19. Lopeti Faifua
    20. Will Harris
    21. Michael Wells
    22. Issak Fines-Leleiwasa
    23. Sam Spink

Brumbies

1. Blake Schoupp (Gungahlin Eagles)
    2. Billy Pollard (Uni-Norths Owls)
    3. Allan Alaalatoa (C) (Uni-Norths Owls)
    4.Darcy Swain (Tuggeranong Vikings)
    5. Nick Frost (Queanbeyan Whites)
    6. Tom Hooper (Tuggeranong Vikings)
    7. Rory Scott (Canberra Royals)
    8. Rob Valetini (Wests Lions)
    9. Ryan Lonergan (Tuggeranong Vikings)
    10. Noah Lolesio (Tuggeranong Vikings)
    11. Corey Toole (Gungahlin Eagles)
    12. Tamati Tua (Queanbeyan Whites)
    13. Len Ikitau (Tuggeranong Vikings)
    14. Andy Muirhead (Canberra Royals)
    15. Tom Wright (Western Districts)

16. Connal McInerney (Canberra Royals)
    17. Harry Vella (Canberra Royals)
    18. Sosefo Kautai (Canberra Royals)
    19. Cadeyrn Neville (Uni-Norths Owls)
    20. Luke Reimer (Western Districts)
    21. Harrison Goddard (Queanbeyan Whites)
    22. Jack Debreczeni (Uni-Norths Owls)
    23. Ollie Sapsford (Uni-Norths Owls)

SRP finals permutations: Williams calls for ‘obsessed’ Force focus

Mon, May 27, 2024, 3:41 PM
    Ben Somerford

Western Force captain Jeremy Williams says the players will be “obsessed” this week as they chase a maiden Super Rugby Pacific finals berth.

The Force’s loss to the Queensland Reds on Saturday left destiny outside the WA club’s hands heading into the final round of the 2024 Super Rugby season.

Ahead of Round 15, four sides can still finish eighth and claim the last finals spot; Fijian Drua (currently eighth on 21 points), Force (ninth on 19 points), Crusaders (10th on 19 points) and Moana (11th on 18 points).

Put simply, to qualify for the finals, the Force must beat the ACT Brumbies at HBF Park on Saturday from 5:35pm WST and the eighth-placed Drua must lose to the Melbourne Rebels in Lautoka from 10:05am WST on Saturday.

The Crusaders and Moana Pasifika will face off at 3:05pm WST on Friday, making the scenario a bit more complicated if either secures a bonus-point win.

The Force are currently level on points with the Crusaders but ahead due to having more wins which is the first determining countback factor, followed by points difference from all matches, giving the WA side an edge over Moana.

But all that is irrelevant if the Force don’t keep up their end of the bargain and beat the Brumbies on Saturday night, which Williams said would be their obsession this week.

“We’re definitely going to keep playing like we’ve got a shot at the finals,” Williams said after Saturday night’s defeat.

“We’ll review this, we’ll have a good look in the mirror. We’ll take our learnings, then we’ll flush it.

“New week next week, new challenge. We’ve got to be obsessed and do everything we can this week to get the win at home.”

Tickets to the Force-Brumbies game are available via Ticketmaster, along with the Force’s Flexi Membership, with four tickets to the fixture for only $75.

The Round 15 game will be preceded by the Rendezvous Scarborough Challenge Cup final between Associates and Kalamunda from 3pm.

Gate 1 opens at 2:50pm, with all gates open at 4:05pm. View our Game Day Hub for more info.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Burgs; 29-05-24 at 13:09.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Player
    vCash
    Wonder if we will see any surprises in team this week, or the same standard team. Would love to see Pasitoa come off the bench.

A few questions for those in the know as news and injury updates have not been very forthcoming:

1. Are Coxon and Franklin injured or did we have to release them as they were just covering Hoopert and Rodda? If they got released would have been nice to see the club put out a statement as these guys were great when we needed them

2. What happened to Sam Carter? Injured still?

3. Why haven’t we seen Amone, Wagner or Moli all year? Amone has been playing for soaks most of the year so obviously just hasn’t been selected. Has Wagner been playing for UWA? Is Moli even playing anywhere?

4. Is Felix still injured - last update said he would be available before end of season.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Brumbies blocking out minor premiers discussions as Schoupp set to offset Slipper setback

Tue, May 28, 2024, 11:37 AM
    Nathan Williamson

The ACT Brumbies are refusing to let themselves daydream about a potential top-two finish as they keep focused on Saturday's clash with the Western Force.

The Brumbies sit third on the ladder, just three points from top spot Blues and second-placed Hurricanes.

Both Kiwi sides face top-six opposition whilst the Brumbies face a hungry Force side in Perth that could be fighting for their finals hopes.

However, the Brumbies are aware of how dangerous the Force are at home, going down 34-19 last May.

“All the boys are aware of it but we can’t really focus on it because we can only control how we play," winger Corey Toole said to reporters on their ladder position.

“We just need to win this weekend and then the rest will take care of itself."

Toole returned from an ankle injury during last week's win over the Melbourne Rebels in Canberra.

The 24-year-old feels refreshed as they push to improve on last year's semi-final appearance.

“It’s a lot more funner playing than watching the boys from the sidelines. The ankle is feeling really strong and the body is feeling good," Toole said.

“It wasn’t great being out and doing rehab but it freshened my body and mind up so I’m fully fit ready for finals.”

The Brumbies will travel to Perth without legendary prop James Slipper as he deals with a calf complaint.

Slipper will be racing the clock to be fit for the quarter-finals, however, this comes as fellow Wallaby Blake Schoupp prepares to make his return.

Schoupp suffered a shoulder injury late in the win over the Hurricanes last month.

“He’s been into his rehab so it’s really good to have him out there. He has so much energy, particularly around the scrum," fellow front-rower Billy Pollard said.

“It’s really good having guys like that who will lock it down or try and get a penalty out of it.

"...There’s a bit of experience but there are really good young players coming through and they’ve shown what they can do for us in the past so confident they can do a job for us.”

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Carter return among changes for Force's must-win Brumbies clash
    Wed, May 29, 2024, 11:57 AM
    BS
    by Ben Somerford

Wallabies lock Sam Carter will return to the Western Force starting XV for Saturday night’s Round 15 clash with the ACT Brumbies among a handful of changes for the must-win game at HBF Park.

Carter is added to the starting side having been out since Round 10 due to a hamstring injury. Force captain Jeremy Williams shuffles into the back row to start at blindside flanker, with 16-cap Wallaby Carter partnering Izack Rodda in the locks.

Max Burey will start at fly-half with Wallaby Ben Donaldson to miss due to a tight groin while front-rower Ryan Coxon also comes into the XV with Harry Hoopert unavailable due to a calf injury.

Ben Funnell comes into the 23 among the finishers with a 6-2 split, with Chase Tiatia out with a shoulder injury.

Hamish Stewart will start at inside-centre for his 100th Super Rugby Pacific game, while Argentine tighthead prop Santiago Medrano will also start for his 50th Force cap.

Kick-off for Saturday’s must-win game at HBF Park is at 5:35pm WST, with tickets available via Ticketmaster.

The round is themed Community Round, with a curtain-raiser between Associates and Kalamunda in the Rendezvous Scarborough Challenge Cup final from 3pm.

The Super Rugby Pacific game will be broadcast live on 9GEM and streamed on Stan Sport, with regular updates @WesternForce on social media.

Game details

Western Force v ACT Brumbies

HBF Park, Perth

Saturday 1 June, 5:35pm WST

Live on 9GEM and Stan Sport

Force team list

Starting XV: Ryan Coxon, Tom Horton, Santiago Medrano, Sam Carter, Izack Rodda, Jeremy Williams (c), Carlo Tizzano, Reed Prinsep, Nic White, Max Burey, Ronan Leahy, Hamish Stewart, Bayley Kuenzle, George Poolman, Kurtley Beale

Reserves: Ben Funnell, Marley Pearce, Tiaan Tauakipulu, Lopeti Faifua, Will Harris, Michael Wells, Issak Fines-Leleiwasa, Sam Spink

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Carter return among changes for Force's must-win Brumbies clash
    Wed, May 29, 2024, 11:57 AM
    BS
    by Ben Somerford

Wallabies lock Sam Carter will return to the Western Force starting XV for Saturday night’s Round 15 clash with the ACT Brumbies among a handful of changes for the must-win game at HBF Park.

Carter is added to the starting side having been out since Round 10 due to a hamstring injury. Force captain Jeremy Williams shuffles into the back row to start at blindside flanker, with 16-cap Wallaby Carter partnering Izack Rodda in the locks.

Max Burey will start at fly-half with Wallaby Ben Donaldson to miss due to a tight groin while front-rower Ryan Coxon also comes into the XV with Harry Hoopert unavailable due to a calf injury.

Ben Funnell comes into the 23 among the finishers with a 6-2 split, with Chase Tiatia out with a shoulder injury.

Hamish Stewart will start at inside-centre for his 100th Super Rugby Pacific game, while Argentine tighthead prop Santiago Medrano will also start for his 50th Force cap.

Kick-off for Saturday’s must-win game at HBF Park is at 5:35pm WST, with tickets available via Ticketmaster.

The round is themed Community Round, with a curtain-raiser between Associates and Kalamunda in the Rendezvous Scarborough Challenge Cup final from 3pm.

The Super Rugby Pacific game will be broadcast live on 9GEM and streamed on Stan Sport, with regular updates @WesternForce on social media.

