Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cooper commits to Queensland Reds

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Cooper commits to Queensland Reds

Even though finalisation of his contract with the Australian Rugby Union is still pending, Cooper said he wanted to clear the air on his Super Rugby intentions so he can focus on his immediate goal of playing well for the Wallabies.

"I'm really happy in Queensland: my family's here and I enjoy being with the guys and the style of footy we're playing under Ewen (Head Coach Ewen McKenzie)," said Cooper, the 2010 Investec Bank Super 14 Australian player of the year.

"We have some great combinations developing and more of our guys are coming into the Wallaby squad, so the Reds are definitely going places.

"There has been a lot for me to weigh up and I'm grateful that the Reds and the Reds fans have given me space to do that - as they have supported me in so many ways this year.

"But being close to family is important to me and I really do want to be a part of where the Reds are heading, so I've decided to confirm my commitment to the Reds now so I can focus on my immediate goal, which is to play well for the Wallabies."

McKenzie welcomed Cooper's decision to commit to the Reds.

"I know it's probably been a bit frustrating for our fans but these things can sometimes take time and in Quade's case he's a 22-year old player in demand and it was a bit more complicated.

"But he's made the right decision for the right reasons and we can now move ahead together to plan and prepare for next year's Super 15.

"This is Queensland's time in the sun and Quade knows it and wants to be part of it," McKenzie said.

Cooper's first game for the Reds in 2011 will be his 50th Queensland cap since he made his state debut against Japan at the end of 2006 as an 18 year old barely out of school. He was thrust into Super 14 rugby for the first time in February 2007 against the Crusaders and has since played 48 Super Rugby matches.

He made his Wallaby debut against Italy in 2008 and scored a try on debut. Following his dominant performances in Super Rugby in 2010, he has been the first choice Wallaby flyhalf for the Test matches against Fiji and England. He earned his 13th Test cap against England in Perth last night.

As well as winning Player of the Year from the 2010 Super 14, Cooper also scored the try of the series, an ensemble effort he started and finished against the Crusaders in Round 2.

His 171 points for the Reds in 2010 was the most by any Reds player in a Super Rugby campaign, breaking the previous mark of 155 set by John Eales in 1996. That brought his career tally to 208, ranked fourth all-time on the Reds' Super Rugby points scoring list.

In 2010 Quade also broke the record for the most points scored by a Reds player in a Super Rugby match, with his 31 points from two tries, three conversions and five penalties against the Crusaders topping Elton Flatley's previous mark of 26.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quade might be in the ear of JOC now to get him back to QLD
    Posted via Mobile Device

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...13/2925745.htm

Was about to post this article myself.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    I knew this since speaking to one of Cooper's close family friends when in Brisbane for the Force game there.
    It's all been a game from his management to get more Moolah from Queensland
    he never had any intent to come here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    Posted via Mobile Device
    in a couple of years, anything is possible

vCash
    Once JO'C wins the World Cup for Australia we'll let the Reds buy him back off us!

Then we'll pick up the next batch of Queensland rejects and train them up, too.

vCash
    well the Force are going to struggle to pick up a decend 5/8 for 2011 this late in the season, especially in a RWC year. Why the Force did not put more emphasis earlier in the year in grabbing either Lealifano or Toomua bewilders me.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Hope he doesn't do a "digby"

vCash
    I wouldn't want him if he did a Digby.

C'mon the

vCash
    well the Force are going to struggle to pick up a decend 5/8 for 2011 this late in the season, especially in a RWC year. Why the Force did not put more emphasis earlier in the year in grabbing either Lealifano or Toomua bewilders me.
    That's abit premature I would think..in any case, they know who they wanted and put more emphasis there. Didn't come to fruition so now time to find another targer..

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    You mean why the media didn't - as they haven't with others as yet unreported...

vCash
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Thats sounding a bit like Muddie there mate... stop stirring the pot.

vCash
    HOO-RAY! A good (somewhat expected) result and no more speculation!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Testing times have turned to triumph for team Cooper

Testing times have turned to triumph for team Cooper
    GREG GROWDEN
    June 14, 2010

So what was the biggest moment of relief for the Wallabies over the weekend?

That they defied the age-old adage that scrums win matches, devastating England in the process? No.

That Quade Cooper yesterday opted to ignore the approaches from the cowboys at the OK Corral and will remain in Queensland for another season? Yes.

Countless officials at the Australian and Queensland rugby unions were in a state of ecstasy yesterday when it was announced the Test five-eighth had told the Western Force that, despite a mountain of gold being thrown his way (of course there were no third-party deals involved), he was going to remain a Red.

The reasons for their excitement don't just revolve around his footballing prowess, and how it has transformed Reds rugby. It is also about the making of a man, and the transformation of a character who, as shown in the past, can be swayed into heading into unnecessary and dangerous directions.

Cooper's life took a dreadful dip late last year when he was charged with burglary. Until his court case is heard early next month, he is under a dark cloud. In the interim, many have come to his rescue, including his family, the QRU, the ARU and close friends, who have worked on rehabilitating a phenomenal football talent.

There was a serious and justifiable concern that if Cooper headed to Perth, he would lose the advantage of having the strong support network that has had such an influential effect in keeping him focused on his football, and ensuring he sticks to his pledge of staying off the drink. If he had headed to the other side of the country, the concern at ARU and QRU levels was ''out of sight, out of mind''.

Cooper has this year felt an obligation to those around him who have given him advice and support during a traumatic period. And he has stuck to his word. Apart from a few drinks at the end of a rousing Reds Super 14 season, Cooper has not touched alcohol, enjoying the money he has been able to save from not getting caught up in the occasional binge drinking session, while his teammates have relished the fact he is now the designated driver.

Cooper says he has become a far stronger character. It is certainly working on the football field, with his Australian Super 14 Player of the Year prize being followed by the official man-of-the-match award at Subiaco Oval on Saturday night.

He is giving the Wallabies that required unpredictable edge, and as long as the gremlins stay away, the No.10 Test jumper could be his for the long term.

Not surprisingly, Wallabies coach Robbie Deans is being asked to compare Cooper with Dan Carter. He carefully sidesteps the subject. But it is clear Deans doesn't want Cooper turning into another All Black he has been involved with: the flighty and unpredictable Carlos Spencer.

''Quade is Quade,'' Deans said yesterday. ''He is very gifted - that's evident - and he's starting to build a bit of toughness. Test match rugby is about toughness, it's not about talent. He's been through an experience off the field which has obviously hardened his resolve, and he's really valuing what he has got, and enjoying it as a result.

''It revolves around the school of hard knocks. It was tough playing for the Reds last year. They were a young group who were quite impetuous, and they probably overplayed their hand. Quade was a part of that. But they did like to have a go, and you can't fault that. What he's done is learnt the art of when, and considering more of the interests of the team and group rather than what excites him.''

In gratitude, Cooper yesterday paid tribute to his support group. ''It would have been hard to walk away from them and go to the Force,'' he declared.

And so say all of us.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...0613-y63c.html

vCash
    I like the lad more and more - a simple straight answer I wish him luck in the future.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast