Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: D-Day for Dunning on club move

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

D-Day for Dunning on club move

Wayne Smith | June 09, 2009

Article from: The Australian

WALLABIES prop Matt Dunning admits he still is not sure what decision he will make today when he is forced to choose between moving to the Western Force or remaining with the Waratahs.

The Western Force has placed a deadline of close of business today on Dunning's decision, but the 43-Test prop said last night he would not make up his mind until he had spoken to his family and other advisers.

"I'll weigh up both offers when I have them both in front of me, which I don't yet," Dunning said. "Well, I've had both offers in front of me but I've asked for a couple of changes."

The 30-year-old veteran, arguably the only Test-standard prop in the country who genuinely can play both sides of the scrum, admitted the fact that he is teetering on 99 caps for the Waratahs would be a factor in his decision.

"It's only a figure, but it's still 99," he said. "But I would be silly to base my decision on wanting to bring up my century. Once you've played that game, you've still got two years of your contract to see out."

As loyal a Waratah as Dunning is, he realises that with Test props Al Baxter, Benn Robinson and Sekope Kepu and rising Wallaby-in-the-making Dan Palmer on the NSW books, he will be battling to get consistent game time next season.

The Force, by contrast, has guaranteed him regular starts, even after having also signed tighthead Tim Fairbrother from the Hurricanes.

Meanwhile, the Force has had to move on to Plan C in its hunt for a quality five-eighth. Plan A obviously was to retain Matt Giteau but when he decided to return to Canberra, the Perth club's focus swung on to Springboks and Stormers playmaker Peter Grant.

But confirmation from Grant that he has decided to take a big-money offer from Racing Club de Paris has activated a new strategy, to target Lions goalkicking five-eighth Andre Pretorius.

The 30-year-old former Springbok Test playmaker was contacted over the weekend, with Force chief executive Vern Reid hopeful the man who engineered South African Test victories over the All Blacks at Newlands in 2005 and Rustenburg in 2006 and England at Twickenham later that year will seriously consider a move to Perth.

It's safe to say Force officials are becoming edgy about securing a world-class five-eighth because the success or failure of their search almost certainly will decide whether teenage Test sensation James O'Connor will stay with the club.

Force officials gave O'Connor's parents an undertaking recently that they would not overburden their son with too much responsibility if he remained at the club -- which translates to finding a quality playmaker for him to partner until he feels comfortable about stepping into that role himself.

The Force is continuing to recruit on other fronts, with offers being made to Sydney University centre Mitch Inman and Australian Under 20 second-rower Tony Douglas.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015651,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Don't do it Andre Pretorius has a kicking game but is yesterdays man...He won't bring a running game to the Force and thats their game. He doesn't compliment the talent which is there with or without JO'C.... I'd rather see Toomua or Lealiifano join the Force and I'm not keen on that outcome as a Brumbies fan....

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Don't do it Andre Pretorius has a kicking game but is yesterdays man...He won't bring a running game to the Force and thats their game. He doesn't compliment the talent which is there with or without JO'C.... I'd rather see Toomua or Lealiifano join the Force and I'm not keen on that outcome as a Brumbies fan....
    We'll be sure to pass on your concerns to RWA.

vCash
    Please not Andre Pretorius
    He is definitely not what the Force need He did not play in 2008 due to injury and his 2009 season was rather poor playing for the Lions

vCash
    I did read recently somewhere that Lealifano may ask for a release depending on where he fits in.....
    Posted via Mobile Device

Champion
    vCash
    He would be mad to sign anything but a one year deal with the Victoria's coming in

Let hope we get Pretorius, he is an outstanding talent

Also, it goods to see the standard of reporting has a high standard!

The NSW Waratahs Lock we are chasing is KANE DOUGLAS!

Last edited by The Man; 08-06-09 at 23:54.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Kane DouglasDetails
    Name Kane Douglas
    Date of Birth 01/06/1989 (19)
    Place of birth
    Height 201cm / 6'7"
    Weight 115kg / 254lbs / 18st 2lbs

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Agreed. Pretorius just isn't worth the effort. JO'C is worth the effort though and if thats what it takes then so be it. Not that I would approve of such a move, but the Force would have a pack capable of playing ten man rugby. I suppose the upside of the move would be that if he came and JO'C stayed he might learn a bit about the kicking aspect of rugby that the South Africans do quite well while Australians don't.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    With Andre Pretorius's history of injuries the force could pay much for a donkey... There has to be a better choice out there... Pretorius just sounds like their giving up...

---------- Post added at 22:52 ---------- Previous post was at 22:42 ----------

The Force would be better doing a slow rebuild than just hiring any old rugby head has been with no knee cartilage...

vCash
    The Force would be better doing a slow rebuild than just hiring any old rugby head has been with no knee cartilage...
    Didn't you read the part about the undertaking to JOC's parents? They have to get a ten before when did you reckon? Friday was it?

Why are you still out there trolling Mud? It's quarter past one over there. I got an excuse - I'm on the payroll. Are you trying to get one more sleep in the bank by staying up all night?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Why are you still out there trolling Mud? It's quarter past one over there. I got an excuse - I'm on the payroll. Are you trying to get one more sleep in the bank by staying up all night?
    Hoping for a bite from people staying up late like me? (watching the Cricket)
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Hoping for a bite from people staying up late like me? (watching the Cricket)
    Didn't see your post 'till 3am. Too busy watching the cricket.
    Warners catch was a screamer, eh.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    not a bad effort from the Garden Knome
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by jargan83; 09-06-09 at 03:43.

vCash
    Bugger!

vCash
    thats what happens when you pick a shit side

The Cricket powerhouse of Ireland made the next round though
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast