Greg Growden | June 8, 2009

AT LAST Peter Kimlin may be able to get rid of the nickname "Noodles".

Kimlin received the tag after playing only the final two minutes of the last tour game of the end-of-season Wallabies tour last year, when he came on as a replacement against the Barbarians at Wembley Stadium.

However, the Brumbies forward may soon be a fully fledged Wallaby, as he is in contention for the vacant blindside breakaway position for the first Test against Italy in Canberra on Saturday night.

After Matt Hodgson seriously damaged his AC joint against the Barbarians, which will sideline him for several weeks, it was assumed Rocky Elsom would slot straight back into the Wallabies starting XV.

However, Elsom was a late withdrawal from the Barbarians line-up on Saturday because of bruising to a bone in his knee and there were concerns within the Wallabies team management yesterday that the injury might require another week's rest.

Wallabies coach Robbie Deans conceded yesterday "there is the prospect that Rocky may not be available."

This opens the way for Kimlin, even though he is primarily a second-rower.

Kimlin has also played in the back row, which will mean him vying with Dean Mumm for the spot.

If Mumm wins that battle, Kimlin, who had an excellent season for the Brumbies, is highly likely to at least be sighted on the Wallabies bench. Hodgson will remain with the Wallabies squad in Canberra for treatment.

Elsom, who rejoined the Wallabies yesterday after his Heineken Cup-winning campaign with Leinster, has not lost hope of a quick return to the green and gold.

"The knee feels fine," he said yesterday. "I will just have to wait and see how it is when I run around. But it would have been crazy to play with it on Saturday night.

"I'm pretty excited about coming back [to the Wallabies]. It looks a good brand, but I sort of knew that before I left. I've been looking forward to getting back into the program, even though I have been playing a lot lately."

While Wallabies halfback Luke Burgess had to be replaced just after half-time after hurting his hip while tackling Barbarians breakaway Jerry Collins, he is expected to start against Italy.

After such an excellent performance against the Barbarians, the Wallabies selectors have every reason to persevere with the same line-up against Italy. The Test team will be named tomorrow.

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...313033950.html