Thread: Cross fires warning to England rookies

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Cross fires warning to England rookies

Cross fires warning to England rookies

November 11, 2008 - 12:09PM

Australia's edgy forwards might be on the defensive, but fired-up Ryan Cross went straight on the attack after being recalled to the Wallabies' backline for Saturday's Cook Cup Test with England.

Cross will be reunited in the centres with skipper Stirling Mortlock when coach Robbie Deans names his team at 4am Wednesday AEDT.

After blooding several youngsters in last Saturday's 30-20 win over Italy, Deans will revert to the powerful line-up that started against New Zealand two weeks ago in Hong Kong - with the exception of one change in the back row.

Having fully recovered from an ankle injury, Hugh McMeniman is set to replace Dean Mumm as blindside flanker.

With Berrick Barnes (knee) unavailable, there was a vacant place on the bench but Deans seems set to once again overlook star winger Lote Tuqiri, who has yet to play this tour following minor knee surgery, in favour of Digby Ioane.

Once again, the British press have pinpointed the Australian pack as the weak link heading into the much-hyped sequel to last year's World Cup quarter-final in Marseille, where the English forwards monstered the Wallabies to set up a shock 12-10 victory.

The Wallabies forwards, quietly brooding and eager for revenge - even if they won't say so publicly - have been careful not to provide England with any ammunition since arriving in London.

Cross, though, was only too happy to spice the build-up, firing off a verbal warning to England's rookie backline, which - if the same as the one that started in last Saturday's 39-13 victory over the Pacific Islands - features five players with just 10 Test caps between them.

If England were planning to target the Australian scrum, then Cross made it clear where the Wallabies were plotting to strike back.

"I thought we played well in that first half against New Zealand. If we get more ball on the front foot, I think we can trouble these guys, hopefully," Cross said.

"They're a pretty inexperienced backline as well. Their combinations aren't with much experience.

"I watched some footage (of the Pacific Nations match). They're fullback and wingers are obviously very sharp, so we've got to contain those guys but hopefully we can put them under pressure early. They're inexperienced there.

"I think there's an opportunity for the backline if we play well. It's a good opportunity to put them under pressure and make a few tackles and see how we go."

Winger Paul Sackey, the 16-Test veteran of the England backline, has no doubt the Wallabies will be seeking retribution for their Marseille nightmare, which came four years after losing their World Cup crown to the old enemy in Sydney.

"It will have hurt them massively losing the final to us in 2003 and going out to us in France," Sackey said.

"They will be looking for revenge big time." Wallabies coach Robbie Deans insisted his side - which includes just seven survivors from the starting XV in Marseille - was merely excited by the opportunity that lay ahead at Twickenham.

"This is a new group carving out its own way," Deans said. "We won't be distracted by what has gone before."

Likely Wallabies side: Adam Ashley-Cooper, Peter Hynes, Ryan Cross, Stirling Mortlock (capt), Drew Mitchell, Matt Giteau, Luke Burgess, Richard Brown, George Smith, Hugh McMeniman, Nathan Sharpe, Mark Chisholm, Al Baxter, Stephen Moore, Benn Robinson. Reserves: Tatafu Polota-Nau, Matt Dunning, Dean Mumm, Wycliff Palu, Sam Cordingley, Quade Cooper, Digby Ioane.

© 2008 AAP

http://news.rugbyheaven.com.au/sport...1111-5m6k.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Well, this is it for the incumbent Props.
    Unless he is carrying an injury, Alexander has been ripped off.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Deans will go with wants he rested last week...But we could see Alexander on early if Baxter hasn't the metal…

vCash
    Deans will go with wants he rested last week...But we could see Alexander on early if Baxter hasn't the metal…

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I wouldn't want to see Ben waste the progress he's made by having a potential confidence shattering experience against England. Fact is as good as he played last week the English will be more wily and won't take any prisoners. I don't mind losing a test in the short term if it meant better gain in the long term. But did it have to be bloody England?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    The theory is though that the Italian Front Row is the equal or better than England though James, thay are all elite European Club players.
    In any case, there is no hiding this time for Trestle.
    Alexander isn't listed on the bench mud.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Player
    vCash
    Where does this 'likely' starting side come from? I find it hard to believe that Deans is talking to Grumbles? But last week it was spot on, so the info's coming from somewhere unless it was just as fluke

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Pretty sure they get to watch training Tommy, not much else to do except work on your beer gut and pies I guess.
    They would see the most common combinations used and the first pick selection normally are identified by their training bibs during training. Probably a bit like purple shorts I guess, don't hurt them!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Player
    vCash
    Fair enough. Pretty early in the week still though...

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    The theory is though that the Italian Front Row is the equal or better than England though James, thay are all elite European Club players.
    In any case, there is no hiding this time for Trestle.
    Alexander isn't listed on the bench mud.
    Perhaps with Castrogiovanni they would be equal or better but I think Sheridan is well and truly the world's best loosehead and Vickery has a hell of a lot tricks in his bag.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Oh Baxter has the metal, the hinges on his legs are made of metal.

War is Gods may of teaching Americans Geography

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Oh Baxter has the metal, the hinges on his legs are made of metal.
    and made for easy storage as well

vCash
    looks like Alexander didn't even make the bench...Perhaps Wales when?