Thread: More drama :(

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

More drama :(

I want my money
    Article from: </IMG>

By Josh Massoud
    January 15, 2008 12:00am

THE simmering drama surrounding Matt Giteau and Drew Mitchell's rich deals with the Western Force exploded last night, when it was revealed the pair had lodged a formal complaint against player agent Greg Keenan, who responded by claiming they owed him $1.25 million in unpaid management fees.
    The Wallaby stars allege Keenan accepted undeclared side payments to entice them west, and Keenan is now under investigation as a result of their joint complaint. The Rugby Union Players Association (RUPA), which handles player manager accreditation, is overseeing the inquiry.

Keenan, however, launched a two-pronged rearguard last night, claiming Giteau and Mitchell still owed him millions before accusing RUPA boss Tony Dempsey of accepting secret payments to lure players to his stable.

Dempsey last night vigorously denied the claims.
    "I've been given no particulars of any complaint at all so it would be inappropriate to make any comment in relation to the complaint," Keenan said.

"But it's interesting that a complaint has apparently come from two players who collectively are liable to pay my company in the vicinity of $1.25 million commission on their current deals."

It is understood Keenan has instructed his lawyers to begin proceedings to retrieve the unpaid monies from Giteau and Mitchell.

But Keenan must first answer the pair's complaint, which relates to his conduct while negotiating their deals with the Force two years ago. It is believed Giteau and Mitchell claim Keenan "double dipped" on their rich contracts by accepting payments from major sponsor Firepower designed to entice the boom duo west.

Last year The Daily Telegraph revealed Keenan billed Firepower $50,000 for "sponsorship consultancy advice" in 2006. The payment did not breach any existing ARU contracting protocol.

Giteau was reluctant to comment. "There's a bit more to it, but I don't really want to comment to be honest," he said.
    Both he and Mitchell, however, feel Keenan's conduct while negotiating their deals with the Force has breached RUPA's player agent behavioural code. Dempsey last night confirmed an investigation was under way.

"A complaint was lodged by Matt Giteau and Drew Mitchell in relation to Greg Keenan before Christmas and we are investigating those allegations," Dempsey said.
    "An inquiry is under way to determine whether there has been a breach of the code of conduct."

A three-man disciplinary panel will decide whether Keenan should face a hearing. If found guilty, he would face a punishment ranging from a fine to being stripped of his accreditation for life.

But the high-profile agent accused Dempsey of pocketing secret payments - from his management company.

"RUPA might also want to investigate the conduct of their CEO Tony Dempsey, who has been invoicing me for many years for players who he encouraged to join my management company without discussing with some (of them) that he would be receiving commission payments," Keenan said.

Dempsey angrily denied he ever "encouraged" players to link with Keenan, explaining that the commissions were an agreed form of payment for his former player management business.

"That's nonsense," Dempsey said. "When he bought my business, Greg could not afford the purchase price so he agreed to pay a percentage of each fee as consideration.
    "No money related to encouraging players to join Greg's company.
    "It was all part of the sale of my business."

I want my money | The Daily Telegraph

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Just imagine if Dempsey became the new Force CEO like some speculation suggested. The SMH would have more ammunition than the entire US military. I wonder what kind of fallout this new develop will have.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    a similar article,the SMH referred to firepower as the FORMER Western Force sponsor

vCash
    I dont understand how they still say its bad for the force it is between two players and there manager and RUFA had more to do with it that Force

vCash
    Im just glad that the Players have decided to do something about it finally... So far its been a one way shitstorm and Keenan is in it up to his neck!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by main game View Post
    I don't understand how they still say its bad for the force it is between two players and there manager and RUFA had more to do with it that Force
    Don't panic MG, there has been a significant amount of soil turned up until now. Any shit that is thrown in this fight will hit the whether it's reasonable or not.

It'll be really interesting now that O'Meara is gone to see the various reactions to this.

What will the SMH say about the ?
    Will the take the easy road and say 'that was all Pete's area and we'll ensure we're clean and sparkly now'?
    It'll make for interesting reading, that's for sure!

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Will the take the easy road and say 'that was all Pete's area and we'll ensure we're clean and sparkly now'?
    It'll make for interesting reading, that's for sure!
    That's the one

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Actually, I'd see it as drawing a very low bow to claim it has anything to do with the Force at all. Even if for some unknown reason the Force knew of the payment, as the article notes there is no protocol covering it. Mind you, after the last time it wouldn't be surprising if the ARU decided that a fine was in order for transgressing some unwritten backroom agreement between NSW and Q'ld from 1996 that everyone knows was actually a contracting protocol.

The players complaint that they should have been told is understandable, but even then they were presumably happy with the deal they signed. The only response I'd expect to see from the Force would be something out of the ARU phrase book, like "The situation is a potential concern so close to the playing season and we will monitor future events with interest".

vCash
    True AndyS, the Last half of the first paragraph is pretty much where my concern lies. The seem totally innocent in this, but total innocence has cost them $150,000 before!

C'mon the

vCash
    What do Gits and DrewShmoo get out of all this?

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Well, presumably a new agent for starters...

vCash
    At what cost?

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    Maybe they'll skip without paying him if they can discredit him enough!

C'mon the

vCash
    And what about all the bad press?

Gigsa made me do it

vCash
    it wont damage their playing skills. so i dont really see it having a big impact. if they do owe the money, that might damage their reputations though

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast