you could say. Don't quote me on it though. Benn Robinson has impressed too.

TPN hasn't really cut it, he doesn't throw terribly straight. At all. Wish Taipan had gone on tour. He's a legend! Moore has been fantastic, so I think he'll hang around for a fair while if he keeps playing at this level. Isn't their a special bloke up-and-coming at the brumbies?

Loosies- DAVID POCOCK. I think Waugh's bench spot is at risk. Mumm has made a great impression at 6, and I really like his game style. Very nice. I don't know about Dave and Smithy, reckon there will be a big battle for that 7 jumper, but Brownie should be keeping his 8 jumper. Cliffy to the bench??

I like Burgess, he looks like he has the goods to be a really great scrummie, but he was thrown in the deep end a little. Some more competition won't hurt him at all. Valentine should get some game time at the force, and could come up with some magic, Holmes seems pretty up-and-coming, so it should be good.

I'm excited about our 10-12 combo. I really really like the idea of JOC and Gits, but I don't see it. I would like Barnes at 10 though. Really really really would. With Gits outside him. Sigh. However, Cooper will be in the mix, as with Beale, and I guess Tahu might be there, if he hasn't crumbed his hammy. Sigh. Sounds like a promisingly competitive backline

Once Gits is leading out backline to Robbie's satisfaction, Mortlock will be kinda less vital to the team, and will be looking at a lot less game time. With the great WF man, Ryan Crossy stepping up, taking on the jellies.

I think my views on our wingers are rather well known by now. But I'll repeat them anyway! I reckon that the Drew Mitchell should be starting at 11 ahead of the reTAHed turkey with stupid dreadlocks stuck together with puke and his nose bashed in with my awesome Lote-bahing stick. Hehe. Hynes should be on the other wing, he's been really fantastic, with Digby/Turner battling it out for the bench spot. Um, I have no idea where to put AAC. Meh.

Most importantly of all... CAMERON SHEPARD FOR FULLBACK!!

... hope some of that makes sense...

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    You're only ever as good as your last game and based on the Barbarians game:

TPN had pretty decent throwing (did we lose any line-out ball?) and around the park- including the ankle and all hit on Jerry Collins was awesome. Being 10 years junior he is just too much more athletic and mobile than Tai.

David Pocock was an absolute star when he came on. I mean double tackles, tackles where he is straight up and stealing the ball. A number of good ball carries he plays like Richie McCaw only as someone about 8 years younger.

Quade Cooper is definitely coming along nicely. Needs work but is showing a number of the right signs.

AAC had his best game of the season. Constantly making ground and had Jerry not killed the ball had made the hard yards toward a try. Definitely worth giving him another run at 12. Plus if someone like JOC plays 15 thats your second ball player to take the pressure off Gits.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    fair point james but i think stevie moore will be hard to dislodge as starting hooker for at least next tri-nations.....................baring an injury of course!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slomo View Post
    fair point james but i think stevie moore will be hard to dislodge as starting hooker for at least next tri-nations.....................baring an injury of course!
    Ohh of course. Steve Moore is a great all round hooker. Just as you say though we need a back up for injuries. If Deans can get even close to an answer for the 3, 9 and 15 questions the Wallabies can return to world number 1. Thats what I find exciting about the upcoming Super 14. You've got Salesi Ma'afu and Dayna Edwards who are pretty exciting. Ben Lucas and Josh Holmes that will great to watch and who knows what will happen at 15.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    The OZ S14 fullbacks next year, Shepherd, Mitchell at the Force, AAC, Gerard, Betham Brumbies.

The Reds two untested Fullbacks a new guy from league Mark McLinden and a young gun Aidan Toua and the Tahs don't really have a dedicated fullback at this stage so perhaps Norton Knight or Lachie Turner. I think until the Reds and the Tahs start dedicating the role to one player (and the brumbies for that matter) Australian rugby will not have any real depth I the 15 jersey like the All Blacks.

Young James O'Connor is likely to be tested in a number of positions next season and wont settle as a fullback for the 2009 Wallabies squad...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Tahs don't really have a dedicated fullback at this stage so perhaps Norton Knight or Lachie Turner. I think until the Reds and the Tahs start dedicating the role to one player (and the brumbies for that matter)
    depends if the Tahs try to hide Kurtley in defense at the back again next season

vCash
    jargan I agree they did this last year but to have a strong counter attacking team they need a good fullback. Beale needs to do his job in defence...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast