Thread: I'm not sure that Krige gets it!

vCash

I'm not sure that Krige gets it!

Krige boots Yeye into touch

Sunday 20th January 2008

Corne Krige says retaining Zola Yeye will be a mistake

Former Stormers and Springbok captain Corné Krige has taken yet another swipe at the South African Rugby Union (SARU). This week he was critical of team manager Zola Yeye, who he said was not an asset to the national squad.

http://www.planet-rugby.com/Story/0,...063693,00.html

My take on this.......Corne Krige isn't helping this argument at all, he might be perfectly accurate in his assessment of the skills of the relevant people, however one inescapable fact is working against him.....Everyone he's denounced is black and everyone he's recommended is white!

That doesn't look good when the argument is about transformation in South African rugby. Let's consider this
    Peter Devilliers - South African coach, Krige predicts seven lean years - Black
    Heineke Meyer - Krige's Suggested replacement - White

Zola Yeye - Team Manager, Krige says he will give birth to seven baby monkeys if he's appointed again - Black
    Morne DuPlessis - Krige's Suggested replacement - White

Gert Smal - Springbok Assistant coach , Krige suggests he should be retained since this will help DeVilliers earn the respect of the players - White

Naka Drotske, Rassie Erasmus - Krige's Suggestions for replacements if Gert Smal doesn't get the job - both white.

Now all of these guys might very well be the best coaches in South Africa, and there might not be a single black coach in the country who has the background to do the job, but a better way of addressing this would be to suggest what needs to be done to help black coaches and players meet the standard, not just keep picking white coaches and ignore the issue!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Earn their place at more relevant competition standards than the national team perhaps?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I don't see what the fuss is about De Villiers anyways he's been pretty successful at age-grade level. Heneke Meyer now was it 3 times that he has been sacked as a head coach for poor results? Then suddenly he has a few good years capped off by a championship that realistically was lucky to win off the Sharks. Doesn't make him a super coach. As for White how many times was Jake White threatened with being sacked over the past 3 years it must be close to about 3. He started well with a Tri-Nations win and did absolutely nothing good for the next 3 years until he won the World Cup which with not too much disrespect intended meant being England and Argentina and Fiji. No France, no Ireland, no Australia, no New Zealand. Give De Villiers a shot- I don't honestly believe he could possibly do that badly. Its long term planning (if not well thought through) if De Villiers if coach its likely more black players will play and if they do they make role models to the millions of young black kids and therefore unlocking a whole new playing population and making the national team stronger. How is that bad?

As for Yeye he's a dumbass and should be sacked.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Earn their place at more relevant competition standards than the national team perhaps?
    Yeah, like I said, I'm not sure that he isn't just stating facts, and the Black guys aren't ready for the job yet. But it smells fishy to me, that he's pushing so hard for so many big Afrikaner names. I would think that there are at least a few names out there that he could throw into the ring just to avoid the accusation isn't there?

C'mon the

vCash
    Maybe he's trying to avoid the opposite criticism, of displaying some sort of racial cronyism... either way I guess there's something in what Gigs says - at the very least good PR advice would suggest Krige talk about developing talent from all backgrounds, especially if there's no black coaching staff ready to step up at present.

Err yup... turns out Corne Krige isn't the guy in the photo. And he's not black.
    So he may just in fact be stuck in the old ways! Hmmm.
    Still, if all the best guys for the positions, in his opinion, happen to be white, then the second half of what I said still goes - there's obviously a need to give experience at a higher level to a broader selection of coaching staff.

Last edited by Em-Forcer; 23-01-08 at 18:49. Reason: Em-Forcer realises her error!
    Keeping the Faith ... right here in Perth!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    That doesn't look good when the argument is about transformation in South African rugby. Let's consider this
    Peter Devilliers - South African coach, Krige predicts seven lean years - Black
    I have to agree with Krige - With Devilliers as the new coach, that is the end of SA rugby and as for transformation....that is just a fancy word for "reversed apartheid"
    If you don't believe me just go to SA and you'll see apartheid is still alive and will never die.

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to ..........."

vCash
    Yeah, I've gotts ay I'm pretty clueless of the situation over ther, but even I can tell tensions are high. There certainly seems to be a big element in the Afrikaans community who are pushing to retain the "Old Ways" and there seems to be a similarly overt push in the opposite direction from black officials. I guess I'm against either argument really, but there needs to be an element of each sides argument in what the other says, otherwise, they'll keep fighting the same fight for the rest of history and getting nowhere.

Of course, SARU doesn't need to have a racism fight to be politically ridiculous and stupid, they can achieve that choosing what to have for lunch! They're worse than the ARU, and that's saying something!

C'mon the