Game details

Western Force v ACT Brumbies

HBF Park, Perth

Saturday 1 June, 5:35pm WST

Live on 9GEM and Stan Sport

Force team list

Starting XV: Ryan Coxon, Tom Horton, Santiago Medrano, Sam Carter, Izack Rodda, Jeremy Williams (c), Carlo Tizzano, Reed Prinsep, Nic White, Max Burey, Ronan Leahy, Hamish Stewart, Bayley Kuenzle, George Poolman, Kurtley Beale

Reserves: Ben Funnell, Marley Pearce, Tiaan Tauakipulu, Lopeti Faifua, Will Harris, Michael Wells, Issak Fines-Leleiwasa, Sam Spink

Some interesting changes there. I think this is our best second row and backrow combo given Will Harris hasn’t done much. Will miss Donaldson but gives Burey a chance to prove himself. Not sure why Spink is so out of favour, much better than the 2 wingers starting but possibly picking for the future

vCash
    I might be missing this one due to a state titles being run on the same day. Hope I can get back to Perth in time.

C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    Great to see Max Burey getting a shot …. he’s a talented player . I think Simon Cron is building a Stewart/ Kuenzle combo for the future . Happy to see Ronan Leahy given another start … some good lessons from last week . Cmon FORCE !

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Updated original post with both teams.

I think we have an on average parity from 1-9, 12, 13 & 15.

Our Wings will be seen as a weakness, leading to major pressure coming on our Centers to defend and make the Brumbies earn the right to exploit out wide.
    That said, both Wings have the ability to show a fine disregard for personal wellbeing in throwing themselves in harms way.
    Particularly Poolman is due to repay the faith that has been shown in him this season and is only the two man bench that might save him from an early hook if not performing.
    Leahy's recent Aus U20's exposure will serve him well defensively as that was 240 minutes at Inside Centre against some seriously large rampaging Kiwis, Pumas and Hairybacks.

Donaldson is a big "out", though apart from injury has played an enormous amount of minutes this last 12 months.
    He is 1351 minutes for the year, with 1028 of those for the Force.

By comparison (of a potential 1120 minutes so far)-
    Stewart will likely finish this season highest for the Force, currently on 1022 minutes (+ 20 in the naughty chair)
    Tizzano 987 (+ 20 in the naughty chair)
    Kuenzle 880 (Every minute since starting Round 3)
    Titatia 853
    Horton 838

With Donaldson out we should see an "unleashing" of what I would assume to have been a frustrated Burey.
    Last year, at his best, he was the equal to the average performance this year of Donaldson.
    It isn't as if we are bringing in an outsider, he will have spent time there all year at training.
    The hope is the injury was known quite early in the week.

I don't see either Bench holding particular superiority, with each holding conflicting strengths and weaknesses, it will largely come down to which better compliments where the match has gotten to when required, or if any early injuries.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I'm worried about their loosies

honestly worried

Williams adds a fair bit of bulk and quality to that equation, but Carlo and Reed will need to put in massive shifts to cover Reimer coming in off the bench.

For mine the weakness is Lonergan, handy because he'll also be the bloke who touches the pill almost every play. I think he's fragile and a couple good whacks from rampaging fringe defenders will cause him to lose his shit as we've seen so often. The longer we can keep Goddard off the pitch and fill Lonergan's brain with worry about how badly he's playing the better.

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I'm worried about their loosies
    Hooper and Valetini obviously first pick on those positions, though I think countered somewhat by the work rate of Tizzano and Prinsep and then supported by the mobility of Williams and particularly Horton. I would expect Williams to play 80, moving to #4 around the 60, and Horton will need a good 70 to cover current underperformance of alternative there. Harris would hopefully feel he has a point to prove on a fairly underwhelming season and Wells likely playing for his SRP future.

Lonergan has never really convinced me when the team is under pressure, having his best showings when the team is already humming, rather than vv. I certainly see White still in front of Lonergan and IFL in front of Goddard.

It's the type of match that a Card could well play a major role and likewise if this rain keeps coming.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Veteran
    vCash
    me no likey... A lot of big and important changes there.

I expect that our wingers will be exposed again, ESPECIALLY if we decide not to paly hard and lose the contact zone.

It could be a long night

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    me no likey... A lot of big and important changes there.

I expect that our wingers will be exposed again, ESPECIALLY if we decide not to paly hard and lose the contact zone.

It could be a long night
    Like every other match this season the contact zone is the ONLY consideration.

Win it and we'll do OK, lose it and I don't think it matters who plays on the wings. (or at 10 for that matter)

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    It could be a cold, wet miserable evening but we can only hope.
    Maybe by our last game of the season some players may have come to the same conclusion as nearly every commentator and fan in NZ and Australia that kicking the ball away every time you have eventually won it back is not the brightest move.

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Poolman and Leahy are massively exposed on the wings. See the game last week for evidence.

Leahy is playing out of position. Poolman is just massively below the standard required

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

Champion
    vCash
    Are there any better options? Poolman seems to be very much in favour!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast