Thread: Clash of hemisphere champions on the cards

Legend Contributor
    vCash

Clash of hemisphere champions on the cards

Wednesday 27th February 2008

The International Rugby Board (IRB) will discuss plans to stage a one-off match between the Six Nations and Tri-Nations champions when the governing body meets with rugby union's leading nations in Hong Kong on Sunday.

The idea will be the main focus of talks between IRB chairman Bernard Lapasset, deputy Bill Beaumont and the four home unions, France, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand at the Tier One CEOs meeting.

The possibility of a global tournament to run in between World Cups is also expected to be explored.

Hong Kong, set to host a Test match between Australia and New Zealand in the November, has already indicated they would be extremely interested in staging any 'best of the best' clash.

"We believe Hong Kong would be an excellent venue for such a game," Allan Payne, Hong Kong Rugby Football Union executive director, told the South China Morning Post.

"Part of our strategic plan is to look at hosting international matches and it would be a tremendous honour if we were asked to host this match."

Officials from both the Wallabies and the Kiwis will arrive in Hong Kong this week to look into facilities available for what would be the first encounter between the two sides on neutral ground outside of a World Cup.

Although the match is yet to officially be confirmed, Payne is confident there will be no obstacles preventing the IRB-sanctioned clash from going ahead.

"While nothing's been finalised yet, all parties, including the government, have welcomed the idea with great enthusiasm," added Payne.

"This support should give rugby officials a big boost as they make a play to host the touted global championship."

(Planet-Rugby)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I haven't formed an opinion on this idea yet, so I'm not particularly bothered either way... I like the idea of exporting marquee tests but a de-facto world championship is something I'm uneasy about. I think I'll just see how the dust settles and be happy with whatever happens

vCash
    I've read a few thing about this over past few days. I guess it's a case of wait and see what the executives come up with. More rugby can't be a bad thing

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Personally, I can't see it meaning much unless the game moves to a common international season - if it is not played as both teams simultaneously finish their respective competitions, it is just another EOY match.

vCash
    Yeah that thought occured to me. But when would they hold it then?

vCash
    Sounds like a good idea i would like to watch that.

it sounds similar to the NRL winner vs the Superleague winner game they do every year. It doesnt mean much to anyone but its good to watch

vCash
    Yeah but the same problem could emerge. With Rugby League World Club Challenge, the Super League is well into their season while the NRL club is usually just hitting pre-season, so the Super League clubs usually win it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Yeah but the same problem could emerge. With Rugby League World Club Challenge, the Super League is well into their season while the NRL club is usually just hitting pre-season, so the Super League clubs usually win it.

now theres something to think about jar! S14 winner v's heineken cup winner, id rather watch that than an international......

Last edited by slomo; 28-02-08 at 13:36.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    That's exactly the issue, but it might make a good pre season comp. How about top 4 S14 teams vs Top 4 Heineken cup teams in a tournament?

C'mon the

vCash
    Didn't I suggest in another thread a match-up between the 3N & 6N winner?

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    You're on par with the IRB Jedi!

Now all you have to do is figure out whether that's a compliment or an insult!

C'mon the