Thread: Tributes to Our Captain

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

Tributes to Our Captain

With Sharpie announcing his retirement at the end of this Super Season. I thought this would be a good spot to show our gratitude to the great man.

On a personal note - I wanted to say:

Sharpie thank you for taking such a risk and coming to WA to help establish the Western Force.

Thank you for helping establishing a culture of never say die and never quit.

Thank you for believing in the Force and staying with us until your retirement.

Thank you for taking the time to talk to my daughter and to sign her football.

Thank you

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Port Macquarie

"Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place and I don’t care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done! Now if you know what you’re worth then go out and get what you’re worth. But ya gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain’t where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody! Cowards do that and that ain’t you! You’re better than that!" - Rocky Balboa

vCash
    Ditto +

Thanks for the memories Sharpie.
    You're a bloody Legend

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to ..........."

vCash
    Thank You just doesn't seem to cut it..for all that you have done for Rugby, and the Western Force, and the WA rugby community....
    Thank you for just being you, and most all for the memories you have given me...
    I sincerely hope you stay in WA....

Seeing you at the RWC will be something I will never forget, and being a witness to you running on for your 100th...just awesome!!!
    Thanks Sharpie...

vCash
    Yes a simple thank you isn't enough for this bloke. He's been the foundation rock of this team. In a professional team that is more accessible to it's supporters than probably any other, he's been the most accessible player. Always the last to leave the ground and always has time for a quick chat. There's no doubt he'll be a success in his new careeer, I just hope there's time for an ongoing role with the Force.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Ditto to all the above.

A gentleman and scholar.

I know he was not born or raised here but for the last 6 years plus, I can only sum him up as a West Australian " Legend in our Time", and it was an honour and a privledge to watch him play and have a photo or two after a match.

My lasting memory is seeing him as the last to leave and first to acknolwedge the supporters after each and every home game.

The game in WA is better off for him having come across, and Sharpie has made a difference.

We will miss him, but wish him all the best in his future endevours.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    BamBam has big shoes to fill but I couldn't think of a better successor to a brilliant mentor .. Many Thanks Sharpie!!!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Onya Sharpie! Gentleman, Champion. Thank you for coming across to WA.

Last edited by blueandblack; 11-02-12 at 07:15.
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    The ultimate team man and therefore the ONLY choice for inaugural captain. True to form, sharpie didn't let the announcement of his retirement overshadow Bam's captaincy announcement.

That's the style of the bloke, completely professional, yet passionate and inspiring (bloody oath we did)

My enduring memory will be leaning up against a fence at Dowling street on a junior registration day shooting the shit and talking up the new season (think it was 2007) he seemed just as interested in the prospects for my boy's group of under 10s as I was in the prospects for the Force.

He's a bloody legend of the game and deserves every accolade that's coming to him!

C'mon the

vCash
    My memories of Sharpie in seasons past will be of all those post-game interviews where he was obviously gutted about the narrow losses or draws but still managed to hold it together and say something that was enough encouragement to turn up again the next week. And then immediately he would walk over to the supporters, shake every hand and sign everything that anyone handed to him.

I won't forget meeting him face to face about this time last year while he was helping promote local club rugby. He had an easy manner, was charming and when I felt his arm around me whilst having a photo taken I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

I will also never forget how far king tall he is.

I can only hope I have one more overwhelming memory when this season draws to a close and that will be of how happy he is when the Western Force gets their inaugural finals' berth.

vCash
    here's one via brownie's twitter:

Richard Brown @rickobrown
    The biggest bald man says one more time , let's rip in for him

Marco Piva @McMarcoP Close
    @rickobrown Bollocks. I NEED to see @NathanSharpe5 play well into his 50s. He won't look much different then anyway.
    Retweeted by Richard Brown

he has a point. haha