Thread: Players out on the town on tour.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Players out on the town on tour.

For those of you who are still a little bewildered about the story behind the bad events over the weekend, like I am, a bit of a clarification who was where.
    Have categorised as "were out" and "not out" but there is every chance they were in two groups, one which went home early and possibly just went out for a feed.
    Looking at the playing postions I would suggest that the "not out" group would generally be heading home to the icepacks!

This is no witch hunt, I am just genuinely perplexed as what these blokes were thinking being out at that time of the night, pretty much regardless of location.

Did play and were out

Ben Hand,
    George Smith,
    Josh Holmes
    Christian Lealiifano
    Tyrone Smith,
    Stirling Mortlock
    Adam Ashley-Cooper
    Mark Gerrard
    Huia Edmonds,
    Salesi Ma'afu
    Shawn Mackay
    Peter Kimlin
    Patrick Phibbs
    Gene Fairbanks.

Didn't play but were out:

Nic Henderson,
    Francis Fainifo.

Did play but not out:

Ben Alexander
    Stephen Moore
    Guy Shepherdson
    Mark Chisholm
    Mitchell Chapman
    Julian Salvi
    Clyde Rathbone
    Alfi Mafi

Didn't play and not out:

Matt Toomua

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Perhaps, but I thought this was an interesting take. Generally ties up with the sort of timings we saw in Canberra too...

"So I was surprised to hear that his accident took place at 4am, because it was unlike Macca to be out at that hour anyway, and if he was, it was even less likely that he would have had anything much to drink.

But then I did some sums and some thinking, and realized that not every tour incident is bad behavior. Some of them are just downright, rotten misfortune. This was just an accident of timing.

For an evening match, you run out at 7.30pm. The game doesn’t finish until nearly 9.30, and immediately afterward you have a coordinated recovery session with ice etc followed by shower, dress and on the bus, by which time it is probably 10.30 at least.

Thirty minutes to the hotel and another thirty to have a team meeting and get changed. By the time those who are not doing injury rehab go out, they are dead sober and it is already midnight and they haven’t even been anywhere yet.

Remember here, we’re talking here about young men, who have spent the last two weeks with every minute accounted for. They have a full day off the next day with no training. The Brumbies had organized a secured hotel bus to pick them up from the club en masse at a predetermined series of times. And after two weeks of training/meetings/eating/rehab, everyone needs to let their hair down, or go they’ll go crazy cooped up in a hotel for yet another night. A few hours in contact with the punters at a club is not too much to ask.

No-one reports any skylarking or fooling around. Not the Brumbies, nor the police, nor the club staff who were first on the scene at the accident.

Shawn was simply, and horribly, struck by a speeding armoured security response vehicle whilst crossing the road..."
    http://www.theroar.com.au/2009/03/31...n-but-not-out/

vCash
    By the time the players had got back to the hotel, done what they had to do and got changed to celebrate their win and let their hair down, it was atleast midnight in Canberra. When they have time off, their allowed to to do what normal 20-something year olds do. I certainly didn't expect them to go to bed straight away, especially after a win and especially when some of them had family to catch up with before they headed off on a two week tour of NZ.

In the case of the Brumbies, there was atleast 15 of them and almost every precautionary security measure had taken place to ensure their safety. As far as what has been reported they weren't engaging in any illegal behaviour, they weren't doing anything they weren't allowed to and they had every right to be where they were when they were. Its just an unfortunate series of events that followed and maybe they do need curfews but I don't see how what they were doing was wrong or punishable.