Thread: One Man's View From the Buck Shaw Stadium

vCash

One Man's View From the Buck Shaw Stadium

It certainly won't go down in the annals of rugby as a classic. I've thought about this since Sunday afternoon and decided that I can't really decide between one of two view points: 1) In a game which neither side played particularly well, a plucky USA squad hung with a much more talented Irish squad - or 2) The USA missed a golden opportunity to take it to an Irish side, though much more talented, clearly out of sync.. I suppose a mixture of both is the best way to summarize the match. The Irish dominated the set pieces - their maul was unstoppable (responsible for 1 conventional and 1 penalty try) - All of us in Section 111, Row 2 at the Buck Shaw felt that the Irish let off the throttle a bit after their first try. For instance, the Irish opted for a lineout from which they did not maul from 5 meters out instead of either mauling in again or a 5 meter scrum which would have almost surely resulted in another try. Of the Irish forwards offensively, Rory Best and Mick O'Driscoll played particularly well. I suspect that Ireland wanted to work on attacking backline play, and with good reason. Fly Half Ian Keatley looked pretty tentative; to be fair none of the Irish backs passed or handled the ball well. (C'mon Darren Cave!) For the most part, they played well defensively, but weren't really pressed by the Americans until the final 20 minutes - The Irish gave away far too many penalties overall, and had USA Fly Half Mike Hercus been able to convert 3 very makeable penalty kicks (I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on the 4th) the game could have taken a much different tone. The US set pieces were very poor. At no point did we have a good scrum, and the lineouts were, to be blunt, awful. Losing 6 of 9 of their own lineouts pretty much tells you everything you need to know. However, almost in spite of their poor set piece play, the US forwards did some fine work at the point of contact, both offensively and defensively. They never counter-rucked with any viciousness, but offensively they put their pods together well and gradually got better in the ruck as the game progressed. Eddie O'Sullivan's influence is probably most evident in this respect. Defensively, to a man, the US tackling was outstanding. This was definitely a grind'em out Northern Hemisphere rugby match: USA 10 Ireland 27.
    Both sides probably walked away disappointed, but both sides have some reason to take heart. The Irish pack, even without their Lions, is simply fantastic. The USA, even without its three most talented players (Todd Clever, Z Ngwenya, and Paul Emerick) showed both doggedness and discipline. Some quick personal observations: Tony Buckley is one of the largest human beings I've ever seen! Ata Malifa may be a better choice at Fly Half for this US team - his presence energized the backs. Buck Shaw was not ready for 10,000+ rugby fans - Not enough choices for beer, food, or toilets on the north end! Emerald Green was more prevalent than Red White and Blue!! (I'd say 60-40) For that matter, Munster Red was well represented (saw a dozen or so) spotted 1 Leinster, 1 Connacht, and 1 Ulster Strip. Fresno RFC? Well, there were about 7-8 lurking...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    by and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth-george carlin:

Player
    vCash
    How the game going over there at the moment?

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    And TC while you are at it - Who the hell is Buck Shaw - and where the hell is his stadium?

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    How come Clever didn't play TC? His Lions duties were over weeks ago, I'd have thought. Injury, surgery?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    How come Clever didn't play TC? His Lions duties were over weeks ago, I'd have thought. Injury, surgery?
    Lions are playing the Lions tomorrow night!!

vCash
    Yep yerright. And Clever is on the bench for them.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Player
    vCash
    TC how do think the Eagles will go in the upcoming Churchill Cup.

vCash
    WC: The game is growing here, especially at the high school and college levels. Athletes are switching to rugby from other sports.. Fan interest has probably never been higher, so barring any great changes, I think that the USA could make some noise internationally in 10-15 years, sooner than that in 7s..As for this Churchill Cup, 2 wins would be a reach - I think 1 win is a more realistic goal..

---------- Post added at 18:07 ---------- Previous post was at 17:58 ----------

X: Okay, I had to look this one up: Buck Shaw was an American football coach at the collegiate and professional levels. His stadium is on the campus of Santa Clara University, which is, oddly enough, in Santa Clara, Ca. Santa Clara is basically suburban San Francisco. Gotta hand it to USA Rugby for getting a match featuring Ireland in the Bay area - There are now and always have been a lot of Irish expatriates around the Bay and it certainly showed on Sunday!!

by and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth-george carlin:

Player
    vCash
    TC

Just watching a replay of the game. They weren't overwhelmed. Plus they were missing 3 because of work commitments, two due to club reason ( Clever ) and other chose to play 7's. If they were there they may have been able to roll this Ireland side without it's Lion's tourists. Plus I recently watched the JWRT. There are a couple of impressive young U20's coming through. Your Left Wing, Fullback, 5/8 and Number 8 look like definite goers and your props have potential. all they need is the right development opportunities.