Brumbies think they have Smith

Jamie Pandaram | December 15, 2008

GEORGE SMITH is in hot demand from French rugby clubs including Toulon but the Brumbies remain confident of retaining the superstar breakaway. ACT chief executive Andrew Fagan spoke to Smith before he left for the European tour and said the Wallabies No.7 won't be making a decision until February. "I was neither surprised nor concerned when I heard there was interest in George from French rugby," Fagan said. "If anything, I'm surprised I didn't hear about it earlier given his stature in the game." Smith won the RUPA player of the year award on Friday but was still on holidays in Europe. There were some suggestions he stayed to speak to Toulon, Brive and Clermont. Fagan said Smith's decision would not only be based on money. "Some people don't realise that it's not all financial … it doesn't suit some guys to just move their family overseas." The possibility of granting Smith a sabbatical similar to that of Rocky Elsom has not been discussed but Fagan said it was likely to come up in negotiations.
Sonny Bill returns

Toulon's star signing, Sonny Bill Williams, made his long-awaited return to the rugby field in the side's 30-9 victory over Montpellier at the weekend. After spending three months on the sidelines with a leg injury, Williams played the final 20 minutes in the centres. "The leg pulled up a bit sore but I feel everything is going ahead as planned. I'm happy to be back," Williams said.
Tah-ed and feathered

A no-holds-barred podcast talking all things Waratahs and rugby in general will be launched on Wednesday by former NSW media man Djuro Sen. Now that Sen has cut ties with the Tahs he will be able to reveal some deep and dark secrets on his new site ruggamatrix.com. Among the guests on the first show will be Lote Tuqiri and Ewen McKenzie.
The hero - John Drake

The World Cup-winning All Black and respected rugby commentator died suddenly at his home in Mt Maunganui at the weekend, aged just 49. Drake, a tight-head prop, played eight Tests including the 1987 World Cup final against France - the All Blacks' only title. Drake proved to be a brilliant analyst of the game in his media role, and his witty barbs will be missed.

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...189453165.html