Thread: Rugby looks to poach Wing

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Rugby looks to poach Wing

Rugby looks to poach Wing

By Peter Jenkins
    May 07, 2007 12:00

KANGAROOS star Craig Wing has emerged as the latest potential target for a Waratahs camp desperate to bolster its midfield stocks next season.

NSW Rugby Union chief executive Fraser Neill last night told The Daily Telegraph the franchise was "open to everything" after a dismal Super 14 campaign where the semi-finalists from 2006 finished the season just one place clear of the dreaded wooden spoon.

Wing is off-contract with NRL club the Roosters at the end of the season and sources have revealed there were informal talks between the player's management and the Australian Rugby Union two months ago.

While those discussions are thought to have stalled, the Waratahs have expressed an interest in meeting with Wing if he is genuine about a future in the 15-man game.

NSW have already secured one high-profile rugby league player for 2008, with Parramatta centre Timana Tahu heading to the franchise's Moore Park headquarters.

If they chase another in Wing, the ARU will need to rekindle its interest and come to the party with a contract top-up.

"You wouldn't discount it," Neill said when asked if Wing was an option for next season.

"If he showed interest you'd certainly have a chat. He's a quality footballer.

"What we don't want to get involved in is an auction where we end up being used as a stalking horse to drive up a player's salary."

An exceptional schoolboys player before turning to league, Wing would be an option for the inside centre role the Waratahs have struggled to fill this season.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    At the risk of upsetting Shasta....

We don't need more leaguies*, especially old ones.

*Exception of Greg Inglis... stay tuned

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    The Force should have a crack at him.

vCash
    The game is going down the plug hole, how about just one code free for all.
    SHOW ME THE MONEY

vCash
    unfair they cant have tahu and Wing. if he is intrested force should try to get him. he would be great he could play anywere in the backs.

Profile:

AKA: Wingy
    DOB: Dec 26, 1980
    Born: in Sydney
    Position: Hooker/Utility
    Height: 180cm
    Weight: 87kg
    Junior Club: Coogee Randwick Wombats

vCash
    Surely they could do better than Wing? He's a bit past it as League players go.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagerian
    At the risk of upsetting Shasta....

We don't need more leaguies*, especially old ones.

Exception of Greg Inglis... stay tuned
    You haven't upset me here Sage

I'd be upset if NSW got another top-up for a "leaguie" though. Wonder what the comparison between the 4 franchises would be on that little score?

Good exception too. I'd be surprised if there's any club in either code or even AFL for that matter that wouldn't want him. I don't think I've ever seen a more naturally gifted player - including Matt Giteau, Daniel Carter and Andrew Johns. He's not at their level yet of course. But boy what potential!!

vCash
    We don't need to be wasting more money on league imports, once again we look at short term options, rather than the long term option of grooming the talent we have and the talent coming through the junior ranks...
    This seems to be a really serious problem with the ARU/ Tahs, they are obsessed with the mungo's...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    Go frontrow, what does it say to our young juniors play league first then we will get selected for union. Confusion rules
    WHOOPS PROPS RULES

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I have no problem with League players coming across, so long as they do it like Schifcofske i.e back yourself without an ARU contract. Isn't it a coincidence - no guaranteed contract, no selection despite fullback being a position of concern.

To my mind, the ARU should butt out of the contracting process. I just can't help but feel that most of the converts to date have only swapped to get out from under the salary caps in League. There may be more committed to the cause now and relish the bigger stage, but I doubt that had much to do with the initial change. All converts should first have to get a S14 contract with absolutely no guarantees from the ARU. This would tend to favour younger players (who have less to lose), but would also mean that any established player making the jump would be fairly committed to the cause. If they then get selected for the Wallabies on merit, then fair enough. But Wallabies selection is the pinnacle of the sport in Australia and no-one should be guaranteed a damn thing. Anything else and you can't be surprised when players treat it as a job rather than an honour.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Well the Tahs do need a winger, that Lote was a waste of money so why not waste more on another mungo

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    We got one winger in Turner. Lote is getting relatively slow these days which is odd as speed is not something that is lost until after mid thirties I reckon ( using sprinters as a comparison). I would sign up Inglis in a heartbeat, that kid has supreme talent, hopefully he will remain injury free and then be able to be poached after his Melbourne contract expires.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu