Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Grumpy Old Men Have Feelings Too.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash

Grumpy Old Men Have Feelings Too.

Round 14, the testing round.

Why testing?

Because Cott have one more week to go until they get their RugbyWA funded first team back. Or will they? Word is most of them are scuttling back to Sydney to play Shute shield. Can they afford to fly six of them back for the finals? 'Cause they're going to need them.

Because Pally will lose another five of their better players to a badly timed and frankly selfish mid season trip to Bali. What planet do these players come from?

Because Associates have lost so many players to injury they are contemplating buying the Shenton Park Rehabilitation Centre with what's left over from Eric Hall's bequest.

Because Rockingham are scaring the bejesus out of all the teams above them (and there are still quite a few) with their current form. Whatever they're taking, I'll have some of that.

Because Nedlands are due to run out of the luck they have had over the last two months which has seen them on the right side of every close game. As Tony Abbott once famously said, shit happens, eventually. Yes, they are a good disciplined side, but no one wins all those tight games, not all of them, without incredible good fortune.

Because Uni first Grade have lost their nerve and will to win, and no-one can buy that.

Because Kala are reaping the rewards of relying on the words and commitment of the perfidious and the grasping. Enjoy.

Because Perth ... well ...just because when you're screwed, you're screwed.

Because Wanneroo ... let's just say the highlight of their season has to be playing Perth.

Because Wests have had a season of so many distractions off the field, that if it wasn't for Westie's commitment, and the benefit of some extra ordinarily dodgy refereeing and line calls from Yoda, they would now be out of the hunt. As it is, they have nothing to lose.

Now let's see 'em all go for broke.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by fulvio sammut; 08-07-13 at 21:43.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post

Why testing?

Because Cott have one more week to go until they get their RugbyWA funded first team back. Or will they? Word is most of them are scuttling back to Sydney to play Shute shield. Can they afford to fly six of them back for the finals? 'Cause they're going to need them.
    Six players - are they signing more? Interesting that Cott is still winning without any EMF help...

In the words of an immortal Aussie Politician.... "Please explain"

'Rugby and sex are the only things you can enjoy without being good at them.' -anonymous

Champion
    vCash
    Awesome stuff Fulvio. I reckon Soaks and Neddies have filled Shenton Park. But I like your synopsis, pretty much bang on the moolah.

Champion
    vCash
    Doesn't it piss you off that players go on holiday during the season.Last season 2 of our players went to the states for a 4 week piss trip and they have gone away together again[I'm suspicious]they won't get the chance to do it to us next season

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

vCash
    I know that it is club rugby but it is a big problem at this time of year - Uni holidays, pis drinking holidays, getting married mid season.... what to do?

'Rugby and sex are the only things you can enjoy without being good at them.' -anonymous

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DinkyDi View Post
    I know that it is club rugby but it is a big problem at this time of year - Uni holidays, pis drinking holidays, getting married mid season.... what to do?
    have the bucks night where you sit in surfers paradise, drinking while watching the force game on Saturday night

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansie View Post
    Awesome stuff Fulvio. I reckon Soaks and Neddies have filled Shenton Park. But I like your synopsis, pretty much bang on the moolah.
    moolah....hansie you're about 70, you can't say that

vCash
    No idea what perfidious means but here's the state of play at Kala.

The main problem with our prems squad is size. We have probably the smallest tight 5 in premier grade. We have a very good backrow and some quality backs but it's up front where we're starting to struggle. Rocky were able to overpower us in contact as did Cottesloe leading to losses. A bit more time needs to be put into the gym by some of our boys too so we can be more effective in the contact areas. A higher level of fitness by a few boys wouldn't hurt either to improve our urgency with and without the ball.
    That's where we're at, we need to be a touch fitter and bigger and our game style would be hard to stop.

There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NTT View Post
    No idea what perfidious means but here's the state of play at Kala.

The main problem with our prems squad is size. We have probably the smallest tight 5 in premier grade. We have a very good backrow and some quality backs but it's up front where we're starting to struggle. Rocky were able to overpower us in contact as did Cottesloe leading to losses.....That's where we're at, we need to be a touch fitter and bigger and our game style would be hard to stop.
    I hope you take this in the spirit it's intended, but I'm not convinced it's lack of size of forwards. After all, Razor is not small as with 'Tiki' (? - the #6 or #8) who are both extremely powerful. My humble opinion (and that of another couple of ex-player refs) is that they focus on the ball very early and sacrifice body position and height, and if they don't get hands on, especially Razor, then they continue to focus on the ball (which they can do) being a pain.

I was discussing it with a ref the other day, that perhaps if they then stepped thru past the ball and forgot about trying to pick it up, this would allow more frequent and successful counter rucks and quick turnover for their own 9 ?

Perhaps I'm a frustrated coach as well as a frustrating ref. Only a thought.

vCash
    The 6 is Tali (pronounced Tully). Our backrow is of decent size and ability, it's the tight 5 that i would like to see improve. We could use a 6ft 5 120 kg wrecking ball of a lock and more mobility in our front rowers, then again couldn't everyone.
    I agree our counter rucking should focus more on clearing bodies than going for the ball, but the coach lets Razor, Tali and Lukas decide at the contest what to do in the situation.
    Training in the last few weeks has focused on cleaning up our ruck work through better techniques, strategies and decision making. Hopefully it changes for the better.

There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NTT View Post
    The 6 is Tali (pronounced Tully). Our backrow is of decent size and ability, it's the tight 5 that i would like to see improve. We could use a 6ft 5 120 kg wrecking ball of a lock and more mobility in our front rowers, then again couldn't everyone.
    I agree our counter rucking should focus more on clearing bodies than going for the ball, but the coach lets Razor, Tali and Lukas decide at the contest what to do in the situation.
    Training in the last few weeks has focused on cleaning up our ruck work through better techniques, strategies and decision making. Hopefully it changes for the better.
    Yeah, I guess I was focusing on backrow, which I think is strong. I agree that a single huge 2nd row in the mould of Tali and Razor's physicality would be a great bonus. Either way, I always enjoy watching or reffing Kala. For a lot of the previous negative press Josh got as coach, I always enjoy seeing him at games.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Rookie
    vCash
    Was the 7 new ? I didn't recognize him
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    The 7 is Lukas Birch from our U/20s and is also a Rugby WA academy member. He goes alright for an 18 yr old, just needs to find consistency but will benefit greatly from Tali and Razor's experience.
    Josh is a very enthusiastic guy who can get a bit too vocal on game day but is quite knowledgeable and is willing to help younger coaches like myself and younger players too. Love him or hate him he brings an undeniable amount of experience with him after playing 250+ professional games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post

Why testing?

We forget to mention Cott are still currently blessed with several RugbyWA funded level 1 Academy boys and even RugbyWA employees whilst the big 7-8 are Shute Shielding it. Cott RUFC 203 Underwood Ave, Mt Claremont. Love it.... oh and Tane Manga from Rocky.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    We forget to mention Cott are still currently blessed with several RugbyWA funded level 1 Academy boys and even RugbyWA employees whilst the big 7-8 are Shute Shielding it. Cott RUFC 203 Underwood Ave, Mt Claremont. Love it.... oh and Tane Manga from Rocky.
    Firstly - no one in the academy is funded so boo ya sux to that idea. There has been no funding since Nucci set up his all failing national academy. Re Employees.... ha ha.... and whats your point? Someone works for RWA is not in the squad or formally in any academy etc should be allocated out to clubs along with the Force players and the unpaid academy guys... hmm Pacman... taste of sour grapes... a little vinegar?

Of course, this could be a massive conspiracy to now staff Rugby WA with overseas and test level players under the guise of development officers and cleaners just to help fund a western suburbs take over of the local comp... Brilliant

BTW - have a look at who these people have played for since juniors and how long they have been playing in the local comp for their current teams.....

Definitely a bad batch of cultivars of Vitis vinifera

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast