Thread: McKenzie's new option is Ireland

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash

McKenzie's new option is Ireland

McKenzie's new option is Ireland
    By Bret Harris
    May 21, 2008
    McKenzie's new option is Ireland - Super 14 - Fox Sports

NEW South Wales coach Ewen McKenzie is poised to reject an offer from French club Stade Francais and will look to pursue his career in Ireland.

According to an informed source, McKenzie is in the running for the head coaching job at Irish province Munster.

Munster is one of the leading teams in Europe and will play against Toulouse in the final of the Heineken Cup in Cardiff on Saturday.

The Munster job became vacant after Declan Kidney's recent appointment as Ireland head coach.

But McKenzie will have to compete against another Australian, Tony McGahan, for the Munster position.

McGahan, who has been Munster's defence coach for two-and-half-years, is highly regarded in Cork.

The Queenslander has been instrumental in helping Munster reach the Heineken Cup final and has a lot of support among the players.

He has also received an offer to assist Kidney at the Irish national team.

McKenzie was expected to take the Stade Francais job, but he has had second thoughts about coaching the Paris-based team. He has been talking to Stade Francais since before the Waratahs announced on April 1 that they would not be renewing his contract at the end of the Super 14 season.

After McKenzie guided the Waratahs into the Super 14 semi-finals with an 18-11 win against Queensland in Brisbane on Saturday, he even floated the idea of remaining in Sydney.

But this feeler did not meet with favour from Waratahs officials who had already decided to let him go. Even Waratahs players are saying both publicly that McKenzie should accept the NSWRU's decision and leave.

Unusually, McKenzie did not front the media at training in Sydney on Tuesday, leaving his players to spruik the Waratahs' semi-final match with the Sharks on Saturday night.

Waratahs No.8 Wycliff Palu has urged the team to continue to play attacking rugby and not adopt conservative tactics because of the pressure of semi-final football.

The Waratahs were criticised for playing boring rugby in the early rounds, but they have since successfully combined hard, driving forward play with a more expansive approach.

"That happens to some of the teams," Palu said. "They kind of go into their shell a bit. We'll be focused on playing the way we have been playing."

Palu has been a key figure in the Waratahs' attack, leading their try-scoring with five.

"I've probably been hanging out on the wing too much," Palu said. "I've been lucky."

Apart from scoring tries, Palu also led the competition in off-loads.

Palu said he had played more consistently this season because he had lost weight and been injury-free.

"I'm getting around the field a lot easier than I was last year," Palu said. "Last year I was 121 (kilos). I can feel the difference. It's just down to the weight loss and not getting injured.

"This is the first season I haven't been injured. It's been good to get back to back game time."

The Waratahs recorded a convincing 25-10 win against the Sharks in Sydney four weeks ago, but Palu is expecting a much harder contest on Saturday.

"I think they will be a much better side this time around," Palu said. "They'll be pretty tough. Semi-final football is a different story. I've been in this position in the World Cup with the Aussies and England (in the 2007 quarter-final).

"All the games in the round don't mean nothing if we go out this week and lose."

One of the highlights of the game will be Palu's head-to-head clash with exciting Sharks No.8 Ryan Kankowski.

"He is really skilful and he is pretty quick," Palu said. "Hopefully, he's out in the backs trying to run around them instead of trying to make me look bad.

"I think they are (one of the better backrows). They wouldn't be where they are now if not for their backrow. They work well as a unit and it is going to be pretty tough on Saturday."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Ewen McKenzie And The Poisoned Chalice

Why He Should Stay At New South Wales
    1. He's the best coach on the market. Qualifying for three semi-finals in five years - including a final - shows McKenzie knows how to get results. No other Autralian team has made the finals in four years.Wait till next year

2. McKenzie has changed the New South Wales culture from also-rans to contenders. He has overseen the end of long hoodoos against Queensland and the Brumbies, and cemented NSW as the top Australian Super 14 team.

3. He has the players' respect. McKenzie is black and white, and doesn't play games with selections. Australia internationals sign and re-sign to play under him, even if it's off the bench.

4. NSW rugby needs McKenzie's strength of character, shown most this season. He faces poisonous backroom politics, a tough media and fickle fans with honesty and a tireless work ethic.

5. He has overseen the recruitment and development of some of Australia's best rugby talent - Lote Tuqiri, Timana Tahu, Kurtley Beale, Lachlan Turner, Rob Horne and Luke Burgess. Such players may be lost to New South Wales and Australia if McKenzie were to leave the Waratahs.

There Are No Alternatives
    1. None of the three leading candidates has Super 14 rugby experience as head coach. Scott Johnson, Les Kiss and Chris Hickey have made their names largely as assistant coaches or in club rugby.
    2. Top target Scott Johnson is contractually tied to the United States, and the Eagles say they won't release him from the deal.
    3. The delay in naming a new coach shows there is no obvious choice. NSW Rugby missed the man they had been chasing since February - Michael Cheika.
    4. The political in-fighting at NSW Rugby has seen the shine taken off the Waratahs coaching position, prompting people such as Cheika to pass up the job.
    5. Key Waratahs staff are voting with the feet because of the uncertainty and confusion. Gone already are Todd Louden and Tony D'Arcy, and more will follow. McKenzie could ensure the Tahs don't implode next year.

Last edited by Flamethrower; 21-05-08 at 14:21.
    Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Did chook or Moses hack into your account Flamethrower?

vCash
    Are you feeling ok FT?

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Read the articles ya monkeys. Hardly pro Tahs.

Posted via space

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    Read the articles ya monkeys. Hardly pro Tahs.
    We're talking about your run down of the options....

vCash
    Ahhhh Forgot to put in the link from whence I copied it

Does anyone really think I give enough of a shit to write that myself??

Posted via space

vCash
    Does anyone really think I give enough of a shit to write that myself??
    Hence why we were shocked and I thought chook had hacked into your account.

vCash
    If it's more than 5 lines, it' a pretty safe bet I copied and pasted

Posted via space

vCash
    If it's more than 5 lines, it' a pretty safe bet I copied and pasted
    Freakin 'ell! I'll pay that Flambo!

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    Ireland would look after him, not like the Tahs.