Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Inglis knocked back rugby offer

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Inglis knocked back rugby offer

Inglis knocked back rugby offer

July 20, 2008 GREG Inglis, the man who carved up Mark Gasnier in State of Origin II this year, rejected an offer to play rugby union with Western Force because he feared he would become bored in the 15-man code.

"There's something about rugby union I just don't like. I don't know if it's because I get bored or you can't show your skill or what," Inglis said.

"No disrespect to them at the elite level. I'm sure it's a very tough game, but some people get bored from it.

"I understand some guys go because of the money.

"When the Western Force approached me, I just told them 'thanks but no thanks'. I didn't want to even consider it.

"I'm a league boy through and through. I grew up around league. My old man was league, my grandfather, my brothers, even my sister. It was just always about the game.

"So it runs in the family, it's part of my background and that's all I've ever wanted to play."

Inglis and Gasnier duelled in an exhilarating match-up in this year's Origin series.
    In the series opener, Gasnier collected the honours by setting up two tries down the Blues' right edge.

But in Origin II, Inglis returned serve, swatting away his Kangaroos Test team-mate with ease in a landslide Maroons victory.

Fans were robbed of a deciding duel when Gasnier was forced out of Origin III with a torn hamstring.

Even though Inglis has been named at five-eighth, the prospect of him crossing swords with Gasnier on Monday night when Melbourne meet St George Illawarra at Olympic Park is as enticing as ever.

Inglis has seen all the hype about Gasnier's $1million-a-season switch to French rugby union over the past week but doesn't believe the NRL should make an exception to keep the Dragons captain.

"I can see where Gaz is coming from but I don't think you should change the rules for special players," Inglis said.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23217,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    what...become bored in a 15 man code!!!!!

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    sif there is lack of skill in Union. what skill do u need for league?

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    exactly
    and the guys who converted to union from league are now in the wallabies squad..

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    Inglis is full of himself i think. Some people need to open their minds and assess their options

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    The mungos have no brains anyway so of course they wouldn't understand union.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by force addict View Post
    if there is lack of skill in Union. what skill do u need for league?
    Quote Originally Posted by lara93 View Post
    exactly
    and the guys who converted to union from league are now in the wallabies squad..
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    The mungos have no brains anyway so of course they wouldn't understand union.
    Lote, Ryan Cross, Timana Tahu, Berrick Barnes, Brett Sheehan, Matt Rogers, Wendell Sailor, Jason Robinson, Andy Farrell, Henry Paul, Brad Thorne.............

Boy those Rugby Union Coaches must like dumb players with no skills.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    If unions so boring why is our World cup watched by millions more people worldwide than the mungo world cup? and played by more countries? and has more than 3 competitive countries? and rules that allow for creative attack instead of having to give the ball away every 6th structured tackle? and doesn't need interchanges to reprogramme the players every 5 mins?

sounds like inglis is just pandering to the people who pay his token salary or spending to much time with 'dell ....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Lote, Ryan Cross, Timana Tahu, Berrick Barnes, Brett Sheehan, Matt Rogers, Wendell Sailor, Jason Robinson, Andy Farrell, Henry Paul, Brad Thorne.............

Boy those Rugby Union Coaches must like dumb players with no skills.

Sorry Shasta but you already know my opinion of league. Being born in South Wales Union is injected into your blood on the delivery table in hospital, it's a minor procedure that I can't remember at all.

It was a very dark day in Wales the day Jonathan Davies went to league and in some houses he has never been forgiven. Even when he came out here and played for the Bulldogs and Cowboys I didn't watch him once, traitor. At least he did come back and play Union for Cardiff again, even though they are Newports arch enemy.

When he did come back to Union none of his team mates would pass him the ball as they considered him a 'Traitor' for going North, thats Union for you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by welshrugbyfan View Post
    Sorry Shasta but you already know my opinion of league. Being born in South Wales Union is injected into your blood on the delivery table in hospital, it's a minor procedure that I can't remember at all.
    No need to apologise, watch what you like. I just like to take the piss when people rubbish top flight players just because they don't particularly like the code they played previous to Rugby. Even when their ability is evident after only a few matches at the game they play in Heaven. Sorry, but there you go.

t was a very dark day in Wales the day Jonathan Davies went to league and in some houses he has never been forgiven.
    A bit dramatic. Why single JD out for such ostracism? What about the other Taffies who played RL over the years.

Even when he came out here and played for the Bulldogs and Cowboys I didn't watch him once, traitor.
    I did. I'm a Bulldogs fan & he's a personal favourite. A genius at both codes.

At least he did come back and play Union for Cardiff again, even though they are Newports arch enemy. When he did come back to Union none of his team mates would pass him the ball as they considered him a 'Traitor' for going North, thats Union for you.
    Bloody childish if you ask me. Did they do the same to Iestyn Harris ( I know he was a mungo first but that didn't worry the selectors ) on his numerous cross code journeys for Wales? I doubt it. A genius player.

Last edited by shasta; 20-07-08 at 13:51.
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    He is a talent no doubt and I'll be curious to see how long he holds out, would hate to see these comments came back a-knocking. I'd speculate the Force offer at the time, was no where close to matching the top $$ we've seen being dangled around.

As a die-hard Rugby boy, I take no pleasure in seeing Rugby chase these league boys and in many ways miss the days gone by when, growing up in Kenya, you didn't hear or even care of the politics of Union v League. Back there, there is only one Rugby, the other was simply a very distant (and poor) relative that no one paid attention to.

vCash
    He is one of the best athletes I've seen on a football field - one of those people who would probably be good at most anything he tried. That said, I won't lose any sleep over him staying in league.

vCash
    So... a guy who doesn't play rugby, isn't going to play rugby. Okaaaaayyyyy.

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    Did I tell you I won't be playing for the Force next year?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    No need to apologise, watch what you like. I just like to take the piss when people rubbish top flight players just because they don't particularly like the code they played previous to Rugby. Even when their ability is evident after only a few matches at the game they play in Heaven. Sorry, but there you go.

A bit dramatic. Why single JD out for such ostracism? What about the other Taffies who played RL over the years.

I did. I'm a Bulldogs fan & he's a personal favourite. A genius at both codes.

Bloody childish if you ask me. Did they do the same to Iestyn Harris ( I know he was a mungo first but that didn't worry the selectors ) on his numerous cross code journeys for Wales? I doubt it. A genius player.

It was a dark day in Wales theres no dramatics in it. I guess Australians would feel the same if Gits suddenly lined up for a league team. You might like it personally but the Union die hards would feel how the Welsh did when Davies did it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast