Thread: Need some rule changes after last night!!

vCash

Need some rule changes after last night!!

Firstly the chiefs were much to strong last night. Their backs worked much harder in attack and defence and their counter attacking was bloody insane all night.

There were however a few calls by the on field official that really don't sit right with me! He wasn't wrong, he was just interpreting the rules the way they are written.

That is the problem. The way the rules are stated!

The first is the intentional knock-down. Now as far as I am aware this rule only applies if the ball is knocked forward by the defender. What does it matter if the ball is knocked forward or back wards? If it is an intentional knock-down it really shouldn't matter! The player knocking the ball down isn't making any attempt to hold onto the ball they are just disrupting the attack because it is their only option.

It is my opinion that this rule needs to change, I believe it has changed during full ELV trialling but got canned maybe? I seem to remember a fella getting sent-off during a European game for the exact action. You all know what incident I am referring to if you were at the game last night!!

Secondly the dangerous tackle rule gives me the sh#ts! At the moment the rule is read to state if the tackled players feet are above his head when coming down, it is a penalty against the defence. Now if this rule is read exactly the same every time there may be an instance when a player is dumped on his arse with his his head hitting well after but because his feet may some how have been lifted in the air due to the physical interaction that this must be deemed dangerous!

If you were at the game you know what I am referring to here! When the chiefs player was eventually placed on the turf, his feet were above his head but his head, body and hip were from what i could see in line when he hit the ground; no angle between his body and the ground on impact.

For me the rule needs to change from feet above the head to hips above the head. Eventually the way things are heading with this no tolerance to the "dangerous" tackle, big hits won't exist for long. If you drive an attacker back lift him a little then drop him down on his back and his feet went above this head that is dangerous by the rules!

Additionally but not so important a rule change is the "high" tackle. Now if i am not mistaken the Chiefs defenders hit some Force players high early in the first half. Now The shoulder of the tackler may have hit low, but the forearm and hards of the tacklers did not! Again maybe the rules need to change to state is a defender makes contact to the head of an attacker with the forearm or hand it should be deemed high!

Some of these ideas are probably pipe dreams and again have too much possibility of interpretation. but I needed to vent.

I just hope the depleted Force can get over for at least one game this year!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I vote - GIVE US A RECTANGLE STADIUM!!!!!!

vCash
    ...and what an excellent vent it was too.

Only they are laws; not rules.

Dear reader, you may or may not be surprised, but I agreed with the 'dangerous' tackle call against JOC. His intent was obvious. It was just lucky for the tackled player that he got taked around the legs by another player, thus preventing the outcome JOC wanted.

As for the high tackle on Wykes - well, I don't think a law change will help that one. I just think the ref must not have seen it clearly.

....did anyone else (listening to the ref with Sports Ears or watching Foxtel) notice the ref's clanger on the very first lineout?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Numbers?

vCash
    Was that the one called not straight?

So no comment on the knock-down?

Well just hope the guys meld a little better each week.

I vote - GIVE US A RECTANGLE STADIUM!!!!!!

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post

....did anyone else (listening to the ref with Sports Ears or watching Foxtel) notice the ref's clanger on the very first lineout?
    I'll get back to you on that.

* starts up iinet freezone *

edit: "advantage numbers"?

Last edited by blueandblack; 01-03-10 at 09:48.
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue