Thread: Kumul Pride

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Kumul Pride

Far be it for me to defend League, but everyone loves an underdog, especially when they nearly pants the Poms!!!

Despite WIN's best efforts to make the change to DLS as hard as possible by not starting the coverage until after midnight in rural WA, I am so glad I stayed up to watch this exhibition from the PNG hard men, who play League like the Fijians play Union!

It was a fine example of what national pride, mateship, ingrained skill, pure hard hitting defence and not quite enough endurance can result in.

The reaction of the players to their first try will, I'm sure, be in the highlight reel at the end of the tournament, pure joy personified! And if there was any doubt of their hard hitting then Jesse Joe Parker going to hospital during the first half with a fractured eye socket should give the idea!

Jesse Joe Parker is a great story aside from the injury. One of the few PNG based players in the Squad, according to last nights commentary he earns $25/fortnight back home but while on tour he and the rest of the group are getting $100/day!
    Not only are many of these men playing for national pride but also for their very livelyhoods and futures, much as the code was originally formed for I guess!

So now the proud Kumuls move on to play the Kiwis and Kangaroos by virtue of being deemed the fourth strongest nation in League. Their one greatest moment of an upset has past having used up the fresh legs, the fullest of the passion and the element of surprise...but who knows, I can't help but think our nearest neighbours might just give the Kiwis, backing up from a Trans Tasman Test, a bit of a fright too... I guess when it comes to sport at least there's "a little bit of Kumul" in most Aussies, who doesn't love an underdog!

England battle back for victory

Foxsports
    October 25, 2008

WINGER Lee Smith scored a hat trick on debut to help England to a 32-22 win over Papua New Guinea in the opening World Cup game at Dairy Farmers Stadium.

England were headed towards an embarrassing first up defeat to the Kumuls when they trailed 16-12 at half-time but rallied with four tries to one in the final 40 minutes to secure the victory.

World Cup contenders England were expected to make easy work of the underdog Kumuls, but they were made to fight all the way before securing the win.

Smith scored in the 29th minute and again just 11 minutes after half time as England drew level at 16-all.

The Leeds flyer completed his hat trick on debut in the 73rd minute as the Lions eventually cruised home to take the Pool A encounter.

Fellow winger Ade Gardner also got amongst the tries to score twice while centre Martin Gleeson was England's other tryscorer in the six tries to four win.

Despite the loss PNG will be buoyed by their opening effort having really threatened one of the top rated teams in the tournament.

Rod Griffin levelled scores 6-all in the 20th minute before late first half tries to Jason Chan and George Keppa, in the final seconds of the half, gave the Kumuls an unlikely four point lead at the break.

But the Kumuls were unable to keep up the intensity in the second half, with Penrith hooker Paul Aiton ending the English domination by scoring a consolation try in the 75th minute.

Smith, 22, was happy with his first Test but said England had left plenty of room for improvement.

“It was personally satisfying but the team, we've got a bit to work on,'' Lee told Britain's Sky Sports.

“They came out tough but in the last 20 minutes we did all right.''

England coach Tony Smith said the close match will help his side later in the tournament.

“It will probably do us a world of good rather than a soft game, though we knew it wouldn't be a soft game,'' he said.

“We put a bit of pressure on ourselves not having enough composure in the first half. There are some lessons learned.''

PNG coach Adrian Lam criticised several decisions by referee Shayne Hayne, including a disallowed try for a forward pass while leading 16-12 early in the second half.

“That was devastating. It would have put us 10 points ahead if we had got the conversion as well,'' he said.

“That was a real hurt but we hung in there. A couple more decisions going our way and it's game on.''

But an emotional Lam was still confident his team could cause an upset over the Kangaroos or Kiwis in the coming weeks.

“Tonight we showed we are a young, courageous and spirited side and I couldn't be prouder of the way the guys played,'' Lam said.

“Tonight was a little bit about getting some respect back from the world of rugby league.

“We've obviously got a big task against New Zealand next week, and to be honest the last four weeks we have been planning to play and beat England.

“We entered the game truly believing we could win it and if we had a few of the 50-50 calls go our way who knows what could have happened.''

However, further souring the narrow defeat, PNG local Jesse Joe Parker was taken to hospital with a fractured eye socket in the first half and is unlikely to play again in the tournament.

England's win means they take the early lead in the pool ahead of the heavyweight clash between Australia and New Zealand at the Sydney Football Stadium.

However the Lions will need a huge improvement on the effort if they are to threaten Australia in their next game at Melbourne's Telstra Dome next Sunday.

The Kumuls meanwhile head to the Gold Coast to face the Kiwis at Skilled Stadium next Saturday.

AAP

England 32

Tries
    Ade Gardner 12m
    Lee Smith 28m
    Lee Smith 51m
    Martin Gleeson 58m
    Ade Gardner 70m
    Lee Smith 73m

Conversions
    Kevin Sinfield 14m
    Kevin Sinfield 30m
    Kevin Sinfield 59m
    Kevin Sinfield 71m

Kumuls 22

Tries
    Rod Griffin 20m
    Jason Chan 36m
    George Keppa 40m
    Paul Aiton 75m

Conversions
    John Wilshere 21m
    John Wilshere 37m
    John Wilshere 76m

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Aye it was a great spectacle. Fridays match between Tonga & Samoa promises to be a cracker too. The whole "world cup" concept is a bit of a joke so I can't see any valid reason for not letting Moi Moi and Tuiaki play for Tonga. Not required by NZ so let 'em play. Especially Moi Moi who already played in their qualifiers.

Thought Matt Geyer was the last remaining Western Red 'till I saw that match. Right colours too.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    The whole "world cup" concept is a bit of a joke so I can't see any valid reason for not letting Moi Moi and Tuiaki play for Tonga. Not required by NZ so let 'em play. Especially Moi Moi who already played in their qualifiers.
    Seems to be the latest I can find on this:

Moimoi, Tuiaki await RLWC fate

Rugby League World Cup 2008 Official Web Site

Parramatta's Fuifui Moimoi and Taniela Tuiaki of Wests Tigers will have to wait until Monday morning to find out if they can play for Tonga in the rugby league World Cup.

Tonga took their case against the Rugby League International Federation (RLIF) to Sydney's Supreme court, in a last ditch bid to play Moimoi and Tuiaki in the World Cup.

Justice Richard White will hand down his decision about the players fate at 9.30am Monday morning, hours before Tonga are due to play Ireland at Parramatta Stadium.

The pair have previously played for Tonga but are ineligible because players are only able to transfer teams once every two years and both did so to play for New Zealand in 2007.

At Sydney's Supreme court, Moimoi and Tuiaki's lawyer, Steven Stanton, said stopping the players from switching to Tonga would be an unfair restraint on their employment.

He said that because the pair will not be selected by Australia and New Zealand, the RLIF rules binding them were unfair.

"What we say is this: having been nominated by Tonga and no longer required by New Zealand ... we submit that there are no nations competing for these players," Stanton said.

"The reality is they were not selected by Australia or New Zealand."

RLIF's lawyer Alan Sullivan argued that the RLIF rules prohibiting players from switching teams are not restrictive and protect the integrity of the game.

"It would be a solemn farce if players were to (play) in New Zealand, then Tonga, then Australia," he said.

"Every other team in the competition has had to abide by (these rules)."

"What Tonga is seeking is to have a different playing field."

Sullivan argued there was no restraint of trade as both players were still being paid.

"On the evidence, Mr Moimoi has had significant gain and an increased salary," he said.

"What we say is on a practical level there is no restraint of trade.

"On the evidence before your honour ... the plaintiff has an extremely weak case."

Source: AAP

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I was surprised the crowd wasn't bigger, considering the crowds Japan got at the same ground in 2003 - this one was significantly smaller.

vCash
    Not sure about the refs wearing pink

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Think you'll find it is a fundraiser TQ1, pretty sure I heard that last night.
    Something about all the Captains signing them and then auctioning them off.
    Would assume for breast cancer awarness...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